Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 03:53 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Honestly, WHY are Americans so Sensitive? I am an American but have lived in Europe and Canada and the Caribbean for years before retiring in the USA, and there is no race so sensitive to what people say and think than Americans. I do not give a flying crap how people describe me or anything around me. Remember the "Sticks and Stones....." adage. This applies to anything, whether it be "Cheapsville", Race, Color or Creed. Me-Thinks it is a sign of insecurity. There would be far less strife in the USA if people just got over it.
*Insert applause GIF here*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:26 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
JRR, you need to be careful, LOL, because some Retirement Forum posters will absolutely not stand for any frequent poster to be questioned, criticized, asked to explain why they say what they do - it's like a clique or secret society or 'group think' or an overly developed sense of identification with each frequent poster or group allegiance dynamics.
Yeah, I guess I stepped on some toes with my post. Oh well, I'll take my outrageously over-sensitive soul over to the politics board so that I don't cause any more commotion here.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
JRR, you need to be careful, LOL, because some Retirement Forum posters will absolutely not stand for any frequent poster to be questioned, criticized, asked to explain why they say what they do - it's like a clique or secret society or 'group think' or an overly developed sense of identification with each frequent poster or group allegiance dynamics.
I seriously have absolutely no idea what this post means. Cheapsville is not demeaning in any sense. Its a place that is cheap place to live. No more demeaning than expensiveville. The comments had nothing to do with who posted them.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:59 AM

989 posts, read 769,786 times
Are you behind?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rees-than-ever

Old 05-04-2018, 07:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I'm not sure people on these fora harbor any contempt for the poor. I think they are just providing free advice and wisdom the best they can. It's pretty generous in my opinion.
Rep for the uppity Latin plural. "Wisdom" might be a stretch for most of what we read here.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:23 AM

812 posts, read 795,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Yes, way behind. We hardly watch any tv.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:32 AM

310 posts, read 446,998 times
What was the original question?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
What was the original question?
Paraphrasing; Does $250K of savings mean dry or canned dog food in retirement?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:22 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Paraphrasing; Does $250K of savings mean dry or canned dog food in retirement?
$250K in savings along with social security does not mean poverty in retirement. There are some living strictly on social security and getting by. Point being most will do just fine in retirement.

The ones on this forum that say you need millions to retire are more about touting their own wealth than anything else.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:35 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
people live on whatever they have and make it work . we just got back from Bermuda . it is currently the most expensive place to live in the world .

everyone is happy and manages to live on what they have , there is not even minimum wage laws .

we spoke to an 80 year old woman who baby sits a church . she says she learned to ration herself different foods . she will buy 1 chicken and have it last 5 meals using pieces sparingly each day .

few own cars with gas at 10 bucks . there healthcare is not cheap either yet they all manage . most locals say they would never leave despite the expense of living on an island sitting in the atlantic that has nothing but onions and carrots on it. they don't even have any fresh water , no lakes at all anywhere .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement