Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:43 PM

262 posts, read 307,839 times

Advertisements

I might as well Super Glue the iPad to my hand. I would choose internet access over the tv if I was forced to choose. I have been trying hard to turn the iPad off during a show I recorded to watch otherwise I lose track of the story totally. I sleep better if I manage to go offline an hour before bed, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Many people get the image of seniors using computers as old fuddy-duddies who can barely peck around. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it isn't.

That really depends on what occupation the person had. Most office workers under 70 now probably had at least some exposure to Windows 95, at the earliest, in their work setting. The internet was available, perhaps required, even at many non-tech employers, by the late 1990s-early 2000s.

I don't know many office workers younger than 60 who do not have at least have basic knowledge about how to navigate Windows and other simple stuff. For blue collar workers who rarely had interaction with computers as younger people, many do seem snowed by modern technology. However, I think it's fairly rare to find someone 80 or older who is technically proficient. Many of these folks would have already been retired before computers as we know them became very mainstream and inexpensive.

I'm also surprised at the number of young people (<25) who really have no concept of computing or computer usage outside of phones and tablets. To me, there is a large divide between someone like me (~30) who grew up with Windows 95 and Windows XP (user friendly enough to not need to be an engineer but not drop dead casual like iOS) and someone who is ~20 who has had an iPhone in their hand since grade school.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many people get the image of seniors using computers as old fuddy-duddies who can barely peck around. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it isn't.

That really depends on what occupation the person had. Most office workers under 70 now probably had at least some exposure to Windows 95, at the earliest, in their work setting. The internet was available, perhaps required, even at many non-tech employers, by the late 1990s-early 2000s.

I don't know many office workers younger than 60 who do not have at least have basic knowledge about how to navigate Windows and other simple stuff. For blue collar workers who rarely had interaction with computers as younger people, many do seem snowed by modern technology. However, I think it's fairly rare to find someone 80 or older who is technically proficient. Many of these folks would have already been retired before computers as we know them became very mainstream and inexpensive.

I'm also surprised at the number of young people (<25) who really have no concept of computing or computer usage outside of phones and tablets. To me, there is a large divide between someone like me (~30) who grew up with Windows 95 and Windows XP (user friendly enough to not need to be an engineer but not drop dead casual like iOS) and someone who is ~20 who has had an iPhone in their hand since grade school.
Let me help you adjust your timeline (caveat, I write this as a 3rd generation techie, who's only had gigs at tech firms, mostly on the West Coast).

Mid into Late 70s - mainframes, Fortran, Cobol, dumb terminals ... plus a few minis (DEC, DG, etc)
Early 80s - behold the PCs and pre-Mac Apple machines. Also, Unix workstations, etc. All of the above systems also still in place in many firms.
1984 - The Mac!!! - introduced during the Super Bowl via now (in)famous commercial.
1984+ - Enter luggables, absolute explosion of everything else
Late 80s - Enter laptops, continuing explosion ...
Early 90s - mainframes enter into a steep decline.
Etc ...

My parents were born in the mid 1930s. Mom is in her early 80s, dad would have been, if still alive. Dad invented microelectronic devices, got many patents, built PCs at home ...

Mom was on the software side for 30+ years.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:49 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I do the same stuff Desert Brat does and also I play Candy Crush every night. I am currently stuck at Level 70 so if anyone can help me, I would love the advice !!!
Google Candy Crush cheats. Also, You tube has videos on specific levels.
"Cheat To Win"

Old 06-20-2017, 05:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I use the computer for online banking, receiving bills, email, record keeping, reading the news that I want, research, ordering online, C-D, reduces my paper storage considerably, scanned all my photos into computer and transcribing for the military museum. Have recently added Netflix.
Me too as well. The laptop gets replace every couple of years when it dies, so I got a much better one, still used this time and love it. I also write stories and post them. (Star Trek mostly, thought its in an alt universe). But I turn it on when I get up and its close enough I can watch tv AND use the computer.

As I have no car, online shopping is a great blessing. And as our town has a little Walmart, I have all the stores around to do my price comparisons.

I don't see why some thing that laptop is a bad influence. Its not bad that when you just might not feel like going out and rushing a lot, you still aren't stuck away from the world.

My best friends all came from online meetings.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:24 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Before I retired I was happily forced into using a computer. For over 20 years. I'll admit to using my work computer for personal entertainment, but it wasn't my fault I got all of my projects done and had a lot of down time. Helping coworkers was not encouraged. Ok says I. Bored

These days it's the iPad for news and God stuff in the morning. CD for laughs and offering opinions. iPhone as my pocket computer that happens to double as as my phone and a fixed lens camera. In the evening, we'll watch streaming stuff on the TV (we are cord cutters).

Might watch something on Netflix in bed or just listen to music on pandora on my phone. Read one of three translations of the Bible on my phone.

With that said I spend as much time as I can doing stuff in the real world. My computers (desktop, iPad, iPhone) take the place of the morning paper, Bible, some magazines and evening TV. It's real hot outside right now so here I am reading Pocket articles and posting here

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-20-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 05:31 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Sitting here in front of the TV (my husband watches it all the time) and I have my
iPad in my lap so I can lookup things and watch TV too.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:37 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Does taking classes online count? The Mathematics of Financial Engineering .

Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 PM

547 posts, read 506,942 times
I got pretty good at looking up them nekked women.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:30 PM

1,022 posts, read 740,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The computer is the only way available, that I know of, to watch All Black rugby matches. All I need to do is bring up the match, hook the television HDMI cable to the computer, and watch the match. Life doesn't get much better than that!

You may have your reasons to still use an HDMI cable, but we really enjoy using Chromecast to get rid of the cable hook-up. (from laptop to TV) I think there is also ROKU. Both allow wireless connection without being restricted to the length of the cable. Also watch youtube on the tv screen using the cell phone.

You may already be aware of this, but just passing info. that works well for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement