Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:43 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,079,845 times

Advertisements

I appreciate a lot on this forum, most already said. But I am curious about something. I fully understand why so many pre retirement people like myself are on here as well as those struggling with retirement, either financially, emotionally or physically are regulars on here with many posts. But what I don't understand is why there are so many busy, worry free, successful retirees still are on so often? I have read some old threads where once retired, you basically never see that person on again, which is what I would expect. While not exactly obsessed with retirement, it is a near goal that I very much think about and look forward to, so I check in regularly to se if there is something else to really learn. Once I get there, though I would expect my participation to drop by 9/10s or more.

I never actually sit down at a computer and decide to visit here. I am 95% here on my phone (explains a lot of typos) during a break or lunch or maybe waiting for whatever, so I make use if the time here. Maybe a lot more people want to contribute to the knowledge base than I would expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 03:14 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I appreciate a lot on this forum, most already said. But I am curious about something. I fully understand why so many pre retirement people like myself are on here as well as those struggling with retirement, either financially, emotionally or physically are regulars on here with many posts. But what I don't understand is why there are so many busy, worry free, successful retirees still are on so often? I have read some old threads where once retired, you basically never see that person on again, which is what I would expect. While not exactly obsessed with retirement, it is a near goal that I very much think about and look forward to, so I check in regularly to se if there is something else to really learn. Once I get there, though I would expect my participation to drop by 9/10s or more.

I never actually sit down at a computer and decide to visit here. I am 95% here on my phone (explains a lot of typos) during a break or lunch or maybe waiting for whatever, so I make use if the time here. Maybe a lot more people want to contribute to the knowledge base than I would expect?
Perryinva,
I would guess that it is time on one's hands, loneliness, lack of enough people with whom to interact, wanting to express opinions & ideas, idleness, being at one's computer a good deal of the time, growing older with infirmities, seeing how one's opinions are responded to, wanting to feel a part of the world, no longer needing to work so one can fill time by visiting City-Data, enjoying reading the opinions & problems & insights of others, gaining insight into how other retirees are living their lives, having a place where people listen to you (by reading), sharing one's knowledge, trying to help others, acquiring knowledge about a wide variety of things by reading the topics & posts, an enrichment.

Some have said they do not find many people in their daily life that are interested in listening to their opinions & ideas - so coming here fills a gap.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:30 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post

I have wondered the same thing. Perhaps they are not as well off as they say and are trying to make money on this forum with frequent posts. I see some are $500 and $5000 winners.

Then again, they might just be helpful, bored or the park benches are already full of people feeding the pigeons.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:37 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
i am on whenever we have down time . i rarely watch tv so i prefer to spend my early mornings and days we are watching the grand kids or home on line .

being in to photography we are usually out shooting a few hours daily and then head back home . the winters give us more down time as we are not out as much .

or if we watch the kids i have my nook while they nap or eat . all in all we are pretty busy but today it is so easy to pop on anywhere it is always something to do .

there is always gaps of time nothing is going on at moments that leave you free to do whatever in between .

folks spend more time staring at and playing with their smart phones in a day than i spend on line .

Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times
This is a similar thread from 2015:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...etirement.html

Old 01-02-2017, 06:19 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
There was a long many pages topic here and I read every post. I don't remember the title but the topic was do retired age women or widowers want to remarry.
This was of great interest to me as I would like a girlfriend and maybe marry. Something I hadn't thought of and was disappointed to learn was.
The great majority of women have their own money, they don't need yours, they dont want to cook, clean up after a man anymore or take care of a sick old man. They don't need a man for anything and like their independence.
I stand little chance.

Not necessarily - I was one of the women who said I would not remarry but I've said I would never marry an Italian (I did) and I would never move back to Florida (I did). Never say never.

I would think a senior or retired single man would have little trouble finding a woman. The thing is finding the right woman. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I have wondered the same thing. Perhaps they are not as well off as they say and are trying to make money on this forum with frequent posts. I see some are $500 and $5000 winners.

Then again, they might just be helpful, bored or the park benches are already full of people feeding the pigeons.

I've seen this under some poster's names. What does it mean?

Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
we won some money in some contests city data had

Old 01-02-2017, 07:53 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,575 times
This particular sub forum is almost an anomaly. The posters are almost always courteous, have good insight and have been very helpful on many levels. In fact, I would like to issue a public 'Thank You and a Happy New Year!' to all the unwitting volunteers to our mental health- and financial planning.
Before coming to this community, DW and I were nowhere near where we needed to be age-vs-investments wise. I sailed our 'listing' retirement ship into this forum, sifted through all the advice, and paid special attention to information that could help our situation. Our ship appears to be upright. We still aren't where we would like, but are much better off now that we've learned to focus on our financial future instead of day-to-day living. There was direct help to us by learning to manage our funds and navigate the labyrinth that is SS and Medicare....all from advice from those that have been there.
We will be retiring this year, and we just returned last night from our first venture to look at areas that may be conducive to us in retirement. The biggest takeaways from our adventure were 1) how expensive areas in the west can be , and 2) how many homeless we encountered on the streets everywhere we went. Some areas were really bad, with people every place one could pitch a tent or cardboard box on sides of freeways, behind shopping centers, next to train tracks. It was depressing. When walking downtown in two cities, DW and I were approached by someone on the street asking for money, while 20 others looked on to see our response. It felt like feeding the first pigeon, and we felt we had to say 'no' for our own survival, regardless of how much we wanted to help.
My hope is that anyone that visits this forum gains knowledge that can keep them from that fate; sometimes we need a reminder that no matter how much we think we might struggle in life, it looks like it CAN get worse!!

Best to all on this forum; hope the community can help guide you to safe waters-

Old 01-02-2017, 08:22 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
This particular sub forum is almost an anomaly. The posters are almost always courteous, have good insight and have been very helpful on many levels. In fact, I would like to issue a public 'Thank You and a Happy New Year!' to all the unwitting volunteers to our mental health- and financial planning.
Before coming to this community, DW and I were nowhere near where we needed to be age-vs-investments wise. I sailed our 'listing' retirement ship into this forum, sifted through all the advice, and paid special attention to information that could help our situation. Our ship appears to be upright. We still aren't where we would like, but are much better off now that we've learned to focus on our financial future instead of day-to-day living. There was direct help to us by learning to manage our funds and navigate the labyrinth that is SS and Medicare....all from advice from those that have been there.
We will be retiring this year, and we just returned last night from our first venture to look at areas that may be conducive to us in retirement. The biggest takeaways from our adventure were 1) how expensive areas in the west can be , and 2) how many homeless we encountered on the streets everywhere we went. Some areas were really bad, with people every place one could pitch a tent or cardboard box on sides of freeways, behind shopping centers, next to train tracks. It was depressing. When walking downtown in two cities, DW and I were approached by someone on the street asking for money, while 20 others looked on to see our response. It felt like feeding the first pigeon, and we felt we had to say 'no' for our own survival, regardless of how much we wanted to help.
My hope is that anyone that visits this forum gains knowledge that can keep them from that fate; sometimes we need a reminder that no matter how much we think we might struggle in life, it looks like it CAN get worse!!

Best to all on this forum; hope the community can help guide you to safe waters-
Off topic a bit but I wonder how many homeless that live on the streets are there by choice or circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement