Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:21 PM

212 posts, read 821,894 times

Advertisements

Leave in NE now 65 lost my job, now only want to work 2-3 days a week part time no weekends but cant find job. My Spouse only 61 still working to at least 66. Problem now alone during the day and don't know what to do with myself. Most friends moved away or past away. Go to gym movies, pool club in summer yearly vacation but that not enough.
Do Most retired people do volunteer work

Anybody retire but spouse still working for many more years. Please give me some suggestions activities especially if I cant find job any more. Anybody find senior citizen centers any good. Again going crazy with all free time. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Take a class. I'm in 3 classes. Keep me busy.On top of those classes, I play bridge at the senior center, new found hobby. Let's hope I don't get hooked.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:40 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
There have been other threads on this same topic - you might want to look for them. Volunteer work is one of many suggestions that can be made in response to your question. Whether "most" retired people do volunteer work I have no idea and I think it's irrelevant anyway. What matters is whether YOU might enjoy some sort of volunteer work. Why not look for something suitable? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you start something and find you really don't like it, you can quit.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:28 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Take up drinking.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Leave in NE now 65 lost my job, now only want to work 2-3 days a week part time no weekends but cant find job. My Spouse only 61 still working to at least 66. Problem now alone during the day and don't know what to do with myself. Most friends moved away or past away. Go to gym movies, pool club in summer yearly vacation but that not enough.
Do Most retired people do volunteer work

Anybody retire but spouse still working for many more years. Please give me some suggestions activities especially if I cant find job any more. Anybody find senior citizen centers any good. Again going crazy with all free time. Thanks
I am in that group. Retired with spouse still working. I am a bit younger but I had already thought on the possibility of my work ending. I started in a golf league. Probably a bad idea now that I need carpal tunnel surgery. However, now that golf season in MA is months away I am doing small chores around the house. The last few weeks I have reorganized my garage and basement. I am not done yet. I do a little every day.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:48 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Read the ENTIRE internet.

That ought to keep you busy for a few years.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Take up drinking.
Take up endless posting on C-D. Kind of like drinking but no hangover.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:47 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
How does someone retire and have nothing to do? What did you do all your working life, besides work. You must have had weekends off. Surely theres activities you did and enjoyed? Now you can even spend more time doing them.

Find things you like to do, and then do them.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:26 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Carnivalday makes sense. The issue with doing things in retirement does not start the day you retire. It is a matter of lifelong interests....or the absence of them. Also boredom in retirement has little to do with your spouse. Don't expect a spouse to entertain you or decide what you should do with your time.

It is time to re-examine your life. What is it you want to learn, to accomplish, to achieve. If you have done it all and there is nothing left, realize you are then just waiting to die. Certainly there is more in your life than that.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:29 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
How does someone retire and have nothing to do? What did you do all your working life, besides work. You must have had weekends off. Surely theres activities you did and enjoyed? Now you can even spend more time doing them.

Find things you like to do, and then do them.
Great question. I think the simple answer is that at the end of the work day we unplugged from the wall and go into hibernation until the following work day like "Roomba"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement