Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 04:20 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times

Advertisements

Last night I was thinking about dollar stores and I realized they are basically like the old five and ten's I knew as a child.
That got me wondering how many on here remember the five and ten, and also stores like Woolworth, Grants, Kresgees. Those were around where we were and came before the stores like K-mart and Bradlees which are also now mostly gone.

How many remember the old stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 05:36 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
The 5 and 10's had better quality.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
As a child, going into a five and dime was a real adventure - so much crowded into the store! You could find ANYTHING there and yes, you could find something to buy with even a little change if it was burning a hole in your pocket.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:52 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The 5 and 10's had better quality.
I was going to post the same thing. Not everything in there was only a nickel or dime, though; they were like mini department stores. But you couldn't find some of the practically disposable tools, kitchenware and whatnot (stuff dollar stores sell) anywhere.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:58 PM

310 posts, read 202,897 times
My most cherished retail memory was the local Woolworth's 5 & 10 in the early '60s. Magic, simple as that. Wooden floors, soda fountain, bins of candy. Now it's a CVS.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
My most cherished retail memory was the local Woolworth's 5 & 10 in the early '60s. Magic, simple as that. Wooden floors, soda fountain, bins of candy. Now it's a CVS.
That's wild, my hometown Woolworth's also became a CVS. I loved Woolworth's. It was the only place I could afford to buy Christmas gifts for my family of 9 on my babysitting earnings. Dad was always grateful for that new comb!

Old 12-16-2018, 06:42 PM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Last night I was thinking about dollar stores and I realized they are basically like the old five and ten's I knew as a child.
That got me wondering how many on here remember the five and ten, and also stores like Woolworth, Grants, Kresgees. Those were around where we were and came before the stores like K-mart and Bradlees which are also now mostly gone.

How many remember the old stores?
As a kid growing up in Miami back early 70's, I used to walk a couple of blocks to the Navy Surplus Store and a Ten Cent Store...if memory does not fail me...on 8th street (Calle Ocho) and 19th Ave. They were about next to each other and you could find just about anything from sporting goods, clothing, cards, etc... Now days, I believe the place is a parking lot surrounded by a cell phone store and other businesses.
Remember the Woolworth as well...those were the days.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:36 PM

221 posts, read 192,928 times
For a little tyke the awesome thrill was looking up and watching the money transfer. Overhead wires had that tube which the handwritten order and payment were placed, then launched to the cashier cage. Appeared the space age was created in my small hometown five and ten. Watching it zoom back, completion of the sale, added to the experience.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
The $ stores don't have the lunch counters. I miss those.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
I remember my grandmother taking my sister and me to the "downtown" Woolworth's. This was the early 80s. Sometimes it was to Christmas shop, and we'd each get $5 to spend. My sister would find something right away, but I would annoy everyone because it took me forever to make a decision. We took the bus from my grandmother's neighborhood about 10 minutes from downtown, and it was such an adventure. I remember being fascinated by the escalators - the 2nd floor was the fabric section. Sometimes we ate at the lunch counter. I vividly remember my first club sandwich there, and also open-faced turkey sandwiches. And then when we'd get back to their house, my grandfather would say "Who's there?"
And my grandmother would always say "It's just us chickens!"

Miss them both.

That Woolworth's is a one-story Walgreen's now, but the facade still has the Woolworth's lettering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement