Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 07:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Sarasota, FL area is fairly warm - easy rental during tourist season, relatively low cost of living (our house close to everything was 250K) and has culture above and beyond 95% of the places mentioned above.

It has the meetups, the colleges, the gyms, the pools, the beaches, the kayaking, the Opera House and probably 10 good playhouses...and, of course, the Farmers Market, the local Amish and sailing and much much more.

Check it out in the Sarasota Forum or come on down. But you really have to stay a month or so and explore to know it (like any other place).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Newport Rhode Island if just ok beaches will do. Less expensive are other beach neighborhoods in Rhode Island but Newport would be the most tourist preferred.
Yeah, but if you sail or motorboat or paddleboard or windsurf or kitesurf - Aquidneck Island is tops!

We have the best of all worlds...a house on that island and one in sarasota (and even one somewhere else!) - living the dream and chasing the sun. We are not wealthy either - just frugal.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
I believe Florida is the only state on the east coast that doesn't have state income tax. Someone chime in if I'm wrong? Since Florida is off your list, you may want to look in a state not on the east coast. Good luck!
New Hampshire only taxes interest and dividends. It doesn’t tax things like pensions or IRA/401(k) distributions. You have to pick the town carefully or you’ll have big property taxes. You need to pick a town with expensive vacation homes or tons of commercial real estate to prop up public school expenses. It’s a pretty short list.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:31 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I didn't say Florida was off the list. And I've found many affordable properties within walking (or biking, I said, which could be several miles) distance of the beach. I'm just trying to target a location that will give me MORE than a beach. Thanks.
I apologize, it was someone else who posted that you had ruled out FL, but I do know you did rule out Gulf Coast, was curious as to why.

And may I ask where you find affordable homes that a beach?

Old 03-11-2018, 05:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I apologize, it was someone else who posted that you had ruled out FL, but I do know you did rule out Gulf Coast, was curious as to why.

I am not the OP, but I have been researching beach destinations. I have found some homes on bus lines in Brevard County FL (Space Coast) for very reasonable prices. Taking a bus to the beach is a little different than walking/biking, so some of the ones I would consider might be further from the beach than the OP would consider.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Just do a Google search on Zillow or any other real estate site; there are plenty $350k or below.

I ruled out the gulf because I enjoy the coast: the pounding waves, the dramatic surf, even the "dirty" sand and strong sea smell. To me, the gulf is more like a swimming pool. But different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not sure I'd be happy giving up my dream of the ocean proper. Living a few blocks back would probably be as much of a compromise as I could make. As for driving to the beach, those who have to do that tell me it ends up being such a hassle (loading things into the car, finding and paying for parking spaces, etc.) that they end up not going all that much... I could stay where I am and not go to the beach all that much!
Fair enough. You are the best judge of what you want, and if an ocean beach is what you really want, go for it. Best of luck, and enjoy the search! Searching for our retirement community was a lot of fun. I have a feeling you aren't going to find what you want within your price range, and hope you keep us posted as your search progresses. It will be interesting to see where you eventually decide to make compromises.

Re: parking. That's more of an issue with tourist destinations along the ocean. In my town parking at two of the beaches is free for everyone. The 3rd beach has concerts, so they offer free parking for residents but charge people from out of town for the concerts. It's no problem to find a parking space, since it's mostly just residents who go there.

FWIW, if you carry a lot of stuff, unless you're right on the beach you're going to need a car no matter where you live. And even more so as you get older.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am not the OP, but I have been researching beach destinations. I have found some homes on bus lines in Brevard County FL (Space Coast) for very reasonable prices. Taking a bus to the beach is a little different than walking/biking, so some of the ones I would consider might be further from the beach than the OP would consider.
You can get walking distance to the beach within the OPs budget in Brevard County. Plenty of low-cost options and a couple of very active cool little beach towns mixed in among the characterless communities. You just have to figure out which end of town the tourists don't frequent.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Fair enough. You are the best judge of what you want, and if an ocean beach is what you really want, go for it. Best of luck, and enjoy the search! Searching for our retirement community was a lot of fun. I have a feeling you aren't going to find what you want within your price range, and hope you keep us posted as your search progresses. It will be interesting to see where you eventually decide to make compromises.

Re: parking. That's more of an issue with tourist destinations along the ocean. In my town parking at two of the beaches is free for everyone. The 3rd beach has concerts, so they offer free parking for residents but charge people from out of town for the concerts. It's no problem to find a parking space, since it's mostly just residents who go there.

FWIW, if you carry a lot of stuff, unless you're right on the beach you're going to need a car no matter where you live. And even more so as you get older.
Parking and parking closeness to the beach are all part of the buying thought process. If living there year round or having opportunity to go when you want helps you avoid congestion. We all love the time before and after tourist season as it is so very different.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
You can get walking distance to the beach within the OPs budget in Brevard County. Plenty of low-cost options and a couple of very active cool little beach towns mixed in among the characterless communities. You just have to figure out which end of town the tourists don't frequent.
I need to get down there soonish, which may be 10 or 11 months. That's soon compared to when I will actually be looking hard at actual properties, which is probably 3+ years. It could be sooner depending on how some things pan out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement