Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 03:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times

Advertisements

A formal library? Most people do not have a 'formal library' room, but many do have books over the decades kept in book shelves; although a good number of people are keeping less physical books these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 03:25 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
A formal library? Most people do not have a 'formal library' room, but many do have books over the decades kept in book shelves; although a good number of people are keeping less physical books these days.

Ok I have many Books I have read one time and then they set on a shelf. Now I have several Books on my IPad. The last real Book I bought was from a neighbor Author that was criticizing another Author I liked. I just had to see what her Books were like.

brushrunner

Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
When we decided we had to downsize,I tried unsuccessfully to convince my wife,we went from 2100 sq ft to 950 sq ft,now in a jam.
She now realizes after spending money to move and my getting older,85 that it has to happen.As far as I have always felt pack up and let Goodwill have it.
I wish there was an easier way to sell our antique clocks,some old Bell items.I am kind of afraid of Craigslist.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:53 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
One of my hardest tasks was getting rid of books. I disposed of a few but I have some in boxes that I don’t have room on my shelves in my new place.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:42 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
I never had a formal library, but in my last home I finally bought a wall of matching bookcases. It covered a 10 ft wall and I used strips of styrofoam at the backs of the shelves so I could stack two rows of paperbacks on each shelf. It was full of books and I had read them all. I estimated 900 books. I used to get great pleasure looking at them as a great accomplishment.

When I moved, I sold them all to a used book store. Kept the bookcases but should have sold them too because here in VT I have baseboard heat on most of my walls so there is no place to arrange the bookcases all on one wall. I do miss my books but life moves on.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:36 AM

535 posts, read 343,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I started to downsize many years ago when I moved out of my less than 2000 sq ft home and into an apartment in a house. Then I downsized more each time I moved. There is so much stuff that we don't really need, unnecessary accumulations of a lifetime.

The most recent move was into an independent senior apartment complex. I could not believe that I still had so much JUNK to get rid of! The sooner you start, the better. As you get older, this junk becomes a burden and you wonder why you thought you needed to keep it. My apartment has the necessities: a full sized washer and dryer, a dishwasher, big kitchen, nice window view, balcony and a little spot for gardening out front. And it's all on one level. I'm on the upper level and can have a stair lift installed for free if I want one. Everything is all on one level--I have stairs to get in or out, but maybe I'll get the stair lift one of these days. Going up and down the stairs once or twice a day isn't really a problem though.

If you want an example of what can happen if you hang onto to much stuff, my downstairs neighbor is stuck with two storage units full of furniture. His apartment is so crammed with things he's collected that there is only a path through and he has to eat his food, sitting on his bed! He has huge models of airplanes, military memorabilia all over the walls, and even a giant model of a ship in a glass case. He wants to get rid of it but is overwhelmed!

I guess I wouldn't be thinking of building or living in a large place. It's better to downsize and free yourself of all the stuff. Just keep the essentials and a few things for the memories and for beauty.
You are so right! I watch the TV show "Hoarders" from time to time and am scared to become one.
I need to get rid of my stuff for my own well being. I am trying to start with calling my 30 something children to "come get their stuff!!" They store it in my house, garage, attic, and yard.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
A formal library? Most people do not have a 'formal library' room, but many do have books over the decades kept in book shelves
I know quite a few people who love to read and have a room in the house lined with bookcases which can be considered a library.

We had 6 tall bookcases filled with books upstair and long shelves along one wall in the downstair area filled with books. I donated or discarded probably at least 500 books last year and few hundreds more the last few months. We are trying to pare our collection of now mostly hobby books (flying, rowing, nature, hiking, scuba diving, birding and travel) to 3 bookcases. So our 'libray' is now much smaller but to us, it is still our own library.

Of course, we can go online to search for information but it is much better and more complete to have a collection of books on the subject of interest at home. Many of these books are not available online or from the local libraries.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm actually looking forward to having more space. I'm single and live in an 1100 ft house. It's certainly adequate for me and I don't have a lot of stuff. I do have a 1930s collection of CA pottery I will downsize and I also have a 1964 train set given to me by my father when I was 4 years old which I don't want to leave behind or sell. The train set alone takes up one bedroom when it's set up.
Have a "rail" built on the walls of a guest bedroom, above the doorways. Permanently on display, out of the way, and can run, too!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post

I know quite a few people who love to read and have a room in the house lined with bookcases which can be considered a library.

We had 6 tall bookcases filled with books upstair and long shelves along one wall in the downstair area filled with books. I donated or discarded probably at least 500 books last year and few hundreds more the last few months. We are trying to pare our collection of now mostly hobby books (flying, rowing, nature, hiking, scuba diving, birding and travel) to 3 bookcases. So our 'libray' is now much smaller but to us, it is still our own library.

Of course, we can go online to search for information but it is much better and more complete to have a collection of books on the subject of interest at home. Many of these books are not available online or from the local libraries.
Then I have a 'library' too. Since I have bookshelves with books and have had such for 45+ years. lol.

As if I need a lecture on or information on people who have books in their dwelling. right.

As if knowing people 'who love to read' and/or have books is not usual.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-28-2018 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 01:34 PM

310 posts, read 202,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Some people - like my husband - collect books and DO read them over and over. Many of his books are out of print and are actually worth something because of what they are. Having a library has nothing to do with impressing anyone! He READS!!

He has ZERO desire to read books on a device. He spends all day in front of a computer for work. His eyes need a break from screens. Most people probably could use a break from screens!

Exactly. As posted earlier, I have 1,000+ nonfiction books I'm always referring to. I made sure they're all neatly shelved in a separate room. To me a library-styled room full of books has a wonderful presence! Inevitably they will be donated, but...not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement