Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

It's just an older version of what I normally look for in a man.

So in regards to the older version: must take care of himself, be in decent shape, active, witty, similar moral values, financially independent, competent (I've met men who brag that they don't know how to cook and clean ), etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 01:31 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,407,050 times
For me, attraction is truly about the personality, excellent character/moral values, the man's heart/outlook on life/perceptiveness, and the quality of the man's eye contact. Having a sense of humor that clicks with mine is also very important. I like when a person can make me smile or laugh.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
The old cliché about inner beauty is truly what I've always looked at in everyone. My husband (TW) and I knew each other for about a year when we actually started dating. His friend introduced us to each other. I had been in a really bad 1st marriage that was extremely abusive and I wasn't interested in dating again. Needless to say my ex did quite a number on me.

TW and I became friends 1st and I saw what a wonderful human being he is. He helped me heal by showing me without even trying that not all men were like my ex.

TW's parents came here from Ireland. He's 5'8, around 190 lbs which he carries well. He has a little tummy which is okay with me. At 68 years old his hair is now salt and pepper which has thinned quite a bit on top. He has a neatly trimmed beard that is mostly white. To me he's the most handsome man in the world and I wouldn't care if he lost all his hair, gained weight or lost all his teeth, I'd still love him.
I was married once and had 3 other long term relationships but none of those choices were uplifting.
I haven't yet met a man who is good for me. Part of that is my fault for having so much baggage and due to it I have lived alone for 18 years. I have no desire to repeat my mistakes.

But surely there are good men, matured, reasonable, steady-headed, serious when need be and a real partner. Severe heart problems could make me shy-off. I have always been more attracted to men around 5' 8" not that much taller than me and rather lanky like Adrian Brody. Buffed out big tall guys are not my style but I wouldn't turn one away if he fell into my lap. I just don't want someone slovenly. A bit of a pot is okay. I'd be happy to take walks to help both of us maintain or gain some shape. I am not a fan of the unshaven scruffy beard look so popular today. Clean shaven is very attractive and feels nice on my face.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:03 PM

225 posts, read 395,199 times
I'm with you. My loss is still pretty fresh but at 63 most men in my age range would be risky health wise. That risk would only increase as we got older. So no. I'll just maintain my widow status and not become a caregiver again. I will see what life is like as a single older woman.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,941,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
But no one goes looking for toothless and completely bald.
Hmmmm...really???

If I was ever to become single (and please I hope not) this is my list...

Animal lover (this is a must)
Bald or very short cut (no long hair or ponytails) and gosh forbid he has a tooth missing...no problem ;-)
Clean and smells nice (but not from cologne)
Non Smoker
Very Little Drinking (maybe one or two drinks a week if that)
No drugs
Not super thin in fact I would prefer a little more meat on his bones so a little overweight is just fine.
Casual dresser
Prefer brown skin but this is not a deal breaker
Tall but this also not a deal breaker
NO BEARDS (a little facial hair is fine....I actually kind of like a little scruff)
Isn't afraid to show his emotions
No one with anger issues

Basically just a person that will dance with me in the kitchen, have picnics in bed, will garden with me, likes cuddle time, likes to hold hands and hug for no special reasons, is not overly affectionate though (kissing all over me etc especially in public), will cry with me, laugh with me, talk with me, likes the simple things in life (taking drives through the countryside, sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee, watching the lightening far away, hanging out with animals, etc.)

Basically someone just like my husband :-)

Old 08-12-2018, 05:00 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Physical: no pony tails or nasty ungroomed beards.
Oh come on. Is that your final answer?

I have worn a beard since I was a teenager. It is a part of me. I get compliments on it. Maybe about once a year, total strangers [females] approach me asking if they can touch my beard. So it can't be all bad.

Up until recently, I have had short hair, generally cut to 1/4 inch in length. But when dealing with cancer treatments [surgery, then radiation and hormone therapy] I decided to grow my hair out. I thought the ponytail thing looked neat. So I am trying to grow it out to ponytail length. But it is hard, I am not used to having all this hair on me. Now you are saying that a ponytail is a turn-off?

If this cancer ends up ending me, I just wanted to finally say that I was the cool kid for one moment in my life.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:23 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Oh come on. Is that your final answer?

I have worn a beard since I was a teenager. It is a part of me. I get compliments on it. Maybe about once a year, total strangers [females] approach me asking if they can touch my beard. So it can't be all bad.

Up until recently, I have had short hair, generally cut to 1/4 inch in length. But when dealing with cancer treatments [surgery, then radiation and hormone therapy] I decided to grow my hair out. I thought the ponytail thing looked neat. So I am trying to grow it out to ponytail length. But it is hard, I am not used to having all this hair on me. Now you are saying that a ponytail is a turn-off?

If this cancer ends up ending me, I just wanted to finally say that I was the cool kid for one moment in my life.
I believe the topic is hypothetical and not an actual personal ad looking for someone.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:51 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
So many are looking for someone that is "fit". IOW not overweight.

All I see around here in my small town are seriously overweight young men! Is this a new trend? Or people just not eating right.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:29 PM

361 posts, read 737,727 times
Intelligence, kindness, and integrity are essential.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I like them rich, terminally ill, and with a good-looking grandson.
Damn, good thing I wasn’t swallowing any food or drink when I read that.

Reminds me of the busty blonde airhead wife married to the senile moneybags in Best In Show, minus the grandson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement