Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 05:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times

Advertisements

As seen on TV or the movies? Of all of my friends only one has that happy situation. Not me in a 100 ways..

Mods:I just want to ask this here. Among my peers and a group I’m comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:00 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
yes - since it's just me!

Old 04-29-2018, 06:01 PM

On a serious note - I haven't heard of one yet. I'm always shocked/surprised of what I find out.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:04 PM

30,533 posts, read 16,231,137 times
There's no such thing.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:21 PM

774 posts, read 1,049,810 times
I'm not sure what the perfect family ideal that TV and movies represent that you're looking for. I'm approaching my 30th anniversary and my wife and I are still in love and still best friends.

Are there many things that I wish had happened differently - of course. I wish my children had made different choices at certain points in there life. I wish I'd made better decisions over the course of my life.

But considering that my dad is divorced and on his second marriage, my oldest brother is on his third marriage, middle brother is on his second, my son is divorced, and my daughter is a single mother I think the fact that my wife and I have made it through almost 30 years of good and bad and we're still in love and still best friends is better than anything TV or the movies can show.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:23 PM

221 posts, read 192,972 times
Adopted at six months. No brothers or sisters. Military service immediately after high school. Remained on opposite coast. Forever in contact with the parents. When their old age slide began was happy to move east to assist.

Mothers side of the family had 13 children and none of the dozens of cousins chose to remain in contact. Opposite for my fathers and have good relationship with nearly a dozen cousins. Not completely Leave It To Beaver but a solid "B."

Old 04-29-2018, 06:24 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,934,268 times
Yes, I have a perfect family based on the dictionary definition below:

Quote:
Perfect: having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.
The bolded words mean that one has to be realistic in accepting life limitations. I am not a perfect daughter, sister, wife or mother so I don't expect my relatives to be perfect individuals.

All my family members (both extended and immediate) fulfill their duties to society and each other. Most importantly, we care about each other in spite of any personality flaws or shortcomings of our own or others.

I could be very lucky, optimistic or just being realistic and full of gratitude. I know that I can count on the support of every member of my family and of course that they can count on me. This simple fact is enough to make me think that I have a 'perfect' family.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I'm not sure what the perfect family ideal that TV and movies represent that you're looking for. I'm approaching my 30th anniversary and my wife and I are still in love and still best friends.

Are there many things that I wish had happened differently - of course. I wish my children had made different choices at certain points in there life. I wish I'd made better decisions over the course of my life.

But considering that my dad is divorced and on his second marriage, my oldest brother is on his third marriage, middle brother is on his second, my son is divorced, and my daughter is a single mother I think the fact that my wife and I have made it through almost 30 years of good and bad and we're still in love and still best friends is better than anything TV or the movies can show.
Glad to hear about your marriage! My marriage has only improved over the years.

My statement in my post is that on TV and what you see on movies are these big happy families. Everyone gets along(with the occasional exception). Successful adult children. Stable marriages left and right. Great family reunions. When grandma is on her death bed there is like 25 family members present. Too many idealistic stereotypes, which might have some basis 60 years ago, but I doubt if was wholly true

Old 04-29-2018, 06:44 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
HAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh. Ever see Jerry Springer? Yeah...

Old 04-29-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Glad to hear about your marriage! My marriage has only improved over the years.

My statement in my post is that on TV and what you see on movies are these big happy families. Everyone gets along(with the occasional exception). Successful adult children. Stable marriages left and right. Great family reunions. When grandma is on her death bed there is like 25 family members present. Too many idealistic stereotypes, which might have some basis 60 years ago, but I doubt if was wholly true
Hmmm maybe we kind of do? When my dad was on his deathbed, his doctor cried cuz he was so touched by seeing so many of us around him. Eleven kids. He was in the hospital a couple of weeks and he was never alone. One of us was always there, day and night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement