Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 18,015 times

Advertisements

Hi, as soon as my DS graduates from high school, I will be looking to move out of Illinois due to weather (first and foremost!) Traffic and ridiculous cost of living. I am hoping to continue to work from home for the same company so commute time isn't hugely relevant. I like Atlanta and it's northern suburbs but my price range, under $200k, keeps me out of walkable areas. I live in a suburb of Chicago right now and have to get in my car for Everything! So done with that! I want to be within walking distance of groceries, restaurants, a bookstore, coffee shops. College towns seem to be best but difficult to identify houses in walkable areas that aren't overrun with students or in unsafe areas and still in my price range. I have a long "short list" right now (ATL, Roswell, Athens, Greenville SC, Oxford MS, chattanooga-really love the looks of Chatt but worried about the crime). Would love everyone's thoughts on the above as well as any other suggestions. I'm open to renting but would prefer to buy a townhouse or small house, 1000-1300sf. Most important thing is a vibrant safe downtown (can be quite small) that I can walk to. Decent medical care and continuing education also important. Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 07:34 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Greenville has a wonderful downtown, even has a Publix right downtown. I don't know its residential neighborhoods but Roanoke has a safe feeling vibrant downtown. You could find a house in your budget immediately across the river from downtown Knoxville. Groceries are accessible by bus. Is Cookeville, TN too small? It has a great hospital.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I second Greenville, SC but I also like Greeneville, TN.

Chatt is a bit too big, look into Cleveland, TN.

Rome (college town), or Cedartown, GA are close to Chatt, but very nice. So is Ringgold, GA (Very Close to Chatt, but very small) Rocky Face, GA is another option in striking distance to Chatt.

For the region, I like Jonesborough, Gray, and Kingsport, TN.
Nearby college town is Johnson City (which I don't find as nice, but it has some decent areas. )

NETN has better weather / less chance of tornadoes / mtns (cooler)

Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
There is another way to think about the issue of walkability, and that is on a micro level. If your own particular neighborhood is walkable (has sidewalks, a supermarket and other places near near, etc.), then is doesn't much matter if the entire city or town is considered walkable.

For example, the greater Los Angeles area doesn't exactly spring to mind in association with the word "walkable". Yet there are many residential neighborhoods which exist in close proximity to commercial areas. Sixteen years ago I bought a town house without the conscious thought of walkability, but as it turned out I have the following within a one mile radius of my place, and much of it within a half-mile radius:

Several banks
A post office
A public library
A supermarket
Several barber shops
At least a dozen restaurants
A car dealership for the make of car I own
An Automobile Club office
A multi-plex cinema
A florist
Two opticians
At least one dental office
Two of the large chain type pharmacies
There is other stuff I don't use, such as jewlery stores.

Yet my own street is tree-lined and pleasant. The five main things which lie outside the one-mile radius, and which I actually use, are auto parts stores, Home Depot, Office Depot, a large bookstore, and places to get men's clothing. Even those are within five miles.

My point is if you choose a place with a reasonably good reputation for walkability you ought to be able to find more than one individual neighborhood along the lines of my own in the greater Los Angeles area.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:17 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5yrplan View Post
Hi, as soon as my DS graduates from high school, I will be looking to move out of Illinois due to weather (first and foremost!) Traffic and ridiculous cost of living. I am hoping to continue to work from home for the same company so commute time isn't hugely relevant. I like Atlanta and it's northern suburbs but my price range, under $200k, keeps me out of walkable areas. I live in a suburb of Chicago right now and have to get in my car for Everything! So done with that! I want to be within walking distance of groceries, restaurants, a bookstore, coffee shops. College towns seem to be best but difficult to identify houses in walkable areas that aren't overrun with students or in unsafe areas and still in my price range. I have a long "short list" right now (ATL, Roswell, Athens, Greenville SC, Oxford MS, chattanooga-really love the looks of Chatt but worried about the crime). Would love everyone's thoughts on the above as well as any other suggestions. I'm open to renting but would prefer to buy a townhouse or small house, 1000-1300sf. Most important thing is a vibrant safe downtown (can be quite small) that I can walk to. Decent medical care and continuing education also important. Thanks in advance for your input!

You might want to look at some of the smaller towns south of Nashville. It has been a while since I have checked on the prices in that area.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:12 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Greenville has a wonderful downtown, even has a Publix right downtown. I don't know its residential neighborhoods but Roanoke has a safe feeling vibrant downtown. You could find a house in your budget immediately across the river from downtown Knoxville. Groceries are accessible by bus. Is Cookeville, TN too small? It has a great hospital.
I did not find Cookeville, TN walkable. The hospital took the walkable neighborhood where I was planning to live and the traffic and lack of sidewalks made walking, even to things that are close, unpleasant or impossible.

One of my children likes downtown Chattanooga since a revitalization project took place in the last few years. I think I would like a downtown loft/apt as long as it had an elevator.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:39 AM

Someone else mentioned Cookeville as well and I'm intrigued. I'm not able to find much for sale in the area. I don't think it is too small at all. Thank you!

Old 03-04-2017, 01:41 AM

So many great options I hadn't considered! Can't wait to look into these! Thanks!

Old 03-04-2017, 01:46 AM

You just described my perfect neighborhood! �� My problem has been researching places like that without actually going there. I don't find the map apps I've tried super helpful. Redfin is the only real estate app I've found that even rates walkability. You are right on, for sure, just a matter of finding that right neighborhood.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:36 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Clemson SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement