Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:42 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

After retiring some 17 months ago, today I start my horse life!
I am going trail riding with a wonderful local horsewoman and then sort of auditioning in the arena for her program in therapeutic riding (I would volunteer as a horse handler for riders with disabilities). I had thought to ask about leasing a horse, like a timeshare, from her, but she asked me if I'd go trail riding with her to help exercise her string of horses. Did I die and go to heaven?

I found out last summer that my ongoing fatigue doesn't stop me from riding, as it it's not aerobic or strenuous. I may get tired walking up the hill to the barn, but can ride well. I went for a week of riding vacation last summer and while I kept conking out while not on horseback, was able to do almost all of the riding.

(Still being treated for anemia with no effects that I can feel, and being worked up for possible lupus or something. That's just a minor update- do not want to start another thread about health!)

This woman is a fine horsewoman. I am really looking forward to riding with her and learning so much. Her property abuts 3000 acres of BLM land by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Montrose, CO. Gorgeous country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Best wishes... I too may return to horses someday in retirement (Had many up to age 20, while living near Estes Park CO).

Last week in UT parks I wish I had a horse!, especially in Bryce Canyon NP.

Do venture over to Waunita Hot Springs some off-season / mid-winter day (horses and hot springs).

I have (3) friends who have recovered from CFS (2) from Colorado.

Hang in there. Keep enjoying retirement !

Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Horses are great but can be dangerous. Just remember the older we get the more prone we are to broken bones. I took a fall off a horse at 45 and shattered my collar bone. A titanium plate, 7 screws later and now 10 years later, I am done with them.

Last edited by LakeLifePA; 06-10-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 AM

813 posts, read 601,152 times
Robert is right on the money with this comment. I know a LOT of horse people who have had injuries, most from a horse they have had for years. I quit riding 5 years ago, and I'm realitively young.

Good luck, Rg

Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
After retiring some 17 months ago, today I start my horse life!
I am going trail riding with a wonderful local horsewoman and then sort of auditioning in the arena for her program in therapeutic riding (I would volunteer as a horse handler for riders with disabilities). I had thought to ask about leasing a horse, like a timeshare, from her, but she asked me if I'd go trail riding with her to help exercise her string of horses. Did I die and go to heaven?

I found out last summer that my ongoing fatigue doesn't stop me from riding, as it it's not aerobic or strenuous. I may get tired walking up the hill to the barn, but can ride well. I went for a week of riding vacation last summer and while I kept conking out while not on horseback, was able to do almost all of the riding.

(Still being treated for anemia with no effects that I can feel, and being worked up for possible lupus or something. That's just a minor update- do not want to start another thread about health!)

This woman is a fine horsewoman. I am really looking forward to riding with her and learning so much. Her property abuts 3000 acres of BLM land by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Montrose, CO. Gorgeous country.
Good for you! Go for it! Volunteering for therapeutic riding is a wonderful opportunity to watch how horses can change lives. Are these kids or veterans? Its fascinating. Dont listen to the naysayers. Yes we can get hurt but we can get hurt in our cars. We can catch alot of dread diseases and die but do you want to live your life waiting for could happens or enjoy yourself? Im over 70, still ride, still own horses so do friends who are in their 70s and 80s and I know of someone in their 90s who is about to buy another horse. I have a friend who stepped off a curb wrong, fractured her ankle badly and tore a few tendons. Crap can happen anytime, anyplace. Do what makes you happy! Good luck! Sounds like a great place to trail ride!

Old 06-10-2019, 10:42 AM

169 posts, read 180,122 times
Congratulations, BDL! I know you've been waiting a long time and looking forward to this. I'm glad to see it's beginning. The service you'll be providing will have many rewards, to yourself included!

Old 06-10-2019, 10:51 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I envy you.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Horses are great but can be dangerous. Just remember the older we get the more prone we are to broken bones. I took a fall off a horse at 45 and shattered my collar bone. A titanium plate, 7 screws later and now 10 years later, I am done with them.
I've been riding all my life, both ring and trail. Have had two major falls in the past and was lucky not to break anything. Got hit by a motorcycle on a bicycle on the bike path in Boston. Of course I know stuff can happen, but am more likely to have a car crash than anything. I know horseback riding isn't an old age plan, that's why I'm getting on with it.

The trail riding is largely on the flat with mountain views. I have found that an old back injury (from my job as a psych RN in an assault) makes it hard for me to go steeply downhill on horseback because my back just gets stuck when I try to lean back. I was very glad to find that injury didn't stop me from riding.

The therapeutic riding is about 50 percent kids and 50 percent adults. I am really looking forward to horse handling for veterans. I think the kids are a lot of autism more than anything. The job of the horse handler is to handle the horse safely at all times, not to engage with the rider. I also look forward to the happiness of the parent(s) who can take a little break and see their kid doing healthy empowering things, sets them at ease to be part of it.

A major reason I moved to Colorado was I was uninspired by any horse life I could have in eastern MA. Uninspired by the landscape and the summer weather. It was the first indication I had to move, when I thought of the only travel I felt like doing was from eastern MA to guest ranches in the West, and why stay in the East.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:23 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Does this mean you'll now be known as brighthorselover?

Old 06-10-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Does this mean you'll now be known as brighthorselover?
Heh. I still favor dogs for my household. Am probably getting my sixth senior this week if the vet gives him an okay for quality of life.

As much as I admire horses and enjoy riding and think they are all beautiful, I've never gotten that sense that horse fanatics have of "the magic of horses" and have never had a relationship with a specific horse. I think I'm safe with dogs in my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement