Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 07:30 PM

14,367 posts, read 11,763,754 times

Advertisements

There is a big uptick in deaths when people get into their 70s. In my case, I was born to much older parents and was only 31 when my mom died; she was 74. Now, at 50, I've also lost my dad, oldest sister, all four uncles, my only aunt, and two of my cousins.

My oldest brother, however, was already 53 when mom died and 71 when dad died. Our parents were so young when he was born that he got to have them around a whole lot longer than I did.

Overall I would estimate that about 50% of my friends in their late 40s/early 50s have lost at least one parent. Some, like me, have lost both.

I have a friend about my age who just lost her grandmother. My parents' generation was so much older than me, I forget that it's possible for people my age to even have grandparents. My last grandparent died 27 years ago; if she were still alive, she'd be 124.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 PM

13,672 posts, read 9,749,483 times
Reading threads such as this, I marvel at the remarkable life-expectancy of so many here. When we hear of life expectancy being 78 or whatever, that refers to a baby born today. Today's 78-year-old was born in 1941. Wasn't the at-birth life-expectancy significantly lower, in 1941? Perhaps I am misunderstanding the statistics. Perhaps we have survivorship bias... longevity looks to be common, because predominantly the stories are about the long-lived.

On my father's side, very few people made it past their 60s. Most died in their 50s, or earlier. It was unusual for children to know their grandparents, as generally the would-be grandparents would have already died, before said children were born. On my mother's side, the paternal line is same as above, but the maternal line is longer-lived. Possibly I still have a small handful of relatives on that side, 8 time zones away. But I've not spoken to them in years, or have seen them in decades.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:35 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,082,715 times
I was 49 when my mother passed at 78 and 53 when my father followed her at 87. My mother living to age 78 was truly remarkable because she was plagued with many chronic diseases starting in her late 30s. Had my father not contracted a C Diff infection which took his life following knee replacement surgery with his good health he would have likely lived into his 90s. But in general I would say when I reached my mid 40s seemed to be the uptick of friend's parents passing away, and now myself 63 can only think of one of my close friends who has living parents but they are in their early 80s and were teenagers when she was born.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 AM

13,287 posts, read 8,482,644 times
My Bio Dad was an only child. So nothing to report on that side. His father passed 5 years prior to him meeting him in the brimstone league.

My Mothers siblings: Her one sister passed at the age of 42. Heart disease. My Mom was 48 or 49 at the time of that loss. My Mom then passed at the age of 77. All her other siblings are still around. Her cousins though...gosh that was ongoing thru out her life. Some from child birth, or drownings...or freak accidents.

I worry about my generation- my brothers and one sister. My Sister is bidding time as her heart transplant is on hold til she can get her vitals strengthened. They are worried she wont make it thru the operation despite putting her on a heart machine . She has every reason to live.......

My one baby bro ...havent seen in years...yet he will always have that place in my heart as I cared for him and looked out for him in school.....Funny that even when we age...our younger siblings can still carry that place in our hearts ( if it was a good childhood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement