Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:50 PM

385 posts, read 324,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i didn't check your math but make sure you are not compounding the 8% ... the 8% is always based on the fra amount ... so it is 8% of the fra amount that gets added each year not 8% on the 8% the year before compounded.
Understood -- my method was to take the FRA benefit for a year, multiply X 8%, and then add that amount to the FRA benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 07:21 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,009 times
I'm 61, in May of next year I'm taking my social security for no other reason than, I don't need it.

An extra 1700 bucks a month to **** away, yes please.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Are the vast majority of SS beneficiaries delaying taking SS until age 70 working full-time right up to that date, and not only working full-time, but making the exact same amount (or higher) than they made in their 65th year?
I don't know about the vast majority but I am delaying until 70. I retired at 62 so no, I am not working until the bitter end. I am 68 now.

Based on conversations with people and from reading posts here and elsewhere, I think most people do not delay SS. It is not a slam-dunk decision for everyone. It depends on what your financial situation is: savings and other sources of income, how long you think you will live, whether you want to leave money for the kiddies to inherit or whether you want to maximize your annual spend amount and leave nothing, what your spouse's SS status is. All those things affect the decision. I ran lots of scenarios with various tools that are available before I decided.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm 61, in May of next year I'm taking my social security for no other reason than, I don't need it.

An extra 1700 bucks a month to **** away, yes please.

True - you could use the 17 $100 bills to light up your ceegars! Or use a $50 bill if you want a ceegar every day.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:51 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i didn't check your math but make sure you are not compounding the 8% ... the 8% is always based on the fra amount ... so it is 8% of the fra amount that gets added each year not 8% on the 8% the year before compounded.
As always, Mathjak, this is so helpful.
It still doesn't change my action, but at least I now can view it correctly. I was assuming it was compounded. Thank you for making it crystal clear.

Still going to hold off taking my benefit at 66. At 67 I will reevaluate. Having half of DH's has certainly sweetened the deal.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:20 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I don't know about the vast majority but I am delaying until 70. I retired at 62 so no, I am not working until the bitter end. I am 68 now.

Based on conversations with people and from reading posts here and elsewhere, I think most people do not delay SS. It is not a slam-dunk decision for everyone. It depends on what your financial situation is: savings and other sources of income, how long you think you will live, whether you want to leave money for the kiddies to inherit or whether you want to maximize your annual spend amount and leave nothing, what your spouse's SS status is. All those things affect the decision. I ran lots of scenarios with various tools that are available before I decided.

I just read an article that postulated that taking SS as early as possible was a winning move based on the scenario that SS will be out of money and facing cuts by early as 2028. Therefore getting several years of full benefits was > waiting for higher (and subsequently reduced) benefits.

This is not the original article but covers the same subject.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...rry-2018-06-07

Old 07-03-2019, 03:21 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I just read an article that postulated that taking SS as early as possible was a winning move based on the scenario that SS will be out of money and facing cuts by early as 2028. Therefore getting several years of full benefits was > waiting for higher (and subsequently reduced) benefits.

This is not the original article but covers the same subject.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...rry-2018-06-07
nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that won't happen .

Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Not for the older crowd. They are not going to cut for the older crowd, they may close some loopholes. But I hate these kind of articles. Only stupid people can write stupid story like that. Sorry to use the stupid word twice but the whole thing is just stupid.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 AM

30,374 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Woman View Post
My post had nothing to do with another rehash about the pros and cons of collecting early or late. It had to do with misleading articles stating everyone loses 8% a year if they don't wait to collect. People just take that statement at face value and don't think about the missing checks and the costs of raiding your investment accounts and the likelyhood of a real break even date well into your mid 80s.
Good point. Other factors people should consider are when do you need it, how does that affect your taxes, how long do yu expect to live.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:20 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Good point. Other factors people should consider are when do you need it, how does that affect your taxes, how long do yu expect to live.
if anyone can guess correct on how long they expect to live i certainly would buy lottery tickets too .

that is one of those questions we can never answer until after the fact. both my parents were long gone at my age .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement