Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Woolworth’s was my Disneyland. If I went the long way home from school I could pass by one of those stores. I would visit the parakeets and the turtles they sold. The aisles were full of all sorts of wonderful treasures. The favorites of the lunch counter were French fries dipped in a generous amount of ketchup and a glass of Coca-Cola. Sometimes a splurge would be an ice cream sundae.

Many a present was bought from Woolworth’s. It was easy to find something for everyone on a kid’s allowance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
... Woolworth, Grants, Kresgees...
Wow, what blast from the past! Never heard of Grants, but the other two, yes! I remember Kregees having a little copper box next to the cash register where they would deposit the tax! Utz chips and a Coke at the counter with my Grandfather!

Woolworth's had great french fries!

Old 12-17-2018, 12:21 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
Speaking of lunch counters or soda fountains, almost ever drug store had one, and all the ones I went to always had the same smell about them,it was a pleasant smell.
I really miss those. I believe there is still one on Nantucket, and perhaps a few more here and there across the country.
As to the Kresge K-mart thing. I would assume that the K-Mart part came later and that the Kresge stores themselves came first because I remember K-mart first coming around the time I was eleven or twelve. but Kresge was around from the time I was very little.
At Woolworth's counter I remember the hot turkey sandwich and Tuna rolls and Chocolate milkshakes.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:47 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
We had Woolworth's and GC Murphy's. I could spend hours in those stores. If anyone ever gets to Central Texas, there is an old fashioned 5 and dime on Main Street in Fredericksburg called Dooley's. They have the same wooden floors and little glass dividers for the bins. They purposely keep it looking and smelling (thanks to the floor wax) like the old time stores. It's like taking a step back in time!

Old 12-17-2018, 12:53 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I remember Kresge Woolworth's, Ben Franklin, Grants, Neisner's.

They were large stores with better quality and more selection than dollar stores. Creaky wooden floors lunch counter...and I always went to see the parakeets and canaries in the back of the store.

My mother would buy me a grilled cheese at the lunch counter. It was a lot of fun as a kid, being turned loose while my mother shopped for stockings or lipstick or whatever grown ups bought in the 5 and 10.

When I got old enough to go on my own, it was for bobby pins, hair rollers, rubber bands, paper clips, nail polish...everything you "needed.'

Most things were laid out on tables instead of being stacked up high like stores do today. Some toys we always got were rubber balls and little plastic canary whistles that you filled with water. And always "bubbble stuff." for blowing bubbles.

I don't think you could get most of the stuff anywhere else. That's why you went to the 5 and 10. And it was fun.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:20 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,420,847 times
Here's a bit of trivia....at one time the lunch counter at Woolworth's was the largest chain restaurant in the US. Early 60's they had balloons with a price of $.01-.39 for a banana split. Unlike the dollar stores you could buy a goldfish or turtle at Woolworths.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Here's a bit of trivia....at one time the lunch counter at Woolworth's was the largest chain restaurant in the US. Early 60's they had balloons with a price of $.01-.39 for a banana split. Unlike the dollar stores you could buy a goldfish or turtle at Woolworths.
Yup I remember many times I had those balloon banana splits. I miss those.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Here's a bit of trivia....at one time the lunch counter at Woolworth's was the largest chain restaurant in the US. Early 60's they had balloons with a price of $.01-.39 for a banana split.Unlike the dollar stores you could buy a goldfish or turtle at Woolworths.
Don't forget parakeets, we used to buy them there.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Last night I was thinking about dollar stores and I realized they are basically like the old five and ten's I knew as a child.
That got me wondering how many on here remember the five and ten, and also stores like Woolworth, Grants, Kresgees. Those were around where we were and came before the stores like K-mart and Bradlees which are also now mostly gone.

How many remember the old stores?
Once at a Dollar Store, I found a bin of industrial quality, long-shafted drill bits of various sizes. They were priced at 50 cents each and turned out to be of such high quality, that they never get dull. I bought 50 of them and wish I'd gotten more. I've given some to mechanic friends, who tell me they're the best they've ever had. If you look closely at the stock in those stores, you can sometimes find gems like that, that are priced at pennies on the dollar. I can't remember ever finding anything but ordinary junk in the traditional five and dime stores.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Don't forget parakeets, we used to buy them there.
^^^^ I remember getting a sweet parakeet at Woolworth's at the mall.

My favorite "dime store" was the downtown J.J.Newberry, which we called Newberry's. Like Woolworth's, it had a lunch counter, as did most department stores when I was a kid. I loved eating there with my Mom.

I got my Dad a special pocket hand warmer at Newberry's so he would feel comfy when he went duck-hunting. I had an ulterior motive. One of my favorite dinners was crisp-skinned wild duck.

We had a Rexall drugstore near our closest grocery store. I don't remember it as a drugstore, though, but rather another place to get novelty items, cosmetics and comic books.

There was so much variety in those dime stores, and you could handle most of the inexpensive merchandise easily, as nearly nothing was sealed in plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement