Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
BTW Bideshi, I remember reading your charming tale of how you work in a foreign land and some 30 years ago met and fell happily in love with an 18 year old girl in that country. You are still married to her. Does this mean your kids should not be allowed to work in Germany (as children of an American)? How about when they become immigrants when you return to Colorado? And your sweet young wife--wouldn't it be wrong to forbid her from working simply because you moved to America?
I'm pleased you found our story had some charm. Both our children are US citizens (through me) and my wife is a legal US resident ("green card" holder). I work in Germany with the US military, daughter is married to an American soldier, son is working with the US government. My wife has never worked outside the home because we felt strongly that children need a parent at home and we homeschooled because DODDS is atheistic by law and we are Christians. If she wants to work in the US she can because she is legal. Working in Germany on the economy was never an option for our children because of my status here and their citizenship. They cannot legally work here. There are, of course, many who do work here illegally, but we chose not to be criminals in our host country. Thank you for calling my wife sweet. She really is.

Last edited by Bideshi; 03-27-2008 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
I look around now and then and try to figure out what part time job I can do when I retire. When I see something that pays fairly and looks fairly interesting I usually see an immigrant doing it. Now I have nothing against immigrants as individuals but I wonder if employers would be more open to hiring senior citizens for part time jobs if there weren't so many immigrants begging for jobs. Do you feel like you are in competition with immigrants for a good part time job in retirement?
Are you just looking to keep busy?

You may find in different states, illegals do different jobs. When I lived in suburban Maryland, they worked in the fast food places. Here in suburban Tennessee, I still see a lot of high school kids (some may be college students) working part time in the fast food places. I don't think of this as a comment on illegals but on the lazy spoiled kids, in my former town in Maryland, who wouldn't dream of working while going to school. So your competition for part time jobs could still be students, mothers with kids who don't go to school a full day, or immigrants. It depends on the type of part-time job and where you live. I'm thinking though, more immigrants (legal or illegal) are looking for full-time jobs, not part-time ones. I could be wrong.

I'd like to add, I see natives working in the retail stores, here in Tennessee, too.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I keep hearing about kids who demand $50 an hour for no skill labor and just scoff at that. Or they just figure mommy and daddy will give them whatever they want so why should they lift a finger?
The big problem we had was with kids not showing up for work. They were always calling at the last minute with "the flu" or some other excuse, especially on Friday nights or during the weekend shifts.

Those were our busiest times. And guess what, when an employee didn't come to work the work still had to be done. Usually by me. That gets old, let me tell you--especially when the kid finally does show up for work, and hands you a transparent excuse. Like they had bubonic plague. Then they say things like "Dude, chill out" or "whatever."

I would rather hired a retiree than someone whose attitude made me want to say "Dude, you're fired" any day of the week. I think many bosses feel this way. Maybe you can use this as a selling point in your favor.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
The big problem we had was with kids not showing up for work. ... and hands you a transparent excuse. Like they had bubonic plague. Then they say things like "Dude, chill out" or "whatever."

I would rather hired a retiree than someone whose attitude made me want to say "Dude, you're fired" any day of the week. I think many bosses feel this way. Maybe you can use this as a selling point in your favor.
These stories really scare me. When I was a teenager and first starting, I would never have dreamed of giving responses like that. And you have regular jobs to offer - not just the catch as catch can work.

I have read news stories lately at how this lack of a work ethic is making American industry and govt. employers really worry about the next generation. I guess we can call them the entitlement generation. My two favorite teenagers in my neighborhood should do very well by comparison.

But, if my calculations are correct, I will not need to work for money after I retire.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:56 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
When I was a teenager and first starting, I would never have dreamed of giving responses like that.
You know, I think they get it from tv. It seems like every show has a character who mouths off to his boss and pulls pranks and doesn't show up for work... and then is treated like a hero. I wish there was some way to teach kids that things that seem funny and clever on tv don't work in real life. "Reality" shows are not reality, and sit coms should be called bull**it coms. (Hope I didn't offend anyone, I'm a little cranky today. Can you tell?)

Most of the kids who worked for me were good kids, too. Well, most of 'em.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
The big problem we had was with kids not showing up for work. They were always calling at the last minute with "the flu" or some other excuse, especially on Friday nights or during the weekend shifts.

Thirty years ago, I worked for New York's OVR (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation) and it is amazing that you need to remind even adults (mostly DWIs) that they really do need to show up at work everyday. They really can't think why this is necessary !!??

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
I don't know why people tend to assume illegal immigrants do all the jobs legal citizens don't want to do. Fact is employers hiring cheap illegal help drive wages down. There are lots of jobs that legal citizens would be happy to do if the wages weren't so low because of the illegal problem. I guess we can still get hired as greeters at Walmart though.......

Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Concur with the foregoing. For every illegal immigrant who is working, there's an employer who was all to happy to break the law. But people would rather ***** about the immigrants.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
I think that if illegals were hired by Barnes and Noble or Border's (the two places I would probably work during "retirement", since I've worked in bookstores many times), then they would be taking jobs that I would want.

However, I would find out and sue their (the companies') asses. Also, it would depend on language. You pretty much have to know English to work in those stores.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,863 times
Quote:
OK, enough sarcasm. The best part time jobs for retirees are usually in the same field you worked in during your career. You've already got special skills and a network developed, see if anyone needs some extra help on a contractual basis.
Normie's right. No matter what you did for thirty years, you have developed a skill set that is going to beat most people - whoever your cometition is. You just have to package it right. Probably the worst thing you can do is package yourself with something like "We'll, I'm really retired and just looking for a little something to do."

I say charge full speed ahead and compete head to head with the youngsters. Remember, "Old age and treachery always trumps youth and skill".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement