Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times

Advertisements

^^ Wow what a crappy company you work for. Is that even legal to be raked over coals for missing work due to a surgery? They should be ashamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 06:47 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
Everyone has their own tipping point, I guess.

About a year ago, a co-worker left on Friday and didn't return Monday. Later we found he'd dropped from a heart attack mowing his lawn. A few months ago I heard of another coworker leaving suddenly and he didn't return either. A month later we found out he'd had a stroke and is now house-bound. He and his wife's retirement plans are now gone.

A few months ago, I started having shortness of breath, etc. etc. problem. Eventually docs discovered serious coronary artery blockage. One set of stents put in a week ago, the next are scheduled soon. This got me to thinking about time and the fact my own personal stop sign is somewhere out there. Maybe over the next hill, maybe several away. You never know.

At work our current project is now in the typically mis-managed stage -- that of customer changes, late equipment due to outdated purchasing process, frantic redesigns and sending engineers to the hinterlands on extended travel to correct something that could have been done right in the first place.

After missing 5 days due to my heart stents, HR haughtily informs me the new corporate rules for leave only cover a consecutive 5 day week. No go if your minimum 5 days are spread across something besides M-F. They inform me they're denying my leave and if I don't use vacation hours it's unpaid. And to top it all off, I get a message warning me I could face disciplinary action for taking "unapproved" time off -- and I need to do something about it immediately.

I took them at their word and did something about it. I took a half day to visit the accountant/FA. Then came back and submitted the request for my retirement separation package.

I'm emotionally ready -- and then some.
That's probably what they were hoping you would do. It's sad but some companies find excuses to push out older employees.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's probably what they were hoping you would do. It's sad but some companies find excuses to push out older employees.
Can you blame them? Think of the older workers when you worked, the ones that just couldn't do it anymore, were inflexible with change, and got lots of paid time off.

The thing with leave and consecutive days was a thing where I worked and they started that in the 80's.

Many people here worked for small companies. When you work for a Fortune 10 0r 20 company with hundreds of locations and a six figure number of employees things are quite a bit different. Few decisions are made at a local level. Absenteeism and disciplinary action are decided by a machine.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 AM

290 posts, read 250,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Wow what a crappy company you work for. Is that even legal to be raked over coals for missing work due to a surgery? They should be ashamed.

I know it seems that way, but it's actually a pretty good company. They are so big that departments are huge and unresponsive when handling employee stuff. Immediate coworkers and bosses are great. Some suit somewhere thought "We'll make the longer term sick leave kick in only if it's a full week -- they can use PTO if it's shorter" and probably never considered time off might not align M-F. Some other suit somewhere else probably decided that if employees are entering sick leave time unauthorized, they need a stern message to stop. The two suits likely aren't even in the same building. So I'm out of PTO due to Dr visits, don't realize the rules changed on longer term, and run afoul of both suit's department rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Many people here worked for small companies. When you work for a Fortune 10 0r 20 company with hundreds of locations and a six figure number of employees things are quite a bit different. Few decisions are made at a local level. Absenteeism and disciplinary action are decided by a machine.
This is a good point as well. In Uber-Mega-Corps (made up name) things get so widely distributed the individual business units have almost no contact with each other. One friend pointed out that it would take near god-like abilities for the leaders to keep track of all this -- and occasionally offensive things like this happen. My answer to him was: The C-level execs ride in bizjets and have 7 figure salaries. They're paid like gods and treated like gods. We should expect god-like performance.

So I'm gonna spend a little more time fishing.

Note: This isn't as sudden as my first post sounded. We've been considering and calculating different dates and trying to talk myself into finally pulling the ripcord. I guess this made me think I've really had enough of work and pushed me over the edge. But I was balanced precariously already.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am my grandfathers grandson.

My grandfather worked until suffering a stroke at age 86.

At 70 years old as much as I try I can't envision not working. Why not? Why retire and do what?
Seriously? You couldn't think of anything to do with yourself if you didn't have an employer telling you what to do?

It's one thing to love your job and want to keep working; it's quite another to work simply because you can't envision doing anything with your time if you retired.

I have so many activities, I can't find time for them all. And believe it or not, I just added another. My wife and I have been attending training at the City of Miami's Citizens Police Academy and we just had our graduation ceremony Tuesday night at Police headquarters. We will now be walking the neighborhood periodically throughout the month and reporting suspicious activity to the Police Department for further action/investigation. We also will be helping with crowd control and other activities at certain City events. Additionally, we will be meeting with police representatives and other volunteers on a monthly basis, as well as going on "ride-alongs" with police officers.

I've been so busy lately, I haven't even had a chance to play poker in the last couple of months; and I used to average 12-15 hours/week doing so. I went to and played in the World Series of Poker at this time last year, but this year there is just no time to do so.

Of course, as many know, our favorite retirement activity is traveling the world. We take several trips a year, including one "major" one of a month or longer. Last year that trip was to Southeast Asia where we visited Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Taipei, and Hong Kong. We're working on trips to Europe for later this year, as well as a return trip to Asia next winter. That latter trip will include a return trip to Singapore, as well as visits to Malaysia, Phuket (Thailand), Indonesia, the Maldives, the Seychelles, Oman, Abu Dhabi, and Dubai.

You asked, why retire and do what? My response would be: why continue working* when there is so much to see and do.

* Of course, this doesn't apply to those who must continue to work for financial reasons.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you want to retire and you are financially ready, do it. Tomorrow is uncertain.

Many times a spouse will develop an illness which makes travel difficult or impossible. That will surely throw a spanner into your retirement plans.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"....John Lennon..
Indeed. My parents experienced poor health in retirement and never really had a chance to enjoy it. I decided to retire early, at 52. My wife retired about the same time and we had seven good years enjoying retirement together when she died after a five-day illness when I was almost 59. Had we waited we would not have had any retirement together.

I guess I don't understand the "emotionally ready" concept. I was always pretty task oriented and retirement was simply a new phase of life that we were entering. You do the best that you can do. I'm 70 now and as busy as I want to be...sometimes busier.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Of course, as many know, our favorite retirement activity is traveling the world. We take several trips a year, including one "major" one of a month or longer. Last year that trip was to Southeast Asia where we visited Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Taipei, and Hong Kong. We're working on trips to Europe for later this year, as well as a return trip to Asia next winter. That latter trip will include a return trip to Singapore, as well as visits to Malaysia, Phuket (Thailand), Indonesia, the Maldives, the Seychelles, Oman, Abu Dhabi, and Dubai.
Aren't the above cruises that you take? just asking - for clarification.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:49 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Can you blame them? Think of the older workers when you worked, the ones that just couldn't do it anymore, were inflexible with change, and got lots of paid time off.

The thing with leave and consecutive days was a thing where I worked and they started that in the 80's.

No, I don't blame them. I'm still working for one of those mega companies and I totally agree with you. I currently have about 200 hours of sick time saved up and about 5 weeks of vacation. This is unheard of for younger employees not to even mention I know I get payed significantly more than most.
I have 2 years to go before I'm 62 and am nervous. I do everything in my power to be flexible with change and be as useful as possible but I know in the corporate office across the country in another state, I'm just a number and a number that is costing them more than most employees do.
All I can do is hope they don't find a reason to can me, even though legally they don't even need a reason. Thinking about being bored once I'm retired in a couple of years is the least of my worries.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:13 PM

45 posts, read 29,724 times
I was never "emotionally ready" to loose 8 hrs a day/40 hrs a week to a job.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:50 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
You may want to read "How to Retire Happy, Wild and Free". The book was originally published in 2004 so some references and comments are quite dated (such as: "23% of the population uses the internet to book air travel") but the premise behind the book is still valid.

Every job, no matter how frustrating, provides the worker with three things: Structure, Socialization, Purpose. The book then concentrates on helping the reader identify things in their own lives, out side of work, which can provide the same things.

No wrong answers other than allowing the TV, La-Z-Boy, and Refrigerator to become your three best friends in retirement.

My husband and I really enjoyed this book. It made my husband increasingly enthusiastic at the thought of retiring. He left Ford (an ME) last August and has been SO happy! We now sing the "Happy Wild and Free" song when we are in a giddy mood. Melody is "The Farmer In the Dell." I keep adding lyrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement