Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 PM

155 posts, read 119,123 times

Advertisements

I have had this same dilemma as we are very involved with our grandchildren. However, we are aware that in a few years, they will be very busy with their own friends and activities. We have decided to stay put and continue to travel, as well as do things we enjoy as a couple, while continuing to enjoy our grandkid time, fully aware that this will change in the future. As we both enjoy traveling and visiting other family members in other parts of the US, we will likely be doing more of that in the future.
Our home here is paid off and although we live in a fairly high COLA we are doing ok so far. At this point we see no reason to move elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 01:08 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am fully aware that this current situation of constant contact with closeby kids and grandchildren can change. I live outside Washington DC and love the area. This is not the retirement capital of the world and I still work full time despite being 68.

I hear many stories about people moving to Florida and hating it. I may consider moving to the Annapolis area for retirement.

I would consider staying in my current home but the mortgage would not be paid in full. If I sell and buy elsewhere i can buy a house in cash with no mortgage.

Why wouldn't you stay within striking distance of DC and downsize so your home is paid-for and has low ownership costs? At age 68, you don't need a town with a top school system. You want safe, convenient, access to top health care, and good public transportation options so you don't have to drive to see family. There's constant bus service from Annapolis to MARC/Metro. You can certainly buy a modest house in Annapolis for a fraction of what DC costs. Looking on Zillow, I see several single family homes a bit over $300K close to DC commuter bus stops.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:18 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
10k is low for property taxes.

That's a matter of perspective. To me 3K is high.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:23 PM

102 posts, read 539,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
To me, the DMV is Dept. of Motor Vehicles. What is the acronym to which you refer?
DC
Maryland
Virginia

It's a bit of a tri-"state" area.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement