Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 06:54 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we run 185 days of school for teaches and 181 for the schools here i think . so lets say they have 180 days off .

on my conventional job i had 104 weekend days off , 4 weeks vacation , 10 sick days (had to take them or we got paid for them ) , 10 holidays i think . so that was 144 days off . that is about 36 days difference .
Your "conventional job" is by no means typical. The average is 18 paid days off for those with under 5 years seniority. That includes vacation, holiday and sick time. For those with 5-10 years, paid time off increases to 21 days/year.

You are also ignoring that teachers do not work anywhere near 40 hours/week or the 37.5 standard in NYS.

In the old, old days teachers used to talk about the work they had to do outside of class instruction. Now there schedules build that in. Drive past any school parking lot after the close of school. The lot will be close to empty within minutes of school closing.

Lesson plans and course plans are also a thing of the past. Teachers are expected to teach to the syllabus not free wheel it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 06:59 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Can't say . My wife and daughter do pre k. They have little to do after the bell rings. My wife enjoys subbing now that she retired for a private school

Old 04-03-2018, 06:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Lesson plans and course plans are also a thing of the past. Teachers are expected to teach to the syllabus not free wheel it.
then whats the point of teaching? have them pull up youtube videos all day

Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Master Degrees in teaching are krappe.
$27k per year is TP.
Both stink.
Move to the coasts.. you'll be getting 6 figures in five years!
And the COL will be 4 times what it costs to live in Mid America.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
which some do already

But this teaching to the test thing is saying that has to go

You can teach the required items and do it in a way that helps the students

It isn't that much

I remember listening to my fellow classmates whining about the requirements for teaching middle school math. Yes it was pages and pages - but like any other document produced by higher ups - full of the who what why etc.

I took all that out and less than a page of tasks that had to be mastered in a year. All the verbiage just made it look difficult.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And the COL will be 4 times what it costs to live in Mid America.
I lived in Oklahoma for five years. Property taxes are low and housing costs are low in general.

I was shocked when my military housing allowance was cut in half! This was 20 years ago. I was getting 1400 a month for the san Antonio area and it dropped to 600 for small town Oklahoma. Probably hasn't gone up much either.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
My oldest followed a passion to do film special effects, which can be a pipe dream, but he just graduated from a top school for it, is interviewing and likely to land somewhere that works on films you have heard of and get his name in that long list that scrolls by if you sit waiting for Easter Eggs at the end of the movie. He will likely do quite well for himself.

Growing up in a left leaning home, it's no surprise that 2 of my kids are drawn to social work. If you go straight through, you can get a master's in state schools in 5 years, but will likely struggle financially for the first decade of employment and then just do okay. But they can make a difference in the community and lives of the people within it and I am proud of their decisions.

My remaining child is passionate about a pursuit in design that will provide a good income if he excels at it.
A couple of thoughts, wait until they get jobs to be sure. Yes the top graduates in a top program will get jobs but not all will. After the top tier the others may be more comparable to the top tier at another school with a very good program just a tier below your sons school. Social work is a field where supply exceeds demand and the range of job opportunity varies as do the salary and benefits. Many are in the public sector and are feeling the same reform and financial restraints striking teachers are.

My comment was not in the context of making a difference in the world but in the context of financial security especially as it pertains to retirement.

If your kids graduate without the burden of student loan debt congrats to you for giving them the leeway to have fewer constraints in making it in life.

The comment about the design child is right if he excels and lands a good job which many who excel don’t the odds are against. My youngest wanted to go down that path but fortunately listened to to reasoning. He was accepted at Carnegie Mellon in the design department which had one of the top programs in the country

Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
The "point of teaching" has not changed because teachers now have less freedom to decide what to teach. The school curriculum is typically designed by groups of teachers and other educators to maximize use of time to achieve educational goals.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:23 AM

Housing allowance for a senior NCO in small town ok is $765! 1700 in san antonio

Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I never dreamed that I would live this long. I've been paid over a million dollars in pensions and Social Security. Since I turned 70 I've been sickly and cost media-care and the VA another million. I don't believe anyone can afford this. MediCare is essential if the elderly are not to be lying dead in the streets. We could remove the cap from the wage tax to pay for it.
I think that is a realistic observation.

I think it would be very easy for a person to get back more than they contributed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Seems like we have real solutions in place to keep granny out of tents and cat food in old age. Snap, Section 8, Medicaid, Charities, Food Banks, Meals on Wheels.

Plenty of safety nets. Granny won't be going on free cruises but she won't be starving. Those are the solutions, Is there a problem with that?

Most of my friends who've gotten to 60 broke can blame their situation on a lifetime of alcohol / drug abuse and 3-4 marriages. Bad personal choices. Other than loaning them a few bucks on occasion, I feel no responsibility for their situation.
We have many retired friends, listening to some of their tales of woe, my Dw sometimes gets drawn into their drama. [their car needs repair work, or they don't have enough cash for meds, etc]

She gets pretty worked up over it, when these same people have much higher income than what we have. It is all about personal choices.

Some people earn a lot and they are broke, while others earn less and are doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement