Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Much Money Do You Have Saved for Retirement?
Less than 100K 28 9.89%
100K - 250K 27 9.54%
250K - 500K 35 12.37%
500K - 750K 27 9.54%
750K - 1 mil. 29 10.25%
1 mil. - 2 mil. 72 25.44%
2 mil. to 5 mil. 51 18.02%
Over 5 mil. 14 4.95%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:57 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i agree.money and amounts are freely talked about on many forums where the goal is more focused on doing better , having more ideas for a plan , and seeing what you cn cherry pick for your plan that others may do .

much different crowd then here which is comprised of the have and have nots. you have some with the goals above and others who just want to commiserate with others who may have less than . that is why there is such a focus on all these how about we are all supposed to be doing articles and surveys .
I was writing a post along the same line of thinking.

This forum is truly a cross-section of group dynamics and psychology.

One thing we all have in common is that we all have a computing device and internet access. We can search for and create information that we can use to help ourselves and others. Personally, I'm interested in the financial advice of working class people who have ended up with a 7-figure retirement. I want a comfortable retirement, I mean, don't we all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
People are totally pverreacting to this innocent poll. I mean, people are using a screenname that is relatively anonymous, at least if it is specific to c-d. Then, the poll itself is anonymous without even that screename attached. And, no specific amounts are asked for only relatively broad categories. No one is asking for even the brokerage(s) where your accounts are!

Don't worry, OP - all those taking umbrage here will within the week be giving it away in threads that don't even ask for it, or are the slightest bit more indirect in their questions!

Old 09-17-2018, 07:09 AM

36 posts, read 40,953 times
Quote:
it is the old martians land on earth and visit a hospital as a first stop and report back that mostly everyone on earth is sickly .
I'm trying to figure out that analogy. Am I the Martian, the forum the Earth, and the topic of retirement savings the place where all the sick people are?

Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
the analogy is that different types of people make up different forums . you will always find financial forums have people that usually have more assets then the typical averages .

so it is not that in polls they are lying , it is just the mix and weighting of those who frequent certain forums .

if it was your first time on earth and you randomly walked in to a hospital you would see loads of sick people . you may think that is the collective make up of earth . but no , you just stumbled in to a hospital and that is why most people are there .

Old 09-17-2018, 07:19 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
Quote:
the analogy is that different types of people make up different forums . you will always find financial forums have people that usually have more assets then the typical averages .

so it is not that in polls they are lying , it is just the mix and weighting of those who frequent certain forums .

if it was your first time on earth and you randomly walked in to a hospital you would see loads of sick people . you may think that is the collective make up of earth . but no , you just stumbled in to a hospital and that is why most people are there .
Let me just add ... don't eat the food either.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:30 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
People on a retirement oriented board are generally concerned with the matter, and probably better off than a basket of people you'd get off the street. Almost half the respondents are millionaires.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:33 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
not surprising since many like myself spilled over to here from the investing forum

Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifold View Post
Thanks, nice to meet you, too.

It's funny, the reaction I expected was not, "Oh my, we don't talk about that sort of subject here," but "We did that poll several times already, here's the link." Like I said, it's run of the mill stuff on other forums.

Yup, very possible. I wanted to keep it simple for the purpose of the poll (polls require you to ask simple questions), but there are many possible factors, if you're looking at "retirement readiness" overall.

I was also wondering what the average age is here, but I think I'll hold off on that poll. That's probably off limits, too, lol.
Just because its " run of the mill" on other fora, doesnt mean it is here.
Here, its considered "nosey".

I ll answer your question, but not take your poll.

If you want to know more about me/us, you should read my other posts, i have spelled out in all BUT dollars and cents where i/we are, have been, and are hoping to go.

All you need to feed your "nose-i-ness", "curiosity " or " information seeking" is to READ what people post, get to know certain posters through their words, is to READ their posts.

Ill answer your question, the way my father ALWAYS abswered such questions: " my income is between me, my employer and the IRS".

SO, to answer your question, ill respond in kind, " my assets are between me, my financial adviser , the IRS ".

That, and perhaps that i DO pay my fair share of taxes, is all you need to know.

I could have $10,000,000.00 or the $50 in my pocket, but i dont care if its "anonymous" or not, its still NOT your business.

And i dont care WHAT they do on other fora. Perhaps some just like to brag, just like the stupid " i have $2.5m in retirement, am 65, and have a $150k pension, will i be alright to retire in 5 years"? Many here take that NOT as a bonafide question, but as a "humble brag".

And i noticed YOU didnt divulge YOUR assets listing to us, so why should WE divulge to YOU??? WE dont know if you even took your own poll!!!

I always use the "think " emoji , as a signature, hopung soneone who reads my posts might THINK when they read it and other posts. so here it is:

Old 09-17-2018, 08:50 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
My objection isn't to providing the information, it was to the poorly crafted poll. Cash in a retirement savings account may be all someone has for retirement or it may be a minuscule part of their retirement planning, or they may have no cash savings at all because they have something besides cash savings that leave them better positioned than 99% of people. As I said before, there is no real information to be gleaned from this question in a vaccuum.

My guess is the OP has a decent sized savings account and wanted to pat himself on the back if enough people said they had less than that, without any recognition that they may have 10 times the OP's assets in other forms.

In any case, this isn't bogleheads or some other finance oriented forum, this is one subforum on a very larger, general interest forum. So it's not terribly surprising it's a different cross section of people responding than you get on a forum which is focused investing and personal finance.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:10 AM

36 posts, read 40,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My objection isn't to providing the information, it was to the poorly crafted poll. Cash in a retirement savings account may be all someone has for retirement or it may be a minuscule part of their retirement planning, or they may have no cash savings at all because they have something besides cash savings that leave them better positioned than 99% of people. As I said before, there is no real information to be gleaned from this question in a vaccuum.
Thanks, Captain Obvious. I've addressed this several times in the thread already, including just a few posts above yours.

Quote:
My guess is the OP has a decent sized savings account and wanted to pat himself on the back if enough people said they had less than that, without any recognition that they may have 10 times the OP's assets in other forms.
The condescension is getting predictable at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Just because its " run of the mill" on other fora, doesnt mean it is here.
Here, its considered "nosey".

I'll answer your question, but not take your poll.
No you won't.

Quote:
If you want to know more about me/us, you should read my other posts, i have spelled out in all BUT dollars and cents where i/we are, have been, and are hoping to go.

All you need to feed your "nose-i-ness", "curiosity " or " information seeking" is to READ what people post, get to know certain posters through their words, is to READ their posts.
Great suggestion. I'll read all the hundreds of members' posts, in the hopes of gathering a simple piece of information which they probably won't divulge anyway, because the forum is scared of discussing the topic. That should only take a couple of decades.

Quote:
I could have $10,000,000.00 or the $50 in my pocket, but i dont care if its "anonymous" or not, its still NOT your business.
Why so defensive? Why so sensitive? Good lord, what a bunch of fragile flowers there are in here.

Quote:
And i noticed YOU didnt divulge YOUR assets listing to us, so why should WE divulge to YOU??? WE dont know if you even took your own poll!!!
Of course I did.

Actually, though, you caught me out. I'm a secret government agent, and the poll is just an elaborate ruse, designed to gather financial information about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement