Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 01:21 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times

Advertisements

I think we're going around in circles here. There are 17 pages of suggestions and yet still no closer to finding paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:34 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Our little town meets all your requirements I think except for the fact that it has been discovered and prices are going through the roof. You are looking at 250k for entry level which would be less than two miles from the beach, an easy bike ride. Bikes, scooters and golf carts seem to be be getting more noticeable as transportation. This barrier island is fully sufficient with, stores, medical and restaurants.

The rental market is extremely tight, once the sign goes up it is pretty much rented in a day or two.

Good luck with your search.

Welcome to Amelia Island - Amelia Island, Florida

Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
NC has more hurricanes per mile of coastline than anywhere else (even FL) and the place that gets hit the most in NC is the OBX; lots of evacuations. I love visiting OBX, but I wold not want to live there.

^^^ This ^^^ We lived about 90 miles inland from the coast of NC from 1990-1999 and we saw more hurricanes and severe river flooding while there than in all the years we have lived in Florida.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 04-08-2018 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-08-2018, 07:15 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I think we're going around in circles here. There are 17 pages of suggestions and yet still no closer to finding paradise.
Most big cities don't have a beach, and most beaches aren't near a big city. I might be searching for something that doesn't exist.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:40 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Most big cities don't have a beach, and most beaches aren't near a big city. I might be searching for something that doesn't exist.
Amelia Island, which someone just suggested, is not far from Jax. But it is expensive and the short distance is as the crow files over tidal marshes and mud flats. Just north of the St Johns River inlet there are a couple of state parks on the beach and there might be reasonable places in biking distance. That is close to Jax even as the human drives.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:40 AM

I'll take a look at it (and around Jacksonville generally); thank you!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:58 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
I'll take a look at it (and around Jacksonville generally); thank you!
https://www.traillink.com/trail/amelia-island-trail/

Old 04-08-2018, 02:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:

I don't find the above to be true at all, along the east coast.

But finding that with something similar to four seasons is more limiting.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:06 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
BTW, if you poke around in the forum for Jax, you will find a discussion about snowbirds with a lot of the locals debating about whether or not they really are a snowbird location because they do get a few chilly days. I am starting to warm to the idea of being slightly inland in manufactured housing and high tailing it a few times when storms come through. Getting everything else I want without accepting that is proving very difficult. It is rolling the dice, but the vast majority of manufactured homes down there never have serious damage. If you are one of the unlucky ones, it could suck. Insurance is expensive with high deductibles; almost better off getting a low priced unit and gambling that you won't have to buy another.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
BTW, if you poke around in the forum for Jax, you will find a discussion about snowbirds with a lot of the locals debating about whether or not they really are a snowbird location because they do get a few chilly days. I am starting to warm to the idea of being slightly inland in manufactured housing and high tailing it a few times when storms come through. Getting everything else I want without accepting that is proving very difficult. It is rolling the dice, but the vast majority of manufactured homes down there never have serious damage. If you are one of the unlucky ones, it could suck. Insurance is expensive with high deductibles; almost better off getting a low priced unit and gambling that you won't have to buy another.
My problem with manufactured housing is having to pay the land lease every month; it's like the worst of both worlds (owning and renting). I vacillate between being practical with a SFH set a mile or two back, out of harm's way, and wanting to just go for the whole enchilada (the oceanfront studio condo, HOA be damned). You only live once. Either way, though, I need more of a life than just watching the waves. I'm haunted by that episode of "Andy Griffith" in which Howard retires to a boring tropical island -- only briefly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement