Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 06:59 PM

140 posts, read 71,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
sure , just tell no one else to raise prices or inflation to effect things .

most policies are priced so no matter when you start by the time you are in the sweet spot you paid in about 1 years cost in a snf in future dollars
Seems fair if you are paying more into the pot for a longer time period, over an age span where it would be highly unlikely to use that product. Starting at 60 versus 70 should help guarantee a lower rate for life. For those who cannot afford it, paying longer could be key but only if it is at a rate they can afford. Or maybe pay less for less insurance coverage. But we should all be trying to cover ourselves in old age as best we can. My HSA has 50K. I am 50 years old. My employer contributes 3% each mo + my match= about $1800 year.
I forget about that bank account which can be used for LTC for either of us. It would be nice to pay less than $150 a mo. for LTC insurance and keep it at that rate forever.

JMHO of course

Last edited by Penny4YourThoughts; 03-10-2018 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 07:20 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
@Penny4
Get yourself to one of those free steak/seafood meals with seminar. Oughta be worth $20 to you. Attend several for different perspectives.

I never did go to one. I have a cheap FinancialAdvisor

Old 03-10-2018, 08:59 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
I've looked at LTCi extensively and finally decided not to purchase but still find myself wondering if I should apply for a policy and looking at these threads. It's an incredibly complicated decision that makes it hard to make an across-the-board recommendation, even by looking at gross income or asset level.

1 - A logical starting point might be to assess personal risk by reviewing familial disease patterns.

2 - Then look at your personal family situation to try to determine the impact of an early event.

Here, recognize how difficult it is to look at the stats. For one, they are in flux and often do not measure what you think they do. Some are based on decades-old studies and the data are just that - from studies that use imperfect models. One new model estimates that while usage is higher than previously estimated what has NOT been measured is that many actually cycle in and out of care with a portion of that care short-term potentially falling under the rehab covered by Medicare. Not everyone who goes into care never returns to more independent functioning.

http://crr.bc.edu/wp-content/uploads...p_2014-121.pdf

OTOH, some of the higher level of payouts encountered by insurance companies results from folks who have insurance being more likely to use it than estimated earlier, raising costs. Yes, the 2 ADLs must be met. Another issue (alluded to above) is that those in the higher-income quintiles who are most able to afford insurance are statistically less likely to require it.

3 - If uncomfortable with that risk (or any risk) then figure out what income stream you'd use to pay the premiums.

4 - Ask yourself what impact those payments would have either on (1) current lifestyle (say no travel) or (2) future financial goals - and how you'd weigh the possible loss of those options against the worst case scenario of an early event.

5 - Figure out how LTCi fits into various care scenarios (for regardless, planning for future care is always a good idea and saving even small amounts can provide future options). Look at how policies pay out ... examine possible familial care ... look at how care providers actually charge (minimums etc.) ... how might you actually USE care?

Here's one calculator:
What are my long-term care insurance needs? | Calculators by CalcXML

Also, look to your state or your potential relocation state and understand exactly how Medicaid would work for your possible future financial situation. Know your worst-case scenario. Also try to determine how Medicaid is functioning in your particular geographical area. Understand the options you'd be giving up by any future reliance on Medicaid. Anecdotes can be deadly, here. For all the little old ladies who happily settle into a SNL never to leave again, sharing the facilities with full-pay patients ... there are others who leave for a hospital readmit then find the bed gone (Medicaid no longer covers beyond a certain time period) then cannot locate a satisfactory bed in a good geographical location upon discharge.

6. For those who have some need (potentially that includes us all) and can afford it, another issue becomes the purely financial. Is it "worth it?" If the answer is to provide another potential LTC income stream, then possibly. If the answer is for peace of mind, then sure. But from a purely financial point, the answer appears much more complicated.

First, there IS a certain insurance-risk, that the policy will not be there or there will be a pay-out issue. How to measure that is difficult for what is true today may not be 20 years from there. Perhaps not high enough to turn into a "scare-story" but certainly if the reason to purchase is to mitigate risk it is not unreasonable to recognize that the instrument itself carries risk.

For the "older" policies, a purchaser should come out ahead actuarially - even with policy price increases.

For a brand-new policy, it's a whole different story. There is a reason that so few are being sold today. Mathematically, the insurance company knows, of course, your risk profile and a policy is priced to where the chances are high that you will "lose" not only if you never need LTC BUT even if you DO. In other words, by the time you require LTC there is a high statistical probability that you will have already prepaid for that care (for the current SHORT-TERM no longer unlimited care policies) in future dollars.

This is NOT really an insurance product where you pool your risk as with life insurance. A better analogy are the prepaid college tuition programs - but with no refund for non-use. Again, LTC is a high-probability event.

Here's a good Kitces article that explains it much better than I could:
https://www.kitces.com/blog/can-incr...6373#more-5601

But you can play around with your own data to see this impact by using a calculator will let you do a break-even analysis.

The actual figures to plug in are tricky due to the difficulty in predicting future policy price increases and the opportunity costs of your payments (and that cost will vary according to the source of those payments - ongoing income stream vs tax advantage account withdrawals and your marginal rate).

Long Term Care | Compare Policies | LTC Break-Even Calculator

Another cost issue is that in a few states, mainly NY and Illinois (?) the value of a policy may not be measured by a simple calculator. These states provide total asset protection. OTOH, the much lesser asset protection of the remaining states is much less attractive depending on your net worth. Not only is that asset protection limited to the value of the insurance payout - it is last dollar protection. You still need to spend down to qualify for Medicaid.

7. After all that, there are scenarios where counter to standard advice a good case can be made for someone with a low net worth to possibly buy LTCi. The decision is THAT variable.

This (the above) is pretty much what I've done and so far I'm still not buying even though I still find myself considering it. If I had one of the older policies, I'd be quite pleased with myself. Tough, tough call, though, on the newer ones.

(And finally, all of the above can result in very different answers depending on whether you are married ... single etc. Both the pricing and the use profiles vary.)

Old 03-10-2018, 09:16 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
One last thought ... I read somewhere that Genworth is about to throw in the towel on the current LTCi model. Supposedly ... they are going to apply to a few states to start selling policies where the premium is *designed* to go up annually depending on costs etc. This will not impact the current policies that have been sold.

Test-market that approach to see consumer response.

What's currently happening is that the requests to increase prices are "captured" by the states who first deny the price increase until finally forced to do so to keep the company solvent (which is to the state benefit for they wish to promote LTCi to minimize Medicaid costs). At that point there is a sharp price rise, which then leads to consumer outcry and bad press.

Other companies manage their risk (and keep prices relatively stable) by using strict underwriting standards. So if you have really good health, it pays to shop around.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:28 PM

140 posts, read 71,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
@Penny4
Get yourself to one of those free steak/seafood meals with seminar. Oughta be worth $20 to you. Attend several for different perspectives.

I never did go to one. I have a cheap FinancialAdvisor
Thanks so much! I'll lookout for those opportunities

Old 03-11-2018, 06:07 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I've looked at LTCi extensively and finally decided not to purchase but still find myself wondering if I should apply for a policy
I recommend that. I applied and did the physical and got real quotes (they gave me some options; not just one product and not just one insurer) before deciding. I have my regular physical around year end, so I applied and got their physical in the summer figuring if I was getting two that year, they might as well be spaced pretty evenly. Not all of them share all the info, but the lab they sent me to did. I ended up deciding against it. I could swing it, but it would have more impact on budget than I hoped.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 AM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
i was shocked to find how much info about our lab tests are stored in these central data banks . they are like credit histories .

they had years of my blood tests on file .

Old 03-11-2018, 07:46 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
Quote:
i was shocked to find how much info about our lab tests are stored in these central data banks . they are like credit histories .

Interesting! Wonder if HIPAA does not apply, or if you signed some sort of release along the way. As I said in a separate discussion, it's not Facebook et. al. that threaten our privacy as much as commercial data collection like this.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:54 AM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
every insurance form you sign agrees to the sharing of your info. i had some earlier blood test where i was diabetic . over the next 2 years i got the levels down to prediabetic with diet and exercise . well it was all there on file when they finalized my rate and added a surcharge .

one good thing about ltc insurance is you cannot be charged for anything you have happen after the policy is in effect . only increases that apply to all are allowed .

that is why waiting may not be smart . it ended up costing me an extra 1k a year forever . had i taken it two years earlier my premiums just would have reflected i started earlier and been cheaper and without that surcharge ..

Old 03-11-2018, 07:59 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
Quote:

My doctor's office's portal has a few years. I sent them the results from the insurance labs to add to it. I like having that info in one place. There are visit summaries that I would want private, but I am not too worried bout my vitals and tests. Insurance companies have on file diagnosis codes, from the days when they could deny based on pre-existing conditions (and I fear those days are coming again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement