Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:09 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Way too much to read.
OMG....just look at the pictures! Gee wiz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
If I was retired and in good health...

1) I'd be doing all the motorized travel across the US I could afford. Maybe by an RV/camper deal. You see and learn so much more on the road than you do in airports.

2) Probably move to Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC. I don't hate where I am, but the "other side of the mountains" has so much more to offer. I'd love to see the West Coast, but no real desire to live west of the Mississippi.

3) Spend a good bit of time hiking, fishing, and other natural pursuits.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 PM

558 posts, read 338,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
This was forwarded to me from my older brother. He lives by the motto he put in quotes at the bottom. The author is unknown, at least to us.
Enjoy!

Some wonderful advice for Baby Boomers:

1. It’s time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it.

Cheers! Greg
Retiring on Monday, then spending all your life savings on Tuesday, seems like a recipe for catastrophic failure.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Retiring on Monday, then spending all your life savings on Tuesday, seems like a recipe for catastrophic failure.
Is that really how you interpreted the simple recommendation to use and enjoy your money? Seriously?

Even as hyperbole, your comment is ridiculous.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:27 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Is that really how you interpreted the simple recommendation to use and enjoy your money? Seriously?

Even as hyperbole, your comment is ridiculous.
yup!

I agree-take with it what you will. There's a lot of good advice there.

And, of course for those so inclined, a lot of opportunity to criticize.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:48 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
A long read, but a good read. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-15-2018, 05:04 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,399 times
This is a great read, full of wisdom.

Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts into words and for posting it!

Old 06-15-2018, 05:17 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimalistMary View Post
Rooted in too much vanity for my tastes. Vain superficial people who feel they need to spend $$ to be happy don't impress me. There is some good advice mixed in though. People matter, including family. IF you want to matter, then make others matter.

Yes you can share your wealth with family and be blessed by it, gimme a break.
You can live with them, no matter how much $ you have.
I know of two familieswho live with their kids and grandkids. No one is hurting for money. All professionals their entire life. It works well for some people. And BE PROUD? How about BE HUMBLE. Nice to people. Down to earth. Caring. Then you won't need to keep up with the Joneses by "living life to the fullest" by spending $$ on doing your nails and keeping your cupboard stocked with vanity items (not that i am against them, you should see my cupboard!) yet being humble and caring about others results in blessings beyond measure. Care what others think about you, don't discard their feelings with your puffed up pride. Don't make your focus on materialism, a simple flower/plant, a walk and kind gestures are more important than "buying the best for your significant other". You'll need alot of support as you age in which $$ cannot buy so keep and make good friends. Money allows people to live, but do not live for money. Ever.

Pride commeth before the fall. Share $$, your love, assist others as your heart is led to. Do what is right so you may live a blessed life, not what satisfies your temporal fleshly desires at the moment.

Cut and pasted

“Always buy the best, most beautiful items for your significant other
do your nails, go to the dermatologist and the dentist, keep your perfumes and creams well stocked.
Do not surrender to the temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if you have a financial choice, that is).
Take no notice of what others say about you and even less notice of what they might be thinking. They’ll do it anyway, and you should have pride in yourself and what you’ve achieved.”
actually I found it the opposite of vanity. I find that as boomers/retirees/close to retirement, our entire life is focus on money and hoarding it.
The problem is most of us DO live for money. Not only that we stress excessively about being without it in our old age. we focus so much on what's going to happen at some imaginary age that we might not even see that we do not enjoy TODAY

I think that is the biggest message, One of the contradictions I see here all the time is how posters will brag about not helping their adult kids out (and I mean at 18) and then turn around and say they are not spending their money because they want to leave the kids a wad of cash when they die?? huh?? that makes no sense to me.

Or my favorite "no one needs a 3000 sq ft home". You (not you personally, general sense) are correct no one "needs" a big home but if you can afford it, buy it.

the take away I got is to enjoy your here and now. If you want to go get your nails done and I see nothing wrong with wanting to look pretty, go get your nails done. I don't think that's keeping up with the jones?

Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
OMG....just look at the pictures! Gee wiz.
lol, it's a result of our instant gratification society. anything longer than a 'tweet" and we freak out.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:59 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Read "Desiderata" again.

Max Ehrmann's "Desiderata"

Then, if you have time, read Lao-Tzu's "Tao Te Ching".. It takes a bit more time and effort, but it is short and rewarding, too. Sone translations are daunting, but the dumbed down ones are fine.

Last edited by cebuan; 06-15-2018 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement