Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Agree that discrination is too difficult to prove. I remember years ago my boss asked me why I passed over an applicant’s resume and I told her honestly, “the woman has a hyphenated last name. If she cannot decide whether to keep her maiden name or take her husband’s name I don’t want her reporting to me.” Make a decision that doesn’t include hyphenation. That was 20 years ago. There are all sorts of ways we discriminate.
Hopefully your boss was well informed and not at all impressed by this ridiculous expression of bigotry on your part and you, too, were soon being passed over for promotion. Or fired. I'd at least have sent you to HR for some serious retraining, not that it would do any good.

Wow. Sure glad I never had to work for anyone like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 06:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
We ate at Seasons 52 on Mothers day and had the worse experience there ever. If it had been our first time we would never go back. The waitress was very apologetic and gave me my steak dinner free and the deserts for six were also free. She was very apologetic and hoped we could come back and we assured her we would as every other experience was great. She was very generously rewarded with a larger than normal tip and a smiley face from me with a TY on the bill.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Talking I give hiring preferences to US veterans -- which in New Hampshire means all my employees are old white dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
It's really EASY to prove. The fact that you haven't hired any N-words (or whatever your personal bigotry extends to) says it all FOR you.
Depends how few staff you have.

If I have 7 employees, it's statistically reasonable to not have a "diverse" payroll. With 700, not so probable.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:16 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I'm an old white guy and I wouldn't want the job because I KNOW I couldn't physically do it.
There have been many good comments since the one I just quoted, but this one really sums up my attitude. Even when I was 17, having a job the kept me standing all day just about killed me (bad feet). But ... despite that, I can sympathize with older people who have a tough time finding work -- even service jobs in restaurants.

OTOH, I occasionally go to restaurants that have older waitstaff. One is a Mexican restaurant with an older, effeminate waiter who at some point looked like he had a serious illness. However, he later reappeared at work looking healthy again. I give that restaurant points for being loyal to an employee.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:48 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Age discrimination laws are rarely enforced, they must have been REALLY egregious.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:17 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Olive Garden is crap. They serve glorified TV dinners. No one with any self respect would want to work there. If this "Seasons" place is owned by the same company, chances are they are no better.
I went there once. That was quite some time ago; it must have been new. If I'd known that it belonged to Darden, I wouldn't have bothered.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:15 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I went there once. That was quite some time ago; it must have been new. If I'd known that it belonged to Darden, I wouldn't have bothered.
Olive Garden is fine for quick dining, especially in small metros without much selection.

I went there for lunch today with my girlfriend. We got under $20. It was a good lunch. We could have gotten a bigger bill at Five Guys.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Olive Garden is fine for quick dining, especially in small metros without much selection.

I went there for lunch today with my girlfriend. We got under $20. It was a good lunch. We could have gotten a bigger bill at Five Guys.
Is price the deciding factor? Because the food is revolting.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Is price the deciding factor? Because the food is revolting.

Your opinion; but it seems that not everyone agrees as there are over 800 Olive Gardens in the country.

I tend to pretty much agree with Serous Conversation. We go to Olive Garden now and then for a lunch and while I do not walk out feeling that it was my best meal ever, it is far from revolting to us.

But then again, that is just my opinion.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:53 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I was thinking of this thread as I read an article about a class action lawsuit being brought against multiple companies (big employers like Amazon, T-Mobile, etc) who are using Facebook age filters so only young people see their employment ads. Even Facebook was included as a company employing the practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement