Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:30 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

I just glanced at a site that is showing what kitchens looked like the year you were born and did that ever bring back some old memories! We have really seen a lot of changes in how food is prepared, what tools are used to prepare it and even what kind of food is available (or no longer available) to us.

That doesn't even cover the other accoutrements of kitchens. Did anyone ever think in those days of matching their paint, curtains and towels? Did your family use rags to wash the dishes rather than buy dishcloths? How about hand-embroidered dishtowels to dry for when company came?

How was food stored? Did you do more cooking outside before air-conditioning? What about appliances and their maintenance?

I can think of dozens of questions. Does anyone want to share memories of the kitchen you grew up in? Or, better yet, Grandma's kitchen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 02:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I just glanced at a site that is showing...
it's at this point where you copy/paste the url

Old 02-10-2017, 02:31 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
I remember the kitchen in our first house better than my mother or grandmothers since I used it all the time and it was older than both of theirs.

We rented our first house, a 1900 bungalow and later bought it on land contact. The kitchen walls were painted that kitchen green color and came with a small kitchen table with folding leaves that got painted green too. I stripped it later to find it was a beautiful rock maple, I still have that table. The kitchen cabinets, on three walls, were custom made of solid wood and painted, but at least with white paint. The two upper corner cabinets had glass in the doors. One lower cabinet was three stacked bread drawers (metal lined with a sliding metal covers) and a built in cutting board I could pull out. I loved those cabinets.

Now for the appliances. I had a white enamel gas stove with burner covers that lifted up and slid back behind when not in use. The burners had a pilot light between them and with the cover down, it was the perfect temp to put a bowl of bread dough to raise or make yogurt. The oven was small but evenly heated. Loved that stove! That kitchen has been the only one where I ever successfully made salt-raising bread.

The refrigerator was a gas refrigerator, it had a pilot light. It was small and the freezer was even smaller and defrosting had to be done a lot. We saw another gas refrigerator with an ice maker listed at an estate sale in a nearby town and we went thinking we could upgrade and pick it up for a song. Who would want a gas refrigerator? The two opposing Amish women who bid it way up in minutes wanted it! It wasn't electric, so not against their religion. I never got used to the idea of a pilot light on something cold and never did get another fridge before we moved.

DH's company bought the house as part of our relocation package and there was no limit on what we could take and have packed. My one regret was not taking the old kitchen cabinets that had been put down in the basement: solid wood freestanding one piece connected upper and lower cabinets. They of course had been painted green, but the countertops were grooved wood that was untouched and natural. DH had used them as a work bench and storage for his tools. They were nicer than the cabinets in our next house that were particle board.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-10-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 03:21 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
it's at this point where you copy/paste the url

I really wasn't referring to the site other than to use the idea as a starting point. But if you're interested let me know.

jean_ji, behind one of my kitchen cupboards we still have "that" color green. Looks like the walls of an institution. Green is supposed to be one of the appetizing colors but not "that" shade of green.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I really wasn't referring to the site other than to use the idea as a starting point.
But if you're interested...
it's at this point where you absolutely copy/paste the url

Old 02-10-2017, 03:42 PM

777 posts, read 1,873,199 times
Probably this - What The American Home Kitchen Looked Like the Year You Were Born - How the Kitchen Has Changed Over 100 Years - Vintage Kitchens - Delish.com but it's a clickbaity scroll-through gallery.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:22 PM

I recall something similar to this idea related to model of car your parents had when you were conceived.
Attached Thumbnails
Memories of Kitchens of Yesteryear-54_studebaker-commander-regal_dv-11-gg_01.jpg  

Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Boomerang formica

(it's back).

Old 02-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Omg! My Mom's kitchen had that!

Old 02-10-2017, 05:12 PM

^^^
Attachment 180737

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement