Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,085,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Home Depot hires a lot of seniors as part timers and then works the cr*p out of them. At least our local store does. My 70+ year old friend wanted to work 20 hours or so per week, and after a year there she was working 35 -39 hours. She stayed as long as she could take the hours on her feet. Then when she wanted to take a 3 week dream vacation they mutually decided to terminate her employment.
That story is why I do not plan on any part time job for any reason. These employers think they own you because you are showing up for work. I can see the same thing happen.

I will say though about 3 years ago I was thinking I would go to Lowes or Home Depot for a job. I thought I might need the income. I was only going to work up to 16k annual but what happened is I have been taking that income directly from TSP and still not tapping into principle. I plan on increasing that income next year. We are planning more trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 04:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
You also have to remember the random health prize. Yes, you have plans to conquer the world. And you find something you love to do. But the problems start slow, and then add up and you find your health can't be shut in the closet anymore. And while its mostly okay with treatment, you just don't have the energy anymore. And you feel like your being pushed into a bad place, and comes the time you have been. Some problems can be 'managed' up to a point, but not much longer. When that comes, the game changes in every way. The first and hardest part is accepting that while you are not 'useless', there are limits you didn't have.

So life changed, and you start thinking more about the health you have than how to keep it quiet. I think a lot of people with 'problems' finally face the moment. You have other aspirations too, but if you go on disability, you won't have the money. And in order to do a good job, you need a lot more energy to do your best.

Or maybe your medical costs to maintain are going to be high. Its that fork in the road you have to decide if you'll follow the same not really working dream, or compromise.

And if your really really honest to yourself, you don't have enough to get where your dreams take you.

But that other pathway isn't barren and desolute. It can even be wonderfuly rewarding. Maybe your budget will always be slim, but you learn what really has value. Maybe you aren't running with the crowd, but when they're done, your still there where they landed. Value in life isn't things but peace. Sometimes if your in the race you don't see that.

So plan, and educated yourself, and do what you can to make tomorrow better. But know that one day will come when its your turn to step off the moving road. And for some, its very early, especially with health concerns. I dreamed of being a programmer. I worked at it for a couple of years. I lost the job not because I wasn't good, but they were not making enough and everyone under a line went. And by the time things recovered, there were new systems and they wanted people with experience, the same people who mostly learned working with real systems.

And I realized I had no life except my job then. Now I had friends, and got together with them on the weekend. Many were looking with the same problem, but we'd learned that your life isn't just your job.

That time was really my golden one. Health hasn't been great on and off, and I am very sensitive to this, so I manage. And I've gotten used to managing. And i look at those old aspirations, and wish I'd known then that learning things which fascinate you doesn't have to have an end greater than the learning itself, since when we learn we grow. I won't be a history teacher, my first wish, but I've educated myself far past school and learned a whole lot more than I might have if it had survival connected to it.

No matter how much we'd like it to leave, change will find us and we have to deal with its powers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement