Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 04:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times

Advertisements

We focus a lot on the financial aspects of preparation toward retirement but there is an emotional aspect too. Mentally and emotionally you must be ready for the major change in your life.

My wife learned last evening that the husband of a long-term friend and co-worker died suddenly yesterday afternoon. He was 62, fit & trim, an avid bicyclist, and appeared to be in great health.

He had a 30+ year GM/UAW pension and was working as a bank teller after the local plants closed. He wife is 61 and qualified for a pension from her job at age 60. The last conversation my wife had with her friend involved retirements and the friend stated how much she and her husband were looking forward to their own retirements.

Since my wife and I fall into the grouping of "Financially Ready but Uncertain", sad tales such as these make us reconsider the uncertainty component. Our next meeting with our Financial guy is 1-1/2 weeks away, with a couple major financial milestones at work scheduled for Oct 1st and Nov 15th. I learned yesterday there will be no benefit for me to stay till mid-Jan 2020 (I thought there would be 2020 vacation pay-out eligibility), so mid-November 2019 leaped to the fore front as my targeted retirement date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 04:30 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
If you want to retire and you are financially ready, do it. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Many times a spouse will develop an illness which makes travel difficult or impossible. That will surely throw a spanner into your retirement plans.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"....John Lennon..

Old 05-15-2019, 05:01 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We focus a lot on the financial aspects of preparation toward retirement but there is an emotional aspect too. Mentally and emotionally you must be ready for the major change in your life.
I am still working on the emotional part, going from the accumulation phase of pouding away every extra dollar into a 401k, to now being in the withdrawal phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
My wife learned last evening that the husband of a long-term friend and co-worker died suddenly yesterday afternoon. He was 62, fit & trim, an avid bicyclist, and appeared to be in great health.
This happened to a friend of mine. He had been talking with a friend for a long time about doing a cross country motorcyle ride when his friend had a heart attack and died. He then put together that trip and did it (solo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"....John Lennon..
Great quote, but per Wikipedia....
The lyrics of "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" contain the famous Lennon quote "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." However, the expression of this sentiment can be traced back to a 1957 Reader's Digest article, which attributes it to Allen Saunders.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:04 AM

178 posts, read 124,466 times
I know I’m not emotionally ready to retire. I’m so glad that I’ve been able to transition to 75% time at work so I can do this gradually.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
^^^ That can be an ideal solution, for those who can make it happen.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:17 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about the people who retire but then don't know how to adjust to their new life, LOL.

What the heck, I'll talk about that for a second, too. That can be a problem for some people, after all.

If that's your problem, it helps a lot to join a few groups such as a men's breakfast club, a book club, a bike riding group, etc. At the very least, get out of the house every day and go somewhere where you'll start seeing familiar faces. A library, neighborhood pool, rec center, a place you volunteer, places like that.

Although it's great to do things on your own (for example taking hikes on your own), you'll feel like you're on vacation. A long and wonderful vacation, to be sure, but if you want to make that emotional transition to feeling like you're retired, that seems to happen after you start connecting with people.

.... OK, enough for the side bar. Getting back to the OP's topic, I agree that life is short. It's tricky to make sure all your financial ducks are in a row, but once you feel you can swing it I'm a fan or retiring sooner rather than later.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:20 AM

178 posts, read 124,466 times
If you’re in a city large enough to have them Meetup groups can be a great resource for finding folks with similar interests.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnkw View Post
If you’re in a city large enough to have them Meetup groups can be a great resource for finding folks with similar interests.

Great suggestion.

The worst thing to do, IMO, is stay inside your house doing nothing but watching tv. TV is like salt. Its function is to add extra flavor; it's not meant to be a lifestyle.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I am still working on the emotional part, going from the accumulation phase of pouding away every extra dollar into a 401k, to now being in the withdrawal phase.

You may want to read "How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free". The book was originally published in 2004 so some references and comments are quite dated (such as: "23% of the population uses the internet to book air travel") but the premise behind the book is still valid.

Every job, no matter how frustrating, provides the worker with three things: Structure, Socialization, Purpose. The book then concentrates on helping the reader identify things in their own lives, out side of work, which can provide the same things.

No wrong answers other than allowing the TV, La-Z-Boy, and Refrigerator to become your three best friends in retirement.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 05-15-2019 at 06:50 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
I am my grandfathers grandson.

My grandfather worked until suffering a stroke at age 86.

At 70 years old as much as I try I can't envision not working. Why not? Why retire and do what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement