Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,814,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Love OBX, but seems pretty isolated and remote?
NC has more hurricanes per mile of coastline than anywhere else (even FL) and the place that gets hit the most in NC is the OBX; lots of evacuations. I love visiting OBX, but I wold not want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 06:05 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,054,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
YES
I will concede on the light jacket

I live in Fairbanks now, today is 20, no wind and sunny, just about warm enough for shorts and a T-shirt.

You sound like the people here (MN) - it was 38-40F here one day and I saw so many people running around with no coats - just a med sweater. When it hits 60F they are in shorts & T-shirts.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:10 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,118,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
How about Rehoboth Beach, DE?
Yes, Rehoboth. The nearest hospital is in Lewes, 7 or 8 miles up the coast. U of Delaware has a satellite campus in Lewes for Earth Ocean & Environmental sciences.
Rehoboth is on the ocean, Lewes is on the bay. Between the two is Cape Henlopen State Park which is where the ocean begins.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:24 PM

417 posts, read 706,142 times
I live on Topsail Island North Carolina and I would put in a word for this area and the beaches east and south of Wilmington. Wilmington is a short drive (45min) from here and has a fine university (UNCW) as well as Cape Fear Community College (where I have taken Art classes), museums, theatres, an excellent medical center, and many other resources. The beaches are beautiful and uncrowded and each has its own character. The water is much warmer than Delaware or Jersey because the Gulf stream is right off the coast. It takes off for England when it hits the outer banks.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 PM

352 posts, read 265,151 times
We are hoping in a few years to retire to Wilmington, NC. The Outer Banks in NC doesn't offer much as far as medical, jobs, entertainment, shopping, etc. and is so crowded in the summer and awful traffic. But great for rental property. I have heard many people like the Southport area of NC and further south to the NC /SC border. Lots of options, different budgets up and down the east coast. VA Beach areas near the beach are pricey and if you like a lot of traffic, especially in the summer, then you will love Va Beach!

Old 03-07-2018, 06:51 PM

17,244 posts, read 57,297,398 times
OP, you can go up and down the East Coast and you will find various trade-offs of COL, physical climate, and amenities. Unless you specifically want a cold winter, probably you will be looking at North Carolina to Florida. I recall from a previous post that you prefer a strong surf, perhaps somewhere on the NC coast, maybe Wilmington, is about as good as it gets for you.

Of course a place with good amenities is going to lean towards a higher COL, and higher real estate costs.

When I watch the news lately and see those beachfront houses getting hit with ocean waves, I think this was in MA - I think living that close to the ocean is just nuts. But go ahead if that's where you want to be.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:08 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,642,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Partial quote - I am a long time NC native and don't completely agree about "just a light jacket." Because of the moisture content and prevalence of stiff breezes, it can be brutal at 45 down on the coast and sometimes it does get to freezing. Short winters, but don't get rid of all your heavy jackets.
I certainly agree with that! I was on the rifle range at Camp Lejeune one February morning and I was frozen stiff. I thought we had cold winters in Alaska, but nothing prepared me for that. That was in 1975 and I'll never forget how freezing cold I was that morning.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:46 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,895,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OP, you can go up and down the East Coast and you will find various trade-offs of COL, physical climate, and amenities. Unless you specifically want a cold winter, probably you will be looking at North Carolina to Florida. I recall from a previous post that you prefer a strong surf, perhaps somewhere on the NC coast, maybe Wilmington, is about as good as it gets for you.

Of course a place with good amenities is going to lean towards a higher COL, and higher real estate costs.

When I watch the news lately and see those beachfront houses getting hit with ocean waves, I think this was in MA - I think living that close to the ocean is just nuts. But go ahead if that's where you want to be.
Not E.C. but many Malibu homes are right on the sand and are on stilts...I have no desire to live that close and I'm close but a highway and high hill (pacific palisades) stopping waves.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:09 AM

795 posts, read 1,017,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Another thread has inspired me, but I've narrowed my search down somewhat. Requirements include something akin to four seasons, walkable/bikable distance to beach and basic necessities (grocery, restaurants, etc.), an easy commute to additional amenities like a university, gym, Meetup groups, dance opportunities, kayaking, hospital, culture, natural areas, etc. This must also must be a popular vacation destination so I can rent out my property during peak tourist season. If it were also tax-friendly to retirees, with a relatively low COL, all the better.

Hope I get half the feedback the other poster got!
OP you still haven't provided us with any idea of what your budget is. Right now it could be anything from a trailer to a multi million dollar house. Any reason why you cannot say what type of property and price range?

Last edited by lovnova; 03-08-2018 at 04:20 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,394,784 times
I currently live in two paradises but we're selling our Florida home. When I'm here, I think of Cape Cod. When I'm back on Cape Cod, I think of Florida. There's no such thing as paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement