Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:09 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,066,662 times

Advertisements

Early 50’s.... about ten years ago. We always thought we’d lose my grandmother first, my mom and then my dad.

Flip that. The old man died first in his sleep at home. I assume the stress of taking care of my mom, Alzheimer’s, did him in. About 15 months later, we lost our mom and then, we lost our grandmother, my dad’s mom, 3 months later.

In an 18 month period, all gone from my side of the family.

My wife’s mother is still alive and in her 80’s. Why not? We support her 100% financially. Lol. Her dad died about 12 years ago. His nursing home costs, again, paid by us, took every penny we made during his stay. We knew it wouldn’t last though.

I figure i’ll Be dead by 80....with a little luck. My wife will easily make 95. She’s in great shape and really takes care of herself.

Still, man plans, God laughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:40 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,457,782 times
My grandparents - with the exception of my paternal grandmother - all died in their 80's. My dad's mother had a respiratory arrest / asthma attack in her late 70's from which she never recovered.

All my grandparents siblings also died in their 80's.

My parents were 33 years older than me - dad died at age 80 (emphysema - he smoked way too many years). My mother 14 years after dad at age 94.

I was 47 when dad died and almost 60 when mom died.

My oldest sibling is 10 years older than I am....at 74. I want her to live forever.

I'm pretty healthy - no chronic diseases and no maintenance medications..... so I'll probably be like my mom and go in my mid-90's - or older.... mom birthed 7 children and I have none.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:39 AM

11,148 posts, read 9,789,597 times
My mom passed away at 65, so I was 42. Her siblings passed shortly after that. My dad passed at 77, he was the youngest in his family, so most of his siblings had already passed. I was 47 at that time.

Husband's dad passed at 85, husband was in his late 40's. His mom passed this year at 91, husband is 64.

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-28-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 06:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,535,539 times
I’m 59 and although my mom died when I was eight, almost all 8 of her siblings are still living or have only died in the past 3 years. All are in their 90s. My dad is 93 and his sister 92. One thing I have learned from watching them age is that should I make it to me early 80s, I will be taking matters into my own hands rather than losing all dignity and independence. Old age and infirmity is a cruel existence but if you don’t take charge before you get there it’s too late.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:35 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,541,348 times
When I was 35-36, my mother and my two surviving grandparents died within an 11-month period...which, coincidentally, was when I was in the last year of law school, going full-time while holding down a full-time (but admittedly time-flexible) job, but somehow found time to have (and conceal) a torrid affair with the woman who turned me down for a prom date, um, 18 years beforehand. I wouldn’t (and didn’t) do it again, but....

What was the question again? I was having a flashback....

Having all those deaths in such close proximity made me more philosophical about it all, although admittedly there was something life-affirming about the affair, even though it (later) broke up both of our marriages.

And made high school reunions strictly off-limits...including number 50 coming up next year.

My father remarried (his secretary, just as my mother predicted), and lived another 22 years.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:13 PM

35,108 posts, read 31,381,963 times
It is so sad to see those generations pass on, because it means we are next up to bat!

Old 01-11-2020, 05:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It is so sad to see those generations pass on, because it means we are next up to bat!
Been awhile since this topic was posted, so decided to pick it back up. it is interesting a few people who did respond have not posted for a few years: I have to wonder if they are now in a better place. that being said, yes it is sad to see generations leave and new ones take over, but I guess we all think we lived in a better generation My parents lived to be 61 and 93. My dad's side living the longest. My husband's family on his mom's side into their late 90s including his mom. I am guessing both he and I are next in line as we are in our 80s It is probably about time to move over and let the next generation take over. I just hope they are not going to ruin everything

Old 01-11-2020, 09:11 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,606,709 times
Lost one parent (to health reasons) in my 20's. The other is still going strong. So the OP' s question doesn't really resonate with me. There's no one age, in my case.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:18 PM

5,595 posts, read 6,525,684 times
I was born late in life, so my mother and both sisters have all passed away. I am the "head of the food chain" now. My Mom passed away in 1993, when I was 38. Prior to that her older sister, my favorite aunt, passed in 1992, along with my husband's maiden aunt, who I was close to.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:00 AM

16,117 posts, read 10,790,938 times
It's odd but I remember when my Dad's aunts and uncles died more than I recall the passing of my parent's generation. That's probably because I was a little kid and it seemed like a big deal. We would get a phone call in the night from Sainte Genevieve, who I thought was an actual Saint, and it was always bad news. My Dad would hang up the phone and say "Sainte Genevieve called..." and somebody else had died. It took me a while to figure out that Sainte Genevieve was "Ste. Gen", a fairly happy little town where we would sometimes go for weddings or an occasional family reunion. My older brother knew but enjoyed keeping me in the dark.

My parent's siblings, my aunts and uncles, mostly died after I moved away. I was about 27 when the first one died but most were 15-25 years later. We are scattered and no longer a close family and I wasn't even notified when the last 4-5 on my Dad's side died. My last maternal uncle lived to about 95 and I last visited with him at his 93rd birthday party when I was probably over 60 by then. When he died I lived 1200 miles away and did not make the trip for the funeral. My brother is now the family patriarch -- oldest of the bunch. One younger cousin died probably 25 years ago but the rest are still vertical. I saw a couple of them in October - the first time in 30+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement