Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times

Advertisements

Prell Shampoo. We needed somethi g strong to get that Brylcreme, Vitalis, and AquaNet out of our hair during our once weekly shampooings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 09:41 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Just this morning as I was shampooing my hair, I suddenly started thinking, "Halo, everybody, Halo ..." and also remembered Tame cream rinse. And for that matter, what ever happened to Prell shampoo, with the pearls slowly sinking down into the green shampoo?

Ah, Prell Shampoo, the original Lava Lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My parents bought a fridge in 1940 like the picture of the ice trays. It would freeze ice cubes, but it was not cold enough to keep ice cream.

My friends parents bought a GE fridge, but the letters on the door spelled "General Elcetric. They never got it corrected.

My father bought a brand new Chevy in 1937 for $700. I still have the bill of sale.

The phone we had when I was a little kid did not have a dial, you picked it up and told the operator what number you wanted. My sisters first job after high school was operator at the phone company.

We bought an old International Harvester refrigerator in 1969 that had traveled with the military all over the world. We shipped it back to the US and the thing lasted forever.

Do you remember "party lines"? 2-4-6 different families on the same line. Each family had a different ring, so when the phone rang you'd know whether to pick it up or not. Every party line had a nosy old lady who listened in to everyone's calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Prell Shampoo. We needed somethi g strong to get that Brylcreme, Vitalis, and AquaNet out of our hair during our once weekly shampooings.

I remember going to the local beauty school in the early 1960's to get a comb-out (French twist, beehive, other hairdos) for dances and special occasions. It cost $1.75 to get it done and when you spent THAT.MUCH.MONEY on getting your hair done, it had to last at least a week. So we'd wrap it in toilet paper every night and sleep on satin pillow cases. The next morning, there would be "dents" in the hairdo that had to be popped back out with a rat-tail comb or a knitting needle and then yet another layer of AquaNet added to the 'do. Trying to get all that ratting and hairspray out of your hair later was a major undertaking.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Most certainly remember "monkey bars".

www.pinterest.com/pin/554153929140828749
And the Monkees too?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:43 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Anyone remember the cut-off-your-leg merry-go-rounds?

https://hubpages.com/games-hobbies/T...erry-go-rounds

Only it looks like this one has a safety bar. The one we played on didn't. That would have been considered a luxury.

"Soldiers of Fortune," "The Vice," "Mr. Lucky" on the TV?

"Let's Pretend" on the radio."

Buying margarine in a dairy state? It couldn't look like butter so it came, looking like lard, in a plastic "pillow" with a dot of food coloring in the center. You had to massage the food coloring into the white substance before cutting it open.

Blacksmith shops?

Last edited by Lodestar; 05-29-2018 at 11:53 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I miss my Hadacol vitamin supplement. Cured everything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadacol

Old 05-30-2018, 05:30 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I miss my Hadacol vitamin supplement. Cured everything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadacol
What about Serutan? It's "Natures" spelled backward!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:36 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Good Grief - I probably remember 90% of all of them. :-(

Old 05-30-2018, 07:15 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Prell is still around. Remember when the only shampoos were Prell, Breck, and maybe White Rain? And it wasn't conditioner, but creme rinse.

How about Bonne Bell skin care? You couldn't be a teenage girl without it.

And Phisohex, before it became Phisoderm.

We had a fridge with one door, when you opened the door, then you could open the freezer door.

How about S&H green stamps?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:51 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Just this morning as I was shampooing my hair, I suddenly started thinking, "Halo, everybody, Halo ..." and also remembered Tame cream rinse. And for that matter, what ever happened to Prell shampoo, with the pearls slowly sinking down into the green shampoo?
Were those pearls? I thought they were air bubbles to show how thick and rich it was?!

Oh well, that made me think of Pearl Drops tooth polish from the '70's but that wasn't sooooo long ago, I guess. And that made me think of another green shampoo, not quite so iconic as Prell but Earthborn Green Apple shampoo.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Anyone remember ..........

Buying margarine in a dairy state? It couldn't look like butter so it came, looking like lard, in a plastic "pillow" with a dot of food coloring in the center. You had to massage the food coloring into the white substance before cutting it open.

We found this in small grocery stores in remote areas of Northern Ontario when camping in the very early 1960s. Being young kids, we clambered to be the one to knead the margarine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement