Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

I frequent Wall Drug, Mitchell Corn Palace, Pioneer Village (Discount with camping or motel), and of course... Ollie's Big Game Bar (Paxton, NE) As I did with my parents 50+ yrs ago.

...Retirees Contemplating a Move to Rural Areas to Consider Feels a lot like home to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It's Wall Drug in Wall, South Dakota. I was nine years old the first time that I was there; that was in 1954. They carried every View-Master reel. No big city store had that. They had everything and still do.

Who else has been there?

South Dakota Road Trip Stop
We went to Wall Drug on a family trip, also in the 50's. Also a place called, I think, the Corn Palace, maybe in Nebraska.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
I've heard of the Corn Palace, but I've never been there.

Mitchell Corn Palace, SD | Official Website

Old 04-18-2017, 11:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
You want to visit the Corn Palace during a Polka Weekend! (worth the trip).

My dad played there with his dance band in the 1930's, so it was one of our many stops on our 2500 mile route to bury him. (He didn't go in on that trip, he just stayed quietly 'resting' in the car.) But I know he appreciated all the special places we went on the way to the cemetery. He didn't get an Ice Cream or donuts at Wall Drug, or Little America (some other 'favorite stops')

These are nice things to visit when you are out in this area ..Retirees Contemplating a Move to Rural Areas
7 Ways to be Awed on the Enchanted Highway | Official North Dakota Travel & Tourism Guide
Carhenge ® | of Alliance, Nebraska

and on a hot day... visit here! (Between the two stops above)
https://www.nps.gov/wica/index.htm

There is a lot of interesting rural USA to still enjoy. I like reading about investors who buy and refurbish the downtown buildings of Rural USA. I have a 'sandstone' town in KS that I am interested in buying as a 'fixer-upper' for retirees! (Has been abandoned for 70 yrs, but the stone facade still stands on both sides of the street, and it has one of those classy banks with a 45 degree front door and NICE arches in windows and doorway. EVERYTHING needs a new roof and rear siding, but the implement dealer still has some 'inventory' / equipment sitting among the tumbleweeds. (and under the collapsed roof)

Healthcare?... Better BYO... But the prairie life is not bad and you REALLY learn to appreciate the little things (like not getting hailed out or eaten by grasshoppers every yr!) Avoiding Tornadoes is a plus! I remember how intently my kids watched the sky their first trip to KS.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
Quote:
There's more than a little to see in Nebraska. Pioneer Village at Minden is a good example.

Attractions

Nebraska is dotted with artifacts and memories of our forefathers. Here's a wonderful trip. I-80 isn't the only road across Nebraska.

Road Trip: Nebraska's Pioneer Trail -- National Geographic

Good German restaurants aren't easy to find, but Omaha has a great one. If you're coming from the east, it's right on the way. From the west, it's worth the extra drive.

* - Home

There's so much to see and do in the Heartland.
There is a small Germans from Russia museum in Lincoln I took my mother to. Lawrence Welk's (also a German from Russia) home in North Dakota. The Sandhill Crane migration in Nebraska as well as the Sand Hill region, the largest planted "forest" is in Nebraska. I liked Nebraska. There is definenately a specific feeling that comes with so few people. Its a very....expansive...feeling.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
There is a small Germans from Russia museum in Lincoln I took my mother to. Lawrence Welk's (also a German from Russia) home in North Dakota. The Sandhill Crane migration in Nebraska as well as the Sand Hill region, the largest planted "forest" is in Nebraska. I liked Nebraska. There is definenately a specific feeling that comes with so few people. Its a very....expansive...feeling.
The museum sounds interesting. So few people are even aware of the Germans in Russia, let alone familiar with the situation.

Kansas is fascinating as well. Everyone knows that it's loaded with history, but there's extraordinary scenery as well.

So many people brag about their trips to foreign countries, but they know almost nothing about what's just a few hours away.

Kansas Geology and Archeology Tour

http://www.kansastravel.org/hutchins...saltmuseum.htm

Old 04-20-2017, 04:09 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,916,017 times
Quote:
The museum sounds interesting. So few people are even aware of the Germans in Russia, let alone familiar with the situation.

Kansas is fascinating as well. Everyone knows that it's loaded with history, but there's extraordinary scenery as well.

So many people brag about their trips to foreign countries, but they know almost nothing about what's just a few hours away.

Kansas Geology and Archeology Tour

Strataca Underground Salt Museum - Hutchinson, Kansas
My favorite Kansas attraction is the Eisenhower National Museum, Library, birthplace, and gravesite in Abilene, Kansas. I will never forget the day I spent there.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Back to the subject of this thread, my 72 y/o brother who never doctors and lives in a rural area, went for a long-delayed checkup 8 months ago and was given bp medication. Now, he has developed atrial fibrillation.

First of March, went to a cardiologist in his area who recommended electro conversion - but, since he never doctors and has no faith in them - refused and went home with a heart med, which he stopped taking b/c it made him feel "bad," an anticoagulant, and a diuretic.

Well, six weeks later he feels terrible, can't climb steps, legs and abdomen swelling - all signs of heart failure. So, after much nagging by my RN sister and me, he and wife went into their local clinic which tells him they may do the electro conversion in a couple of weeks when his blood is thinner and meanwhile he'll have to 'tolerate the discomfort.' RN sister thinks this is bad advice.

Now he says he wishes he had better medical options in his "zipcode."

Heh - one hour away, where my sister and I live, we have stellar facilities. She's had heart issues and lives only 15 minutes away from one of the best heart hospitals in the state.

He's been bugging us to consider moving up there - which I would never do for the lack of convenience - and which she shouldn't do b/c she needs to be near excellent medical help. I don't doctor much, but I know five minutes away from my house is one of the top hospitals in the state (Medical College/Froedtert) which brought my son back from the near-dead a few years ago.

OP has a good point, imo.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-20-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Back to the subject of this thread, my 72 y/o brother who never doctors and lives in a rural area, went for a long-delayed checkup 8 months ago and was given bp medication. Now, he has developed atrial fibrillation.

First of March, went to a cardiologist in his area who recommended electro conversion - but, since he never doctors and has no faith in them - refused and went home with a heart med, which he stopped taking b/c it made him feel "bad," an anticoagulant, and a diuretic.

Well, six weeks later he feels terrible, can't climb steps, legs and abdomen swelling - all signs of heart failure. So, after much nagging by my RN sister and me, he and wife went into their local clinic which tells him they may do the electro conversion in a couple of weeks when his blood is thinner and meanwhile he'll have to 'tolerate the discomfort.' RN sister thinks this is bad advice.

Now he says he wishes he had better medical options in his "zipcode."

Heh - one hour away, where my sister and I live, we have stellar facilities. She's had heart issues and lives only 15 minutes away from one of the best heart hospitals in the state.

He's been bugging us to consider moving up there - which I would never do for the lack of convenience - and which she shouldn't do b/c she needs to be near excellent medical help. I don't doctor much, but I know five minutes away from my house is one of the top hospitals in the state (Medical College/Froedtert) which brought my son back from the near-dead a few years ago.

OP has a good point, imo.
Cardioversion is a VERY common procedure. You don't need a major medical college/university hospital to get that done.

His problem is he didn't listen the first time it was offered.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Cardioversion is a VERY common procedure. You don't need a major medical college/university hospital to get that done.

His problem is he didn't listen the first time it was offered.
Indeed. I've told him he's been overthinking this from day one and should have just done what he was told six weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement