Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:13 AM

284 posts, read 362,472 times

Advertisements

I retired a year ago and am about to turn 59. My teeth have always bothered me and I’m seriously considering braces. Would like to hear from others who maybe got braces later in life or some kind of cosmetic “fix” and if you feel it was worth the trouble and expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 04:45 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have not, but I’m a firm believer in fixing what is fixable, regardless of age. I’ve had a bit of crookedness on the lower teeth and I’m thinking of getting those clear plastic ones that gradually straighten. I’m 70.

You are still young, OP. You should definitely do it. Why haven’t you done it before?

Old 12-09-2018, 04:58 AM

17 posts, read 9,493 times
My teeth alignment always bothered me growing up. I had more of a overbite than I was comfortable with. When my kids grew to need braces, I got braces the same time as my kids. Granted at that point in life I was still fairly young (as my kids were young teens), but I do not regret doing it. I figured I was going anyhow, and I am glad I did it. I found it gave me more confidence with my smile.

If something is fixable, and it is bothering you...fix it!! We are fortunate to have the options so many didn't have.
The bottom line is, we are never too old to feel good about ourselves!

Old 12-09-2018, 08:04 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
A good friend and I both got crowns at age 60+. We are both happy we did. Though now I have to look at the "before" picture to remember just how bad it was, LOL. It's a lot cheaper here ($400 per), so that was some incentive.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
I had braces put on at age 35 that included wearing "head gear" at night.

I've had several crowns. Very expensive, a lot more than $400 per.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:36 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
You answered your own question. Your teeth bother you. Assuming you can afford the fix I see no reason not to do it and a lot of reasons to do it.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,016 times
I had braces at 52 . I always hated how my front teeth slightly crossed . I am glad I did it but now almost 20 years later they are starting to move back.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:11 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
A good friend and I both got crowns at age 60+. We are both happy we did. Though now I have to look at the "before" picture to remember just how bad it was, LOL. It's a lot cheaper here ($400 per), so that was some incentive.
My husband just redid 2 of his crowns at age 68. Before that his old crowns bothered him, it cost money but they are essential to good chewing.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:18 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
I retired a year ago and am about to turn 59. My teeth have always bothered me and I’m seriously considering braces. Would like to hear from others who maybe got braces later in life or some kind of cosmetic “fix” and if you feel it was worth the trouble and expense.
I had braces as a kid during the 1950s for an overbite but nowadays, and especially in your situation, something like Invisalign would typically be the answer.

I did two dental improvements in later life. When I was about 50 I got the NightWhite whitening system from my dentist. My teeth had always been naturally yellow (not from either diet or smoking, which I never did) and at that time they used a high peroxide formula that worked wonders. I went from yellowish to super white in about a months time. It was totally worth it and lasted for about 10 years before needing a touchup -- which didn't work nearly as well as the original because by that time they had switched to a lower-peroxide formula.

In my early 50s I did the Invisalign thing which straightened a number of front teeth beautifully. I did continue to wear the retainers at night for about 6 years which they say you don't need to do but since I didn't mind them it was no big deal. Eventually I stopped and I do notice that the teeth have slowly but gradually shifted back toward where they were before the Invisalign. So apparently if you are looking for a permanent, rest-of-your-life dental fix, any orthodontia (whether braces or Invisalign) will require ongoing maintenance in the form of continuing to wear a retainer at night afterward. The Invisalign was worth it while it lasted, definitely.

A permanent fix would be extraction and implants, obviously. I did opt for an implant last year because of an unexpected extraction due to an ill-fitting crown on a back molar. Very pricey but because I refused to consider a denture and didn't want bone loss, absolutely worth it. But that was a functional fix rather than a cosmetic one.

ETA: About crowns, my last two were zirconium rather than porcelain ones. I would not get a porcelain crown again. I still have 3 porcelain crowns and when those eventually fail I will get zirconium replacements for sure. Nowadays the cost of a zirconium crown has come down to within a few hundred of a porcelain one. Totally worth it, especially if you have sensitive gums because the zirconum crowns don't need a metal base. No crowns are cheap nowadays, even the porcelain ones are in the $1300 range and the zirconiums are between $1500 and $1800 depending on the tooth and the dentist.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 12-09-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 11:58 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Braces or Other Cosmetic Fixes at this Stage of Life

I wouldn't no. I mean, why tamper with perfection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement