Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:31 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times

Advertisements

Yup. Found my wife there, a year ago. Very happy together.

Here's the secret: Describe who you are and what you want with scrupulous honesty. Nobody wants surprises. You will get responses from the people you want, who are looking for (or at least, accept) a person just like you.

When you get responses, don't bother with the ones with one-word answers. Follow up on the ones who give detailed answers to your specific questions, and reward them in kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:24 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,200,507 times
Well, I don't know about it personally, been married 47 years, but, my niece, nephew and daughter met their spouses through dating sites.

Being old fashioned, I was shocked. But amazingly, all are still happily married 15 yrs later. They have really good spouses, great lives and seem so happy together. I love my son-in-law who is very good to our daughter and they gave us two beautiful granddaughters.

I don't think I would do it, but who knows? If I was in my 30's-40's maybe I would try it.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:08 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Well, I don't know about it personally, been married 47 years, but, my niece, nephew and daughter met their spouses through dating sites.

Being old fashioned, I was shocked. But amazingly, all are still happily married 15 yrs later. They have really good spouses, great lives and seem so happy together. I love my son-in-law who is very good to our daughter and they gave us two beautiful granddaughters.

I don't think I would do it, but who knows? If I was in my 30's-40's maybe I would try it.

Yeah, back in the day we usually met partners from the neighborhood or at school. Now young people are so mobile that the internet is the same as the neighborhood was, at least that part we spend time in. At least there is initial screening for similar interests, not just some random luck.

As seniors I think it's good since a lot of friends aren't around anymore to introduce & socializing with a new group can be difficult. OLD can help eliminate unlikely prospects at the beginning. Still best to meet someone with a shared interest activity though.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:22 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,410,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Laying low until the court paperwork is finalized. Looked at dating sites for women about my age. I know those profiles range from fake to real, does anyone have experience with this?

A woman I know just met a guy online and said he seems OK.
Jeezus, the paperwork's not even final but you're already looking? Alrighty then.

Couple of my widowed GFs (early 70s) are very actively looking and dating. One has met some decent guys but she has very specific criteria that most of them don't meet. The other met a nice-looking guy who was just using her for sex. And he was suspiciously "working out of town" every weekend. I've seen what's out there in my age range....I'd rather just stay single.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:56 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,658 times
So I'm a widow and am going to give match a try. I'm not getting remarried so that makes things a bit easier for me I think. I would like to date but if I don't find "the one" I'm also good with that.

I think you have to be happy single before trying to find a special someone.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:32 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Laying low until the court paperwork is finalized. Looked at dating sites for women about my age. I know those profiles range from fake to real, does anyone have experience with this?

A woman I know just met a guy online and said he seems OK.
I met someone online, but not a dating site. It was a forum like this one. We were there because we had common interests, and we started DM-ing on the side, became friends, and realized over time that there might be something there. We met, and there was. He is in his mid-60s, I will be 60 in August.

Having common interests is key. Also honesty, as others have pointed out, and I might add, being open to accepting a person as they are.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
OLD can work indirectly, too. I met a guy who got me involved in a sport (ice-and-land-sailing) and after he was out of the picture, I continued the sport where I met another guy whose town I visited. I liked the town and moved there, then met my husband through hiking. We were both 50.

I say, give it a chance--it might lead you somewhere you wouldn't have gone, otherwise. I had fun and lots of good experiences. Some not-so good, but, hey. That's life.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I tried a dating site called LosersOnly.com and all I could find was unemployed, felons, drug addicts and alcoholics. I do not recommend that site for finding love.

Sounds like POF (Plenty Of Fish) where I experienced married men (who said they were single) and mentally questionable folks . (This was over 10 years ago).

OP: Be very careful. The dating sites now are filled with scammers, who tell you they love you in 2 days, want to visit you but suddenly they had a car crash and need you to send them money. They rely on your loneliness and milk you for all you have. (not to say all profiles are scammers. You have to weed through the sites)

My rec: Meet someone in your city that has the same interests as you do, whether that be reading, tennis, hiking, camping. Find someone who enjoys what you do!

I do not recommend the internet anymore. Too many con artists and opportunists. Not to say there are those who got lucky and met someone right for them, but tread lightly!

Old 06-07-2018, 12:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
^^^^^^^^ I totally agree with the above.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Jeezus, the paperwork's not even final but you're already looking? Alrighty then.
Do you know what's going on with the OP then? I was separated for 2 years before the divorce was final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement