Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times

Advertisements

There's another way to treat your body when you're younger that can have an adverse effect when you get older.

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, never dig drugs - never even tried the stuff some of my friends were using. Drink rarely.

I'm, 6'4" and played competitive sports at a fairly high level. I got hurt and would push myself to play. I have had 11 orthopedic procedures and/or surgeries and have 3 more to look forward to in the next 18 months. I'm in pain almost all of the time. I'm hoping these other surgeries take care of most of the pain because I avoid using meds for that.

I'm in my late 50's with another 3-4 years to go before I retire. I feel like we'll be set financially and socially, hoping my biggest concern won't be mobility.

As far as advice, I discouraged my kids from playing sports after high school or from playing more than one sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 03:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
If I could go back in time, I would never have allowed myself to be even a pound overweight. My goal would have been 10% underweight! I would never have smoked a cigarette. And I would NEVER have gone out in the sun. I'm sure I would look pretty damn fine right now if I had just done these things!

Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
I have found that in general, but not universal, those who went out of their way to keep their bodies healthier than others did, lived 6 - 15 years longer. Cancer was an exception in most cases (outside of quitting smoking), but cardiovascular - wise, quite reliable.

I say fake chest pains enough to get a stress test - preferably a cardiac cath by age 55. Stents if needed will add 20 years of life to most. Coronary artery disease can be very sneaky, and end your life very early. And cholesterol and blood pressure are not the only risk factors. You could die at 57 and have normal cholesterol and BP. We don't know all the answers. Get those coronaries cathed! You won't know until.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:43 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I haven't noticed any big changes from when I was 20 generally, but I think what does me in is a sedentary job. I get up at 7:15, am in by 8, and am basically seated until I leave at 5. I'll get up a little during the day and take a walk on the municipal trail behind the office if the weather is good, but that's tough in the winter.

Our boss invested in those desktop things that raise your work area up so you can stand instead of sitting all day. I only use it when my upper back starts to hurt from being hunched over my desk.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 PM

550 posts, read 498,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
. . . But I've stopped successfully before. I can do it again. Sigh. . .
No offense but no you haven't.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I do need to lose weight - I am 5'8 235 with a 40" waist. I'd like to get down to 34"-36" this year and under 200.
S.C.

I really hate to be blunt but your B.M.I is 35.7 which is clearly in the obesity range

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmicalc.htm

Quote:
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
I'm glad that you started this thread and seemed to be seeking advice from the elders. My advice to you is that you have to do everything that you can to bring your weight down to the healthy level of B.M.I of 18.5–24.9. To get down to normal weight, you need to loose a lot of weight since for your height of 5'8", your weight has to be below 164lbs!!

You should start RIGHT AWAY with monitoring your diet, eating healthy food, SMALLER portions and cut WAY BACK on your drinking. There are a lot of empty calories in beer.

You appear to be a very smart and well-informed young person. It's frustrating for observers like me to see that you recognize the unhealthy lifestyle/diet and poor health of your relatives but do not seem to have the will power to get out of bad habits and turn your life around. You don't need to ask for advice from strangers online. You KNOW what to do so just do it.

Besides not having a healthy diet, you also seem lacking in the activities and exercise department. Exercises alone do not help you to loose weight but will certainly make you stronger and healthier.

White collar workers today mostly have sedentary jobs. It is common for workers having to be at their desks glued to the monitors and tethered to the phones with their headsets. However, if you are motivated, you can still find ways to be active. You can put the monitor on a stand. You can pace around your cubicle while talking on the phone. For bathroom breaks, just walk to the farthest restrooms. Park the car at the farthest spot from the office door. Pack healthy food like veggies, fruits, boiled eggs, thin wholegrain sandwich with lots of proteins and eat your lunch while taking a walk or a hike. So, no more excuses about having a sedentary job, just get moving and keep moving. How about cutting back on your web posting and spend the time walking around the block or do few minutes exercise next to your desk? A quick web search will yield many articles, youtube videos of movements, yoga moves or exercises that you can do in your office.

When I was working, I also had a mostly desk job with many meetings, hours spending on the computer reading, typing, planning etc. However, I always managed to get minimum of 10K steps a day at work then add on another 5K or so after work when I went for a hike with the dog after work. I don't mean to brag but I am a rowing 'fool' so I used to get up at 4:30am to be on the river for an hour of rowing before work. I also went to the gym after work at least 3 times a week to swim and lift weight.

Since I love fruits and vegetables, I always have a healthy diet but I did not get serious about exercise until 15 years ago. I felt much stronger and healthier in my 50's and now 60's than in my younger days. I wish that I had taken up weight training earlier in life to build stronger bones and muscles. It is better late than never and the sooner you pay attention and do something about your health, the better your life quality for many years down the road.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:36 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
My advice is to watch diet carefully (occasional splurge is probably OK with unhealthy food) and limit bad fats, limit alcohol consumption, stop smoking and drug use. Watch weight and exercise. Check our BP, cholesterol, and blood sugar regularly. Your body will thank you later.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:41 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Many young adults start gaining weight after 30 or so for various reasons. My advice is to stop the weight gain immediately by exercise and eating fewer calories. It is very interesting to watch old movies from the 30's and 40's and see how slender people of ALL ages were.
Take note of health problems you may be genetically prone to develop, and take any relevant precautions.
Try to BE HAPPY!

Old 01-03-2017, 09:12 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
I was very thin as a child (left over from serious illness). We weren't well off, so mom put food on our plates. Always enough, but only 'too much' on holidays. We weren't particularly sporty, being five girls and one boy, but we were able to go outside and play.

I was in pretty good shape though my 30's. Then got a sedentary job and sedentary hobby. Uh-oh! I'm now somewhat overweight.

Advice I'd give young people: never take up smoking - it's a devil of an addiction to quit. And don't be sedentary. Even if you loath 'exercise', find something physical to do regularly. And keep the weight down - it's much easier to drop five pounds four times over than to drop twenty pounds once and keep it off!

Old 01-03-2017, 10:06 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Good for you! You're past the hardest part, in my experience. Exercising, snacking, and distracting yourself with ANYTHING helps. And contrary to others' advice, if you need candy/Coke to avoid smoking, I say go for it. The cravings if any, will pass, little by little.

I find staying busy helps. I spent most of today cleaning house, doing laundry, mopping floors AND cooking for the week. I don't need anything like candy or Coke to avoid smoking. I did eat an apple at noon. The "cravings" have been few. I credit the patch with that. They only last a couple of seconds when they do show up and then, gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement