Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 06:00 AM

221 posts, read 192,972 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about seat saving on first-come, first served open boarding? This has become problematic on many folks airline of choice which assigns seats based upon boarding group and entry when your 'letter' is called.
Is this fair or should a more stringent stance be taken to prevent passenger unrest? There is a wide divide between both camps on disputes that ensue and at our age, we don't encourage confrontation. Or do we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 06:22 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
There are airlines who operate like a Bus? No assigned seat? How else would you "save" a seat?

My perspective is that boarding takes about twice as long for those flights with "open" boarding (just line up and get on in the order in which you lined up) vs those with zones. I recently had a month long trip with 12 different flights, split between the 2 (most being "open" boarding in Europe) which is where my opinion comes from. Now, it May be that it takes less total time, but the Perceived time is drastically longer. You're standing in line (once for over an hour from the time they "opened the gate" till the plane was ready to board) at the gate, then again in the jetway/on the tarmac as people at the front of the plane hold up those from the back of the plane.

Since I'm US based, and I've yet to experience "open" boarding on US origin flights, I'm partial to zones. It's what I know, understand and expect. Not saying it's the best, just that it's what I have the most experience with. I'll just chill, well away from the mass of people who like to congregate at the gate, and wait till my zone/area is called. There's no reason to crowd, we're all going to get on... it's not some "first come, first serve" scenario, especially since I don't insist on some massive carry-on (no, I don't check bags either, I use a soft-sided Patagonia MLC ~ 3 days or 2 months, I don't take it if it doesn't fit in that bag).

Old 12-20-2017, 06:23 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,758,941 times
I choose not to fly on Southwest because of the way they seat. Getting through security is dehumanizing enough without lining up for SW’s cattle-style holding pens for seats. I prefer a seat assignment chosen ahead of time.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-20-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-20-2017, 06:49 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Inb4 someone asks why this is in the retirement forum.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:23 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Inb4 someone asks why this is in the retirement forum.
lol, I knew that was coming. so I'll answer the way I usually answer. Why not in the retirement forum? do retirees not fly?

Is there a list of permissible topics around

Old 12-20-2017, 07:30 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I've never flown without assigned seating. I can't see how I would enjoy a free for all in trying to get a seat. No bueno.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2017, 07:43 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I knew that was coming. so I'll answer the way I usually answer. Why not in the retirement forum? do retirees not fly?

Is there a list of permissible topics around
Well, one would think that Retirement forum would focus on topics specifically for Retirement... not all topics upon which a Retired individual may partake. After all, airline seating isn't ONLY a retiree issue and that's "why not"...

That said, I only browse all New Posts (4th from the left on that blue-bar up there, ohh.. 4th from the right too... meaning dead center) and pay little regard to "what forum" being more interested in the actual topic (so long as it's 2 pages or less, C-Ders tend to go off topic with reckless abandon ~ 4th post in this instance ~ and not the Political forum for obvious reasons).

So, Southwest does bus style seating, had no clue (Atlanta-based, they don't fly ATL so I've never flown Southwest). I'm no stranger to being gruff, 2 seats together that aren't occupied? I'm sitting down with my wife, tough on whoever thought they were going to "save" seats. But, to avoid that scenario, I'll just stick with airlines that allow me to pick seats together till I have no other choice.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:59 AM

419 posts, read 388,027 times
I fly Southwest all of the time and really like the unassigned seating. It gives you the freedom of choosing the seat you want. Because people with small children board before everyone else, you can see where any babies are sitting. I'm very sensitive to sound and try to avoid being close to potentially screaming babies. With assigned seating, you're stuck with a seat.

With Southwest, you check in 24 hours beforehand and get a boarding pass with a letter and number. The quicker you check in, the better the boarding pass. A is best, but B will still allow you your choice of seats. You can pay an extra $15 to get one of the best boarding passes.

I've never run into the problem of anyone saving a seat. It's wrong saving a seat because you are rewarded by having a good boarding pass that you either pay for or get by being quick with checking in online. However, unless it was the last aisle or window seat, I wouldn't have a problem with someone saving a seat for a traveling partner.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
I fly Southwest all of the time and really like the unassigned seating. It gives you the freedom of choosing the seat you want. Because people with small children board before everyone else, you can see where any babies are sitting. I'm very sensitive to sound and try to avoid being close to potentially screaming babies. With assigned seating, you're stuck with a seat.

With Southwest, you check in 24 hours beforehand and get a boarding pass with a letter and number. The quicker you check in, the better the boarding pass. A is best, but B will still allow you your choice of seats. You can pay an extra $15 to get one of the best boarding passes.

I've never run into the problem of anyone saving a seat. It's wrong saving a seat because you are rewarded by having a good boarding pass that you either pay for or get by being quick with checking in online. However, unless it was the last aisle or window seat, I wouldn't have a problem with someone saving a seat for a traveling partner.
Nope. On Southwest, the screaming infants board between "A" and "B". I had one grab the window seat 7F directly behind me last Thursday. Bose noise canceling ear buds and my iPhone music cranked up drowned out the worst of it.

As a road warrior business traveler, I like Southwest. You can book/change a flight on fairly short notice and throw $15.00 at it to get an aisle seat and early boarding to have a spot for your roll-aboard. They don't have a change fee. I also fly United a lot but don't have any elite FT status with them at the moment. On short notice, there often aren't any aisle seats unless you shell out money the bean counters won't let me expense for Economy Plus. They also have an outrageous change fee so you usually end up eating any ticket you book in advance at a discounted fare.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:34 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Well, one would think that Retirement forum would focus on topics specifically for Retirement... not all topics upon which a Retired individual may partake. After all, airline seating isn't ONLY a retiree issue and that's "why not"...
Read the pinned thread at the top of Retirement. Unlike most of the other C-D sub-forums, Retirement allows more off-topic "water cooler" threads. Personally, I like it that way.
Please, don't report all general threads as off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement