Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Living alone is too hard to do. "Honey, can you bring me a roll of toilet paper?"

There you go.

I've lived alone ten years, more if you count the apartment in California. It was a disaster which needed a really dedicated home repo, enough of a disastor the people who bought it and got everyone to move lost the last laugh... Code refused to let them 'fix' it. The people who lived there had already moved in. Also beware of apartments.

Having people close, even if they weren't friends, did give it a feel of not being isolated. Here, with my house usually housing some cats and dogs and me. Mostly, I never met anyone local who I'd care about, and wanted away.

But I talk to my dogs like they were listening sometimes. And sometimes I make really long phone calls.

I have thought about it, but I don't want to live with the shared walls. I'd like to be closer but not that close. Andit does hit me hard some times. But people here are nice to you, but you don't feel like your 'locals'.

I've considered doing up the extra room as as rental, but that would require a stranger live in my house. ugh, baadddd just not me. A friend close enough to visit but to far to say they lived....so long as they shared enough which is difficult (tried it before)

What happens when your older I don't know. Would you want to be with people, even if you had to take care? Or just hope to find a like mind to fill up the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 AM

121 posts, read 89,018 times
In my family / friend network there are 11 couples who are 60 plus and been together long term, one divorced guy who is now committedly single and another who repeatedly tries to get another wife. Two of the couples have relationships that appear, from the outside, not particularly happy even if stable. The rest seem to enjoy being married and being together, myself included

I have not done a poll but from conversations over the years I would guess only one of the married people, a guy, is likely to seek another partner if their spouse died. The rest would stay single, again me included.

I think one of the reasons is we get more set in our ways and less willing to put up with things that annoy. We may accept it from our long term partners if they have enough credit in the emotional bank or we have just grown to accept that aspect, but we wont take it from a person new to our life.

In response to the original question my answer is no, yes but no. The initial “no” is because I am happily married and want that to continue, the “yes” is if I found myself single I would probably stay single, the final “no” is because if I could find an instant long term relationship I might. The latter is driven by the calendar as if you asked when I was in my 40/50s the answer would be different.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:54 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm wondering what kind of experiences people have had that they would never live with someone again. Must be some PITA spouses out there. I never had anyone I lived with bug me and always had my own space to do what I need.
Marriage to an abusive drunk/druggie/gambler will do it.

I've been living alone for nine years since my daughter left for college. I did not want to live with anyone ever again. It was me and four cats. Does that sound like a stereotype or what?

But three of the cats are now in The Great Catnip Fields and it's very likely that I'm not going to be sticking by my resolution for much longer. You never know what lies around the next bend in the road.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:20 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Marriage to an abusive drunk/druggie/gambler will do it.

I've been living alone for nine years since my daughter left for college. I did not want to live with anyone ever again. It was me and four cats. Does that sound like a stereotype or what?

But three of the cats are now in The Great Catnip Fields and it's very likely that I'm not going to be sticking by my resolution for much longer. You never know what lies around the next bend in the road.

Well, most cats are better company than most people. So, I would suggest, go on and get at least one new cat, your remaining one would like the company.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:08 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
After being married for 13 years, divorced for 20, then now married for 14 years, should I outlive my hubs I have no intention of sharing space again. I've told my son not to get any ideas about me living with him. I'd jump off a bridge first.

I do miss the privacy I had living alone. I want to get up at 2am and watch tv, no problem. Can't do that now as husband is a light sleeper. And he gripes about everything, talks to the tv, etc. Ugh.

Just doing my own thing, wow, that is almost a reward for becoming a widow.

And of course, there is always the very real chance he will out live me.....

Old 10-02-2018, 02:08 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, most cats are better company than most people. So, I would suggest, go on and get at least one new cat, your remaining one would like the company.
I know he would. He has never been the only cat, but if I am going to relocate him, it might be best to wait.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm wondering what kind of experiences people have had that they would never live with someone again. Must be some PITA spouses out there. I never had anyone I lived with bug me and always had my own space to do what I need.

Yeah.
A lot of divorced or widowed women I know don't ever want to live with a guy again bc it's too much work.
Some of these ladies don't seem like they'd be a picnic, either.

But I had to live with my brother for a while as an adult, and I get where they're coming from.

I wouldn't want to live with anyone who wasn't my immediate family or my spouse. My parents don't bug me and I assume my kids wouldn't either (could be a big assumption).

Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But I had to live with my brother for a while as an adult, and I get where they're coming from.

what did he do?

Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Had a little gathering with some female friends this afternoon.

I told them that i had decided i needed to end my roommate relationship. Might be in a year or so

Anyway, one of them said, "but you are lucky that he does things for you". Like cut the grass? Sheesh. I told her i can afford to pay someone to do that. No need for him to be out there in the hot sun.

Just glad i have that option. These ladies do not.

And yes, i'm sure he has lots to complain about me. Hmmm - wonder what that is - lol..

Old 10-03-2018, 11:39 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
I find women pretty boring, so pretty much avoid interactions with women on a one on one basis. If a woman acted romantically toward me, I figure the only reason would be to get her hands on my money. I think most women would find me pretty boring, which is ok by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement