Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:50 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Am I the only one who wonders why none of the posters (with the exception of Michigan Transplant) with these stories uses their gift of speech to SAY SOMETHING. I would have said "I'm not your Grandma and that was really disrespectful." Or, "Hey I'm standing here, don't lean against me, please stop touching me". I am outspoken, but not in the extreme that I'm going to interfere with others' enjoyment, but I have my rights and I will not be bullied verbally or through physical intimidation.
I mentioned the behavior to the waitress and manager. The manager stepped close to the female and said something to her, and after a bit she continued her nasty behavior.

BUT they were drinking quite a bit, husband I were having a diet coke, so who would you prefer to stay?

I was glad when the show was over, needless to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I turned to get my glass of diet coke and the female said "hey Grandma, what are you looking at" and several other times, the waiter came by and she said - "Grandma isn't drink she doesn't want anything"....

Sort of put a damper on the evening.
If you've reached 60 years of age and can't put a snotty little punk in her place, you need to up your game. I would have loudly asked the water if he checked her ID, because she was acting like she was six.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Ok - maybe you were looking at her with a disapproving eye and she snapped?

You were already not happy with the seating situation and it showed?

Sure it wasn't nice of her to say that but if you gave her a weird look, maybe tit for tat?
I was VERY happy with the table - actually her gentleman friend was quite friendly while she was away at the bathroom right when we first sat down.

No weird looks as we were facing the stage with our backs to them.

I'm one to mind my business and not get into a confrontation. I guess she was just another "drunk girl". I sort of felt sorry for her man friend, he was really sweet and he had to put up with her behavior. He was probably mortified.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Ok - maybe you were looking at her with a disapproving eye and she snapped?

You were already not happy with the seating situation and it showed?

Sure it wasn't nice of her to say that but if you gave her a weird look, maybe tit for tat?
In her original post, the OP said she and her husband were trying to be pleasant to the person. That doesn't sound as if she gave her a weird look. Maybe the rude girl just wanted to be snotty because she didn't want to be seated with older people.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:00 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:
HEB bakery area?
I'm impressed. Not only did you know the store, you knew exactly what department this happened! I know from your posts you live in Texas, and where you moved from.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:13 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post

If someone doesn't like me being in the same place as them, then they can leave. Just don't give in to other ppl. Give them the stink-eye, ignore them, or say something. Maybe even engage them into conversation (or whatever) even before they say something. Life to too short to be afraid of what others think or say. At this age, or any age, you deserve to go out and have fun.
I agree in theory, but the reality is that it can be hard to still have a good time when someone in the vicinity is being rude. As much as I try to learn to focus on what's important and be nonreactive when I practice yoga or meditate, it can be difficult to transfer this off the yoga mat. It's bad enough when someone is being distracting or obnoxious and it's not aimed at you. When it is definitely aimed at you, how can it not take away from your enjoyment? And yeah, definitely they could/should leave if they didn't want to sit at the table with an older person, but perhaps they couldn't (assigned seats or they liked where they were, so they didn't move).

Years ago I went to a Meetup group where they went bowling. I don't like bowling, but was trying to be open and social. The name of the group was 35 Up, meaning it was for anyone 35 and older. Someone in the next lane who was in her fifties was being ignored and ostracized by younger people in her lane. We noticed this, so asked her to join us and she was grateful. This sort of thing does happen.

There is another local MU group that is compromised mostly of people in their 50s to 70s. The activities they enjoy are not my sort of thing (happy hours, concerts, and dances), but they take over venues in large numbers (like 50 to 200 people), so they greatly outnumber younger people, who either have to put up with it or not go to that venue. There seems to be safety in numbers.

I'm fortunate in that I like a lot of quiet/solitary/non-mainstream activities like attending Metropolitan Opera broadcasts at a movie theater where the audience is better behaved (but not perfect) than at regular movies. I'll attend classical music concerts and some jazz, but confine my rock listening to at home (suits my eardrums better). I can see where it could be difficult to attend country or rock concerts or clubs where younger people are there, especially if it means sharing a table with strangers. I have a friend who works at the local arena. She said there is a really big difference between the attendees for Christian rock concerts and opera singer Andrea Bocelli versus rock/heavy metal/country. So it does seem like a certain amount of less than desirable behavior (less desirable at least for those of us who are mature/sane/civilized/considerate) must be expected. She's even had people vomit on her shoes---yuck!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:05 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I'm impressed. Not only did you know the store, you knew exactly what department this happened! I know from your posts you live in Texas, and where you moved from.
My favorite part of the store!

Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I was at the grocery store in Texas that employs every 5th person (or so it seems, it is so large) and there were coupons posted for a product I wanted that didn't belong to the product, they belonged to the product that was over 2 tables. It was very misleading. I pointed it out to the little chickie who thought her job was to just look cute. As she was walking away after not doing a thing to correct the situation, I said the coupons needed to be moved to the right product and she rolled her eyes as she prepared to walk her cute little self over to the coupons. I said, politely but firmly, "don't roll your eyes at me, you should have thought of this yourself." I'm sure she was thinking something along the lines that I was an old b(at)......
Unsolicited negative criticism coming from strangers is seldom well received.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:40 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
I can relate. I was at a "Chicago" concert (now that's OUR demographic!) and the 20-somethings next to me looked at their brightly-lit phone the whole time. Just sneered at me when I politely said something. Ushers did nothing. Why do people like this even GO to a concert (or movie) when all they want to do is stare at their phone?? Meanwhile, we've paid over $100 a ticket to be distracted by this....

I've pretty much lost the desire to attend these kind of events anymore, sadly.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:55 AM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I turned to get my glass of diet coke and the female said "hey Grandma, what are you looking at" and several other times, the waiter came by and she said - "Grandma isn't drink she doesn't want anything"....

Sort of put a damper on the evening.

I'm 68..I would have told her to go f**k herself..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement