Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:49 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

I'd settle for clear plastic wrap having a tab or dot of color so you can find the end the first time you use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember the Tylenol/cyanide thing, so I get the need for secure packaging to prevent lawsuits, but can't they come up with things that are easier to open? I am so tired of buying food or other products that practically require wirecutters to get to. The shrink-wrapped stuff is the absolute worst.
Look up a Worx ZipSnip tool. Yes, $34, but worth its weight in gold. Designed to cut through those plastic clamshell packages.

And it seems to me as though pill bottle could come with a reversible cap. I have no children in my house, I don't need a child safe bottle. Give it to me with the child safe top and then let me flip the top over for easy open.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
All manner of things in mechanics, transportation and energy has been a resounding disappointment over recent decades! Exhibit A is self-sustaining, net energy-producing fusion. Famously, this was “10 years away, for the past 50 years”. Now there’s ebullient talk of it finally becoming real. Really? In 10 more years?

By my reckoning, the pace of progress with machines, gadgets and transducers was so heady and vigorous form the late 19th century through the mid 20th. Since then, the pace has slowed. We blame regulation or environmental activism; or, we can blame risk-aversion, rapacity of near-term profit and lack of civic engagement. We can blame demographics, poor education, or whatever else. Whatever our politics, a scapegoat is readily available. But then what? How do we solve the problem?

Writing in late-November 2018, we’re only months away from the 50th anniversary of the first manned moon-landing. When will the next landing occur? By whom? Of those who were already alive to witness the first landing, how many will still be alive, when the next occurs?

I don’t believe in utter doomsday, or inevitable decay. I do believe that eventually humans will return to the moon, go on to explore Mars, and even outer planets and their moons. Eventually. But what if the period from the late 20th century through say the mid-21st ends up being a pause and stagnation, en route to resumption of progress?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
A pain med that isn’t addictive and doesn’t cause constipation.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:53 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Why can’t they..

Find the fountain of youth

Eradicate STDs that are now resistant to medication

Eradicate HIV which destroys poor communities

Solve world peace

Solve world hunger

Solve world poverty

Solve government corruption

Solve social inequalities along race, gender, color, religious culture, etc lines

For a human race that’s suppose to be intelligent, we just aren’t too smart (referring specifically to the world peace part)

Old 11-28-2018, 02:53 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
You can't 'cure' cancer. A spontaneous remission occurs when the host body somehow can detect that cancer and utterly destroys it. But as long as it masquerades as part of the host, the immune system leaves it alone.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:19 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
A car with warning MESSAGES instead of idiot lights. Yes, I know that you can buy a gadget that hooks up to the computer and gives you codes you can look up, but I don't want to mess with that. Once I had a "service engine soon" light that went on because I'd driven off with the gas cap sitting on the back of the car as I refilled the tank and I hadn't replaced it. I was long gone by the time the darned light went on and I was pretty SURE that was the problem but worried that (a) it was something worse or (b) something worse WOULD happen and I'd ignore it because I'd figure it was the missing gas cap.

Any excuse to get us to take the car to a "stealership", right?

Old 11-28-2018, 03:36 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they develop a universal flu vaccine? (a "one and done" or at most, a two-phase shot like the new shingles vaccine)

I do know they are supposedly working on it but it's been taking forever.

I have never gotten a flu shot because I'm very allergic to neomycin which is an ingredient in all flu shots of the type that is used today. It's only a small amount but on the advice of my allergist I avoid it. It's also in the "old" shingles vaccine (Zostavax) so I never got that either. However, the new one (Shingrix) is a biologic flu vaccine which does not require the addition of an antibiotic.

There is currently a "universal" flu vaccine recently entering into Phase III trials. The problem is that it is not a stand-alone vaccine; the patient also has to get a standard current flu vaccine as part of the regimen, because the 'new' one (M-001) works synergistically with the normal vaccine (which has neomycin in it.) Catch-22. There are other types of universal flu vaccines in development but they are in much earlier stages.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:00 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Look up a Worx ZipSnip tool. Yes, $34, but worth its weight in gold. Designed to cut through those plastic clamshell packages.

And it seems to me as though pill bottle could come with a reversible cap. I have no children in my house, I don't need a child safe bottle. Give it to me with the child safe top and then let me flip the top over for easy open
They have those. Or ask the pharmacy for easy open caps.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they develop a universal flu vaccine? (a "one and done" or at most, a two-phase shot like the new shingles vaccine)

I do know they are supposedly working on it but it's been taking forever.

I have never gotten a flu shot because I'm very allergic to neomycin which is an ingredient in all flu shots of the type that is used today. It's only a small amount but on the advice of my allergist I avoid it. It's also in the "old" shingles vaccine (Zostavax) so I never got that either. However, the new one (Shingrix) is a biologic flu vaccine which does not require the addition of an antibiotic.

There is currently a "universal" flu vaccine recently entering into Phase III trials. The problem is that it is not a stand-alone vaccine; the patient also has to get a standard current flu vaccine as part of the regimen, because the 'new' one (M-001) works synergistically with the normal vaccine (which has neomycin in it.) Catch-22. There are other types of universal flu vaccines in development but they are in much earlier stages.
Scientists have been working on a universal flu vaccine for years, probably at least a decade now. The problem is that the flu virus is very wily and even getting the flu only gives one immunity to that strain. I've seen the science behind this, can't explain it without looking it up. It will be wonderful if it ever comes to pass. I wouldn't even mind having to get a flu shot every few years, rather than yearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement