Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,572,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Join a Bird Club. You can hike, be with nature, and birders of both gender who are mostly interesting people.
That's a good idea, thanks. I'll look around online again. E. Oregon is not very populated so the clubs available won't be like what I had hoped for. At least so far. And towns are spread out. Oh well, you live, and learn, usually lol.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:20 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I have been to a few Meetups and have never "met" anyone. I think it's because the meetups seem to be people trying to start new businesses of some kind. The focus is always on the content - the ones I have been to are like classes - and there isn't even any opportunity to get to know other people because the "expert" is lecturing the entire time or there is the "activity" to do.

There is no opportunity to socialize and that is not built-in to the curricula.

I would imagine the outdoor ones are different (the hikers, wine-tasters, etc.)

Old 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

OK... it's clearly not for you... hope your knee is doing well.
Do you think that downhill skiing in the mountains of Colorado or some other western states is 'for' most woman who are in their 60's and above or even a large percentage of those women in their 60's and above?

just curious....

Old 07-10-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It has to be where you live. I imagine "eastern Oregon" is more sparsely populated than the Jersey coast. There are tons of Meetup events around here. When I first moved to where I am, about 60 miles from where I lived most of my life, I used Meetup and found two writing groups. My goal was to meet people in general, not necessarily a partner, although that would have been nice but didn't happen. Still, I got into my writing more, met other writers, attended some interesting events, etc.

It seems to me that the people most disappointed in Meetup are those hoping to find romance as a primary goal rather than those approaching it from the POV of looking for people with common interests.
Oh, meetup is out here, just has very, very sparse choices. I don't want to meet a bf, I just want to explore the area with those that know it. There just isn't anything on there within 50 miles that doesn't make you want to cry, lol. The cool photos in the header have people hiking, surfing, stargazing, all the fun stuff. The hiking photo on it was from the UK. I want to go with them, but it's a little out of the way. Here, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Guess I'll just have to cross this off my list of possibilities. I just don't want to get lost out there in the wilderness in unfamiliar territory, and get found by the bears, or mountain lions . Safety in numbers.

P.S. The kayaking photo looks like lots of fun too.

https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...s&sort=default

---------------------------------------------------

Old 07-10-2018, 04:51 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
^ could be worse. Dayville Oregon. So desolate that even the sheep has abandon the land.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^ could be worse. Dayville Oregon. So desolate that even the sheep has abandon the land.
That is bad . It's pretty around here though. That's why I thought there would be more hiking groups. There is one for moms with small children, but I don't think I'd fit in very well. Back to the drawing board, and the OP's question before "they" send me to my room for being bad. Meetups would work very well in certain areas, just not here.

Last edited by mlulu23; 07-10-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
Hi NY Gal, I’m not a man but I want to share a personal experience.

I had a wonderful FIL...very nice guy, good conversationalist, well-read, very kind. Shortly after he and my MIL moved to a retirement community, she sadly became very ill, was in ICU for awhile then died, before she even got to enjoy retirement.

I couldn’t believe the number of widows showing up at his door with food, flowers, etc., trying to quiz us about how she was. She hadn’t even died yet, she was in the hospital! These ladies weren’t her friends, or worried about her...they were man-hunting, that was obvious. It was like circling vultures.

After her death, he did remarry...twice, and outlived both of them.

I never forgot that. He had a fat pension, I am sure that helped, but it appeared to me that just a warm body was all that a lot of these women were looking for.

In short, the competition is/was fierce.

Parting thought: Even if you are living with a partner, you can still be extremely lonely. I wish life was simpler and more transparent, but it is not, and the older you get, the harder it all is.

One suggestion...are you in touch with any men that you knew in high school or college? Sometimes it’s easier to go back to someone who knew you back in the day...at least you have that in common.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:31 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
I’m not manhunting, but live in a rural community. My daughter, who is urban, suggested Meetup...lollollol! We also tried church for meeting people...they wanted our money, not our friendship. We talk to our dogs a lot.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm aghast at suggestions to older women seeking companionship in this thread to find bottom of the barrel characters who no one else wants (at post #50), and men from or released from penitentiaries/prisons!

incredibly bizarre mind-boggling suggestions -

it partially shows an attitude and belief by some toward older women

and those two suggestions suggest that anyone is better than no one

What if the same suggestions were given to older men seeking companionship - to seek women who are bottom of the barrel who no one else wants and women from penitentiaries/prisons!
Should have put a in that post. No one would expect anyone to hang around a prison to meet potential mates. We were just kidding.

Now on the other hand, I've thought about hanging out at Sex Addicts Anonymous meetings and looking for the dropouts.

Jada Pinkett Smith reveals sex addiction problem | Latest News Videos | Fox News

Quote:
Jada Pinkett Smith revealed on her Facebook Watch talk show that she had a sex addiction problem when she was younger.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:06 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
in_newengland,

That sounds dreadful!!! And I cannot believe nor fathom your advice in the last paragraph and the overall perspective you are presenting!

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement