Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:39 PM

486 posts, read 654,411 times

Advertisements

On Top of the World in Ocala has three dog parks, each with separate play areas for big dogs and little dogs. However, the HOA fees are astronomical IMHO. I couldn't find any restrictions on dog size limits or fencing for the homes themselves.

I have two rental houses in Pine Run in Ocala. Fences are allowed, but not over 4 feet high and have to be chain link. The amenity fee for Pine Run is about $100 a month and includes basic cable, garbage pickup, and use of the recreational facilities. There is supposed to be a 25-lb weight limit on dogs, but I've seen way bigger dogs and nobody seems to be complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 04:16 PM

296 posts, read 232,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This was brought up a few years back, but now that so many more 55+ communities have been planned and built, I was wondering whether there are any that particularly appeal to responsible dog owners. About me, I live on an acreage now with a couple of house dogs and am old enough to want to transition to a more interactive community that caters to the older set. But my dogs are fun-loving and like, above all else, to run full speed for a few minutes each day. I have tried looking online for communities with fenceable 'yards' that also have a dog park within or nearby for that daily exercise period. But it is so hard to get decent data. Recently I drove out of town to a nascent 55+ community that advertised a dog park within, but seriously, it was probably only 800 or so sq ft., just enough for two chihuahuas to have a play date.

I could never move somewhere where I would need to leash my dogs every minute that they are out. Getting older means I can't jog with them either, and even long walks would not allow them to blow off energy by running free, and for me to delight in seeing their exuberance. So do any of you citydata folk live in an active senior community where you still have dogs and can allow them a chance to be happy like this? I would be particularly interested in those areas with milder weather (not too hot for too long).
If you don't want to use a leash like the rest of us do, it's best you stay on your acreage.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:14 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
We have a dog park in our town where dogs can run free. Other than that they must be on a leash, including in our 55+ community.

Last edited by Harpaint; 09-01-2017 at 12:29 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
[/b][/b]

Really? They don't live forever you know. And what about Medical, for you. Activities for you? What about taxes, insurance (like flood insurance), terrain, cost of living, accessibility to transportation like airports, churches, etc etc. So many other issues to research besides dog friendliness, I think. Dog parks are everywhere these days. JMHO
Not for us. I don't take my dogs to dog parks-there are too many factors I can't control. And by location, I'm including these other factors, which is why we want NC or SC. Not sure why people are questioning what my priorities should be in a 55+ community

Old 09-01-2017, 12:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Not for us. I don't take my dogs to dog parks-there are too many factors I can't control. And by location, I'm including these other factors, which is why we want NC or SC. Not sure why people are questioning what my priorities should be in a 55+ community
They're cared to death about aging and dying. They want you to be the same.

I don't take my dogs to dog parks either. My reasoning is the same as yours.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:07 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They're cared to death about aging and dying. They want you to be the same.

I don't take my dogs to dog parks either. My reasoning is the same as yours.

I'm not ready for my life to be narrowed down and protected from every possibility. I don't want to spend my days safely hunkered near good medical care "just in case".

I've never seen a dog park where I would take my dogs. I hope there are some good one's out there.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:13 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I'm sure there are many choices, but I suggest you find the climate you want, and then buy a house with a fenced yard. That is what we have done. We live in a non HOA neighborhood but the demographic is retirement age.

We are in coastal GA, Savannah area, and they are very dog friendly here. Any restaurant with outside dining is dog friendly, and even the local baseball team welcomes dogs on Monday games. Savannah has something going on every day.

My son lives in Southern Pines, NC and the same is true for that lovely little town. Dogs galore and few HOAs.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm with you. I don't like dog parks, and I don't think my dog would either.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:21 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
I have looked into this, but it's a "no-go" for me, as one of mine are on the dreaded "BREED LIST." She's my 5th Dobie, all of whom have had more manners, class and brains than most people I know. So, we'll stay with a single as ignorance is STILL bliss.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I have looked into this, but it's a "no-go" for me, as one of mine are on the dreaded "BREED LIST." She's my 5th Dobie, all of whom have had more manners, class and brains than most people I know. So, we'll stay with a single as ignorance is STILL bliss.
I know, right? Why expose your dog to others who aren't raised right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement