Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times

Advertisements

I'm confused about the purpose or point of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
The lactic acid wafers are what the 91 yr old is trying and finding good results with for her IBS which has been a long history. She's tried so many things and now this product...once you think you've tried them all, another one shows up. There are SO MANY supplements and I'm thankful for them. I take BP med and thyroid and that's it..but supps yes.

All this reminds me of a woman they rolled into my room at one of the rehabs, she was 101 and with oxygen tank and in their due to a FALL at her apt where she lived ALONE. Her daughter was telling me about her mother. The mother celebrated her 102 BD at that rehab...the woman never smiled....probably wished she were gone. Those falls are usually the road to the end.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In my childhood, there was no father in the home and even less money or family/social advantages.
My mother did the best she could to raise three children on secretarial wages with no help or social welfare. From an early age, I knew that if I was ever going to advance beyond the 'streets,' it was up to me. On my own by about fifteen, I was able to work hard and smart enough to ultimately enjoy a successful career, ministry and retirement.

Over the years, I've watched many with far greater family and financial advantages, live-out their lives with little motivation, or self-initiative... all the while, expecting someone else to 'rescue' or help them. Similarly, one of the most damaging aspects of our society is multi-year welfare system that fosters dependency and robs people of a sense of personal responsibility for their own lives.
Your post is an inspiration.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Just feel like talking. The purpose is one can live on their own into the very old years of their lives. One can ignore this post. Some of us feel like talking.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't know either but so far I am getting the idea that we live longer and have better lives if we help ourselves. Life for us would have been less stressful if our mother had come to live with one of us but she was independent and wanted to live in her own home. So my sister lived around the curve from her, my brother checked on her regularly, our niece and nephew and herself mowed her lawn. About a week before her 85th birthday my brother visited her, looked in the window when she didn't answer and found her on the floor. He knocked her door down, called the ambulance. Less than a week later she died from blood clots. Her stove had still been hot from where she has prepared breakfast so they knew she had not been there on the floor long.

I called the hospital in another city to check on her condition and was told by the doctor she would not be returning home. She was always scared of ending up in a rest home. It never happened. Yes, some people never need help until the very end.

Last edited by NCN; 01-15-2018 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 10:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just feel like talking. The purpose is one can live on their own into the very old years of their lives. One can ignore this post. Some of us feel like talking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know either but so far I am getting the idea that we live longer and have better lives if we help ourselves.
I still don't get it. What is the point of the "talking" on this issue?

Are you saying it's good if people don't rely on anyone else? Or it's better if they do? There isn't even enough "talking" so far, for anyone to understand the point - at least anyone like me.

So, engage me. Otherwise, it's just a journal post, in my opinion. A forum should engage people into a discussion, not just be a place to post statements that don't elicit opinions of any kind.

Not meaning to be ornery, just trying to figure out how you want people to engage.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 PM
NCN

Goodnight. It is my bedtime. I love this thread. Engage however you please. I did.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
I find this thread inspiring! And Colorado Rambler's post at #10 was inspiring too. So far the thread is a testament to not having help at older ages and doing things on one's own when possible.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:52 AM

2,302 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Yes, my neighbour is about 90, looks after himself, mows the lawns, and goes surfing most mornings in summer with one of his retired kids. He can tell me how much an hour his grandkids living in England are being paid, he is so good mentally.

However, his wife developed dementia and was epileptic and eventually had to go to and die in a nursing home.

I read that about 10% of people over 90 are good both mentally and physically. That tends to be in line with my experience and they are very fortunate.

Looking after yourself will not prevent an illness, we cannot order whether we end up with a long term or short term one. My aunt was fiercely independent and died after a fall at 89. She was probably more fortunate than my mother who developed dementia at 88 and is now in long term care, but my mother was also independent and looked after herself.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:02 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,531,674 times
^^^Your neighbor is 90 and surfs? I think I’m in love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement