Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:43 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the reminders. Words of wisdom.

Tomorrow is our Fifty-first Wedding Anniversary. For the last year I've been assessing my part of our well-worn, tattered and patched love affair and making repairs where I can see the need. Change makes everything new again. DH carries a coin which says, "If you want something new to happen try doing something different."

Our mileage varies, ebbs and flows through the years. I'm grateful for it all. The tough times made me stronger and more understanding, patient. The good times were rewards for the hard work. And all the rest of it is just two people keeping a promise.

There's a very strong childlike side of my nature that winks and tells me to enjoy. I will it to be so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 08:45 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
OMG....just look at the pictures! Gee wiz.

Pictures?????? What pictures?

Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Very nice - thanks for sharing!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Tomorrow is our Fifty-first Wedding Anniversary. For the last year I've been assessing my part of our well-worn, tattered and patched love affair and making repairs where I can see the need. Change makes everything new again. DH carries a coin which says, "If you want something new to happen try doing something different."

Our mileage varies, ebbs and flows through the years. I'm grateful for it all. The tough times made me stronger and more understanding, patient. The good times were rewards for the hard work. And all the rest of it is just two people keeping a promise.
There are many reasons beyond "just two people keeping a promise" that make older people and seniors stay in very long-term marriages like 51 years. (or even marriages of far less years)

just commenting. Because the "just two people keeping a promise" does not fully examine what keeps these couples together.

Others reasons can be

1) financial reasons (a big reason)
2) fear of not being in the marriage
3) fear of being alone, lonely, or how to function in life alone
4) not knowing any other way to live
5) thinking something is better than nothing, in terms of one's spouse
6) being conditioned to stay with status quo
7) love or liking, of course

There are many reasons beyond just keeping a promise. Perhaps reasons not in the OP's marriage. I'm speaking mostly about other marriages.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-15-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 02:04 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Well I certainly don't agree that it's a bad time for investments (second part of #1). I continue to invest in areas (stock market, rental properties) which provide me cash flow for my present and my future! I have 25-30 years to go and keeping up with my investments funds at least a portion of my lifestyle.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:10 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
This was forwarded to me from my older brother. He lives by the motto he put in quotes at the bottom. The author is unknown, at least to us.
Enjoy!

Some wonderful advice for Baby Boomers:

1. It’s time to use the money you saved up. Use it and enjoy it.
2. Stop worrying about the financial situation of your children and grandchildren, and don’t feel bad spending your money on yourself.
agreed
Quote:
3. Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort.

4. Always buy the best.
Those baubles won't keep you warm either. Spend the money on vacations and take pics. The memories will be refreshed each time you see those pics.
Quote:
5. Don’t stress over the little things.
agreed

6-8 non sequitur for some
Quote:
9. ALWAYS stay up-to-date.
agreed

Quote:
10. Respect the younger generation and their opinions.
Not when their opinions are based on feelings and not facts.

Quote:
12. Some people embrace their golden years, while others become bitter and surly. Life is too short to waste your days on the latter. Spend your time with positive, cheerful people, it’ll rub off on you and your days will seem that much better. Spending your time with bitter people will make you older and harder to be around.
As I see this world go into the toilet, one cannot be positive on everything and everyday....
Quote:
13. Do not surrender to the temptation of living with your children or grandchildren (if you have a financial choice, that is).
14. Don’t abandon your hobbies.

15. Even if you don’t feel like it, try to accept invitations.
agreed.
Quote:
16. Be a conversationalist. Talk less and listen more. Some people go on and on about the past, not caring if their listeners are really interested. That’s a great way of reducing their desire to speak with you.
yet we're to shut up and listen to them droning on and on?
Quote:
17. Pain and discomfort go hand in hand with getting older.
If you're doctor ain't helping, then change doctors...if they aren't helping then what's the alternative?
Quote:
18. If you’ve been offended by someone – forgive them. If you’ve offended someone - apologize.
If they ask for forgiveness then I'll forgive.....
Quote:
19. If you have a strong belief, savor it. Live your faith and set an example. Live true to your beliefs and let that memory sway them.
I'd love to hand that saying out to a certain sect....
Quote:
REMEMBER: “Life is too short to drink bad wine and warm beer.”
Hey, some of us like warm beer....Hits me harder....go figure.

Cheers! Greg[/quote]

Old 06-15-2018, 02:12 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Mixed feelings, some words of wisdom some superficial nonsense. Truth is as old people we are obsolete and relevant only to each other. How we do or don't spend our money and time, how we dress, or think is our business no one else's. I'm also a fan of warm beer, pocket t-shirts and cargo shorts.

Last edited by bobspez; 06-15-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There are many reasons beyond "just two people keeping a promise" that make older people and seniors stay in very long-term marriages like 51 years. (or even marriages of far less years)

just commenting. Because the "just two people keeping a promise" does not fully examine what keeps these couples together.

Others reasons can be

1) financial reasons (a big reason)
2) fear of not being in the marriage
3) fear of being alone, lonely, or how to function in life alone
4) not knowing any other way to live
5) thinking something is better than nothing, in terms of one's spouse
6) being conditioned to stay with status quo
7) love or liking, of course

There are many reasons beyond just keeping a promise. Perhaps reasons not in the OP's marriage. I'm speaking mostly about other marriages.
Well there are a lot more, and better in my opinion, reasons.

1) Because you're a better person because of your spouse
2) Because giving love is the greatest gift
3) Because you respect and admire your spouse
4) Because you can't imagine being happier with anyone else
5) Because they've stood by you through hard times, and you want to do the same
6) Because it feels good to have the memories of a lifetime together, as partners through it all.

YMMV

Old 06-15-2018, 02:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I wasn't looking for 'better reasons' and definitely NOT stating better reasons - I was stating actual and true reasons for a good number.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:04 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
We are decades older than Boomers.
#8 on the list is good advice.
Grandmothers with fresh tattoos look goofy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement