Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 05:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would like some semblance of four seasons, but I believe northern Florida offers that...so it's not off the table.
No. Sometimes in the winter Jax reaches a lowish temp in the morning.

There are no SEASONS.

Unless you mean a season is putting on a jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I have already given some thought to that; I should have mentioned that when I was talking up 2nd-Nth row homes where there is a little slope. A lot of times it is very gradual and easy to walk/ride up, but by the 3rd row the houses can have ground floor rooms.

I have been looking at eBikes. I have knee problems and can't keep up with a lot of cyclists to begin with and then half way through a trip I may need a long break or put up with some serious pain. Some of the eBikes can be off, in power assist mode or pure motor power, so you can start out riding under your own power, then let it help you keep up and finally let it take you home when you have had too much.
FYI, ebikes aren't allowed on many actual bike trails (rails to trails, etc.).....

But you can use them on the wide sidewalks, side streets, etc.

Many of the Amish around here have 3 wheelers with a bit of electric assist (Sarasota).

Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
FYI, ebikes aren't allowed on many actual bike trails (rails to trails, etc.).....

But you can use them on the wide sidewalks, side streets, etc.

Many of the Amish around here have 3 wheelers with a bit of electric assist (Sarasota).
Many places do allow them where I am (NC). But they have to have a top speed of 20 here. If they are faster they come under moped regulations. It would be nice if they let you register one for a physical need. It sucks not being able to go on group bike outings for fear that I will slow everyone down and then have to stop for a while for the pain to subside.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's a very valid point, actually. I do think of that when looking at beach homes up on stilts; those will be a lot of stairs to climb with groceries in 20 years!
Yup, that was basically my conclusion, too. Plus, I began to think of the reality of evacuating for hurricanes year after year when you're in your 80s. Decided that would get old real fast. But for some people it's worth it.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Yup, that was basically my conclusion, too. Plus, I began to think of the reality of evacuating for hurricanes year after year when you're in your 80s. Decided that would get old real fast. But for some people it's worth it.
I am looking for older block cottages that are far enough from the water so they are usually not subject to storm surges. I may even go miles inland and live at a place with a lake. I would like to be able to walk to fishing. I want a community with a clubhouse and some activities so I don't become a hermit. Those are easier to find on a budget if I step down to manufactured housing, but I am not sure I would want to do that in an area frequented by storms. But I do want to limit costs. If my wife and I stay married, it will be a second home but probably my primary residence. If we don't, then I will only have half the funds. We have been cordial but not really a couple inside one house with separate rooms for a while and our ideas about what retirement look like are so different that we don't even try to resolve them.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:59 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,405,078 times
If you are able to build your own house, more and more people are building waterfront housing with concrete. Concrete houses can be built to take Category 5 winds and storm surge. They are somewhat more expensive to build but people who live in them recoup significant savings in insurance, heating and cooling.

Green Place ICF Residential Home | Fox Blocks ICF

The eNJoy House is a fascinating concept for a moveable retirement concrete beach house designed around passive heating and cooling. It was designed by a team from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey and New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) for the 2011 Solar Decathalon.

https://precast.org/2012/12/not-your...l-beach-house/

Old 03-17-2018, 01:47 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
No. Sometimes in the winter Jax reaches a lowish temp in the morning.

There are no SEASONS.

Unless you mean a season is putting on a jacket.
I didn't expect to be raking up leaves and jumping in the middle of them.

Nor going tobogganing in my ski gear down a sand dune.

Obviously, I mean some variation in temperature.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:02 PM

My sister lives in Jax. They use their chimera maybe a dozen times a winter. They do have a few really chilly nights where even a fire doesn't tempt them to go outside. But there are also a lot of short sleeve days. I like the idea of having some warm days pretty much every month.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:21 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,554,963 times
Default Savannah

Curious if anyone here has experience living in Savannah, Ga. My wife has been there to visit and loved her stay. I expect that it is expensive, but has plenty to offer. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Curious if anyone here has experience living in Savannah, Ga. My wife has been there to visit and loved her stay. I expect that it is expensive, but has plenty to offer. Thanks in advance.
My eldest just graduated from SCAD. I am going to miss the visits down there. Tybee Island is the beach and it is only 10 miles or so from the NE side of Savannah. I also have a nephew who tends bar in Savannah. He rents in a house south of the historic district in an old but well built little house. A lot of the houses have "carriage houses" behind them that have been renovated into living quarters. There are condos down at the beach; my sister had a time share there for a while. The beach is nice, pretty standard Atlantic east coast beige sand. The tides can be crazy; some of the inlets turn into plains of mud at a really low tide. The riverfront in Savannah is like a little slice of New Orleans. The historic section can be very pricey. The sprawl toward the airport has less character (IMO) and is farther from the beach, but there is reasonably priced newer construction out that way. It is definitely worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement