Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM

888 posts, read 890,626 times

Advertisements

Word processing machine. Was a word processing operator on an IBM unit while in the Army in the early 1970's and was fascinated by the technology. When I got out, I worked for Xerox while going to college and learned about a fax machine. Again, it was amazing to me at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 01:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,415,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, Macs had networking built in from the beginning. It took forever for Microsoft to come up with a TCP/IP stack for the PC. We had to use 3rd party software to get on the internet. The first Mosaic browser I ever saw was on a NeXt cube, but versions for the Mac and the Sun workstation followed right behind. That was about the time the smart guys at Xerox PARC were experimenting with real time 3-D rendering. It's old hat now, but back then being able to enter a room, look around and actually move furniture in a browser was a real eye-opener.

The NeXt also blew my mind. What kind of computer didn't have a floppy disk? After Apple forced Steve Jobs out, he moved to Roseburg, not far from where I live now, and developed an OS based on UNIX (NeXt Step). When Apple crashed and invited him back to take over, he turned it into OSX. I was in my mid-40s then, so was long past my first jobs. Which reminds me, before he got famous, Steve Jobs pronounced his last name like the biblical Job, instead of "getta job." I guess he just gave up on the pronunciation thing.

Ah, walks down memory lane, even if it was just 25 years ago. On Usenet I used to be able to ask a question and get answers from two Nobel laureates. I swapped emails with Douglas Adams when he was researching _Last Chance To See_. Then came public internet and AOHeLL, and it all went away.
At that Mac shop a few of the CAD people had Suns. I'd borrow one of them to run Markov Models - our app ran on Unix.

Next place I went to after that ... everyone had at least a SPARC 2. Now talk about desktop heaven. That must have been about the same time you were getting into the NeXt gear or slightly before. Just a few months after I started there we Beta'd Mosaic. The benes of being one of their partners. I was already a total web addict before Clinton was elected.

Interesting story there about Steve Jobs.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,415,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I posted earlier re a Xerox copier being my 1st high-tech encounter but since so many here are discussing computers: in 1971, working for the Bell system, I supervised a group that operated a computer that was about 14 ft long by 2.5 ft wide and had exactly 1K of core memory.

Logic gates were mechanical relays that could be selectively disabled or re-routed by inserting wooden toothpicks, a useful trick for troubleshooting. Circuit packs were very 2001: Space Odyssey, i.e, they were large, rectangular, and required screwdrivers to install/uninstall; pulling one out was exactly like the movie. Programming instructions were relayed via series of 4-digit codes which were input via punch cards for normal operations or manually via a keypad for overrides.

I loved that monstrosity so much. It gave me a solid foundation for understanding logic circuitry, that served me well for decades to come. I had a great boss who while we were inserting toothpicks and keying in override codes would tell me "eventually all this will come down to how tiny you can make this operation [i.e., onto a circuit board"]. At the time - ca 1971 - I found that concept enormously intriguing and would ask him to explain further how that might work. He exactly explained it to me, in a manner that enabled me to understand; and that understanding enhanced my career to flourish for years to come.

Exciting times, I'm glad I was there. That experience led to advances in my career I could not have imagined, and eventually to a nice pension.
Interesting time frame, the early 70s. My dad was a semiconductor guy. Even at that early date, bipolar and ECL based ICs were already being released. MOS and CMOS were on their way. In fact, coming up with ways to produce CMOS devices was my Dad's meal ticket. It opened many doors. From the early 70s to 1980 it went from off-the-shelf rudimentary logic devices to ASICs. What a trip. Then a mere few years after that - mid to late 80s - I was sourcing foundries and ASIC design houses as part of my job.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:17 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,489,512 times
We were using slide rules in school so I suppose calculators were the high tech thing when I started working. I wanted to say ball point pens but I was in grade school when I started seeing them.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:47 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Push button phones were a huge time saver over the old Rotary.

Side note... My mother at 82 still writes in short hand. It's like another language.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 897,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
The following inventions came to be in the year I held my very first job:
  • The first microprocessor (Intel 4004)
  • The first pocket calculator (Texas Inst.)
  • The floppy disk (IBM)

How about you?
I came into the military (Air Force) at the end of the 60's. Although we had some nifty toys -see (Valkyrie), office technology consisted of typewriters for the clerks. All of the reproduction needs were sent to admin, who had big machines to do this, and all slides (such as they were) were made by graphics using plastic sheets with cardboard frames. They were projected on pull down screens with projectors having light bulbs with short duration.

I remember the IBM selectrics, and the first PCs - everyone had different operating systems and different word processing systems - wordstar, peachtext, word, etc. I remember the Arpanet, the precursor to the internet,

I remember big, cold, light computer rooms filled with large machines with big reels and numerous lights. I remember punch cards for data input to these systems, and getting outputs on wide green and white paper to scrub for errors.

Gosh, I am old!

Old 07-19-2017, 11:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
MS-Dos. Got pretty good using it until Windows came out in the mid 80s. Was able to program my work computer to be menu-driven. I thought I was so tech savvy, lol.
I miss doc commands. It had been awhile when I was looking up old usenet posts, and I had to actually look up the dos commands. For most of what I do, it would be much simplier and straight forward than windows.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I came into the military (Air Force) at the end of the 60's. Although we had some nifty toys -see (Valkyrie), office technology consisted of typewriters for the clerks. All of the reproduction needs were sent to admin, who had big machines to do this, and all slides (such as they were) were made by graphics using plastic sheets with cardboard frames. They were projected on pull down screens with projectors having light bulbs with short duration.

I remember the IBM selectrics, and the first PCs - everyone had different operating systems and different word processing systems - wordstar, peachtext, word, etc. I remember the Arpanet, the precursor to the internet,

I remember big, cold, light computer rooms filled with large machines with big reels and numerous lights. I remember punch cards for data input to these systems, and getting outputs on wide green and white paper to scrub for errors.

Gosh, I am old!
I thought the selectric was awesome. Well, except that it even recorded those moments when your finger barely scraped the side of a key. I actually learned on a twenty or so years old manual typewriter that worked beautifully, but you held your hands so differently on a flat keyboard. But its power supply never bit the dust.

I also remember sitting there in the computer lab punching cards for our homework in my first programming class, then finding the machine's 'punch' was off and it couldn't be read. But someone took the do not use taped on the keyboard off. Oh the days...

Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 PM

775 posts, read 777,092 times
Electric typewriters and 8 tracks.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,699,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I miss doc commands. It had been awhile when I was looking up old usenet posts, and I had to actually look up the dos commands. For most of what I do, it would be much simplier and straight forward than windows.
Windows has a command line interface. Just hit windows R and enter cmd to get the prompt. You can also download a complete set of Unix utilities and a shell interface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement