Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times

Advertisements

Convenience store cash register or waitress in a really busy place. I would get so confused!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
Anything in a cubicle.
My second degree was in electrical engineering (my first was in literature, lol) and I discovered I detested the high tech cubicle life. My next degrees were in geology and I did more field work, out of the office, which I vastly preferred.

The only job I have ever been fired from was in my late teens as a waitress - in a "haze the new girl" scenario my first day they gave me the table with the known demanding jerks and I was not able to reign in my temper, lol.

But pretty much any retail job serving the general public would be on my list of worst possible jobs. I did make sure my son worked retail while he was in high school so he could see what life on the other side of the counter was like - it's a learning experience, definitely.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:18 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Any job that would have required me to be in a permanently subordinate position, especially if it meant tolerating crude behavior from male customers - think waitresses or bartenders. Typing pool type jobs. Back in my day, nurses (nursing is entirely different these days than when I was young).

Old 09-13-2017, 11:32 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Plenty of posters in the Retirement Forum could, if they wanted to, simply describe the jobs they actually had in real life. A number of people talk about being consigned to hell, being stuck in prison, only starting to live life upon retirement, and so on. I always find those sort of posts inexpressibly sad, and I always wonder why they couldn't have found something a bit less hellish, even if not totally wonderful and gratifying.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:43 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I moderate on two forums, and enjoy it - but it's not a job, I don't get paid for it.
My poor attempt at humor. I was attempting to point out the apparent nature of the OP's user account.

The OP's account appears to be one of the robo-posters who/what spends his/her/its life/run-time-existence posting simple question after simple question to the C-D boards every day. The admins keep banning the accounts, but new robo-poster accounts keep springing up. Just review the mindless questions that get asked here on the retirement forum - note how many of those robo-accounts earn 'Not a Member' status after only a week.

I've often imagined that either these robo-posters are employed by some sort of research firm, either for public polling or possibly artificial intelligence, working to obtain some sort of set of data points.

The only other explanation that would make sense to me that there's some sort of university or college out in the world that teaches computer literacy and part of the curriculum is to make X number of posts onto an English language internet forum.

Perhaps more pertinent to my aversion to being a forum moderator, back in the early 2000's, I knew a guy who was paid by a professional sport team to moderate their fan web forum, and the trolls on that forum made his job miserable.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
........................ Having to submit to regimentation for regimentation's sake (as with, for example, a dress code), was the final insult.

1. We all have dress codes at work - just try showing up naked and see how that works for you. So the question really is how strict and rigid the dress code is.

2. For sure not all dress codes at work constitute "regimentation for regimentation's sake". If an employee is meeting the public, the employer has a legitimate interest in the employee NOT looking like he or she spend the previous night sleeping in a ditch beside the road.

3. I actually prefer NOT to look like a slob if I am meeting the public in an official or semi-official capacity, regardless of what is or is not required of me.

Having said that, I realize that some work dress codes can indeed be unnecessarily rigid. It depends on the overall situation. However, the general trend over the past three or four decades has been in the opposite direction - anything goes. Church, funeral, etc.? It seems to make no difference to some people. Once I saw a substitute teacher in a public high school with ratty, torn, cut-off jeans. That is just not appropriate. Why do you think judges wear robes? It's to lend a little dignity and respect to the courtroom situation. There is a difference between a courtroom (or funeral, etc.) and a back-yard pool party or barbeque.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:00 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Working for a sob that knows nothing and thinks he knows everything

Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
My horror job would be one working for a salary, which I have not done since getting out of the Navy in 1954.

I always worked on a commission, and when in management, commission plus a percentage of what others earned that I managed.

I was first in the Furniture Business. Within a year, I was earning in excess of $125,000 in today's dollars. Then moved into the corporate world with a very old and very large international company 7 years later. I worked up to as high as Division Sales Manager for a division that covered everything west of the Mississippi River.

After a year of university classes to learn the business, in 1972 I went into Investment Real Estate Brokerage, and found out what it was like to make real money.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryChristan View Post
Obviously we have a big thread about dream jobs and careers but what about nightmare jobs , is there any jobs you would hated if took it up

When I was a kid , I would have hated to have been a binman , although I do massively respect the job noe and think they are underrated members of society.
Other former Brit colonies / Brit -> American English translation ...

Garbageman.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I actually did my nightmare job at a young impressionable age.

Call center. Sales.

Yep, I was a spammer back before there was a name for it.

I would try to get by picking up Cal CRV items before settling on a call center based seller job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement