Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Much Money Do You Have Saved for Retirement?
Less than 100K 28 9.89%
100K - 250K 27 9.54%
250K - 500K 35 12.37%
500K - 750K 27 9.54%
750K - 1 mil. 29 10.25%
1 mil. - 2 mil. 72 25.44%
2 mil. to 5 mil. 51 18.02%
Over 5 mil. 14 4.95%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 09:02 AM

1,131 posts, read 387,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I just don't see the point of polls like this. What someone else has or doesn't have, doesn't affect my life.
I know this was from 2018 and I thought the same thing, but maybe this gives people planning their retirement a chance to compare and see if they may be in decent shape relative to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 09:06 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
My goal, if life proceeds without any disruption, is to claim SS in 16 months at 70yo. That should supply 60-63% of my annual income at that point so I won't have to be too concerned about the market ups & downs going forward. If I sell my home & move somewhere cheaper that ratio would go down with the sale profits invested.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:07 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
I know this was from 2018 and I thought the same thing, but maybe this gives people planning their retirement a chance to compare and see if they may be in decent shape relative to others.
good shape comparisons can only be made by comparing to similar cost of living areas ...

no one would ever want to compare living here in nyc or westchester to amounts needed in Appalachia

Old 09-21-2020, 09:34 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
good shape comparisons can only be made by comparing to similar cost of living areas ...

no one would ever want to compare living here in nyc or westchester to amounts needed in Appalachia

In Appalachia you must have a car. For a single person who is okay without a car if there is a good public transportation, that actually brings cost of living in a house in Appalachia up towards living in a small studio in Manhattan. While Manhattan would still be more expensive, the difference is probably not more than $10k per year.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:44 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
These polls really don`t mean anything. Have no way to know, if, people, are being truthful.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
These polls really don`t mean anything. Have no way to know, if, people, are being truthful.

Just why would people not be truthful?? The forum is anonymous to start with, and nobody even knows which anonymous voter is voting for what. The poll results are about what I would have guessed.

Btw, from the way the poll is constructed, I gather the person who started the thread a couple of years ago apparently considered retirement to be financially entirely waterproof if you have saved $5M :-).

Old 09-21-2020, 10:13 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Just why would people not be truthful?? The forum is anonymous to start with, and nobody even knows which anonymous voter is voting for what. The poll results are about what I would have guessed.

Btw, from the way the poll is constructed, I gather the person who started the thread a couple of years ago apparently considered retirement to be financially entirely waterproof if you have saved $5M :-).
I found out from reading many forums, some people are not truthful, who knows why.
And you think you are anonymous you are not. I know that a few times on various forums, I usually post them as a jokes, when the jokes came back from my brother whose wife’s cousin was reading that forum, that’s how I know, I was not anonymous.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:23 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
I retired in Feb at 63 w/ 1.2 M saved in 401k, roth's, mutual funds, savings account. Wife is non-working and turns 63 in Dec. Have not taken SS yet and will probably wait until wife turns 65. No house payments or bills and will draw down savings. Will convert approx 25K from 401k to Roth each year prior to drawing SS which will keep ACA costs low. Wife will draw SS on my SS which will be approx 50% of mine depending on filing dates. Once we start drawing I'm estimating SS for the two of us at approx 50-52K. That alone is more than enough to live comfortably in STL. As of today...... that's the plan.
That sounds like great planning on your part.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:25 AM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I think the problem with this poll thread and others that are very similar (especially with financial topics) is that the information being sought is readily available on the internet in a more reliable form than as an anonymous poll on a forum like this. If the OP was able to find this forum they are probably capable of finding the answer through a few minutes of research on the internet. It seems a little bit odd that the questions and poll are directed to this anonymous forum group when the poll results will be totally meaningless. The motivation to ask seems a bit odd in the first place and then why would anyone be bound to give a response -- accurate or not?

Old 09-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I found out from reading many forums, some people are not truthful, who knows why.
And you think you are anonymous you are not. I know that a few times on various forums, I usually post them as a jokes, when the jokes came back from my brother whose wife’s cousin was reading that forum, that’s how I know, I was not anonymous.

I don't really understand how that would be not anonymous. I don't now your real name, and you don't know mine - that is what I mean by anonymous. Somebody who knows me in reality could probably identify my posts as mine based on my life story (some of which I mentioned in this forum), but unless you actually know me in real life, how would you know who I am just from this forum? I mean yeah, the CIA could probably easily track me down from this forum, but I don't care about that level of identifiability since I don't do anything that the CIA is likely to be looking for :-).

The closest you could narrow down the search is that you'd know I reside in Back Bay in Boston, and am a woman. That corresponds to the description of more than 8,700 different persons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement