Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:23 PM

813 posts, read 601,152 times

Advertisements

I won't discourage you any further, I do still ride motorcycles and 4-wheelers though! I got tired of being thrown, kicked, bitten, and stepped on! But these were working horses, not pleasure horses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 03:20 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
I am so happy for you! (And jealous) You sound like you are truly living a dream and I would love to be able to do the same. I am too fearful of falling because I had open heart surgery a few years ago and then about 2 years after that, I fell (just walking!) and broke my shoulder. I'm so afraid of falling and doing something that could harm my chest incision from when I had the heart surgery.

I used to ride all the time when I was younger and once owned a horse for a while. I was obsessed with horses most of my life. It's sad to me that now I have enough money to do just about whatever I want and am retired, so I have all the time to do what I want, but I'm too scared to ride. Ugh!

Anyway, I can just imagine how thrilled you are to have this opportunity! I don't know if you recognize my user name, but I see your posts a lot and that made me want to respond to your OP and let you know that I am really happy for you.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:29 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've been riding all my life, both ring and trail. Have had two major falls in the past and was lucky not to break anything. Got hit by a motorcycle on a bicycle on the bike path in Boston. Of course I know stuff can happen, but am more likely to have a car crash than anything. I know horseback riding isn't an old age plan, that's why I'm getting on with it.

The trail riding is largely on the flat with mountain views. I have found that an old back injury (from my job as a psych RN in an assault) makes it hard for me to go steeply downhill on horseback because my back just gets stuck when I try to lean back. I was very glad to find that injury didn't stop me from riding.

The therapeutic riding is about 50 percent kids and 50 percent adults. I am really looking forward to horse handling for veterans. I think the kids are a lot of autism more than anything. The job of the horse handler is to handle the horse safely at all times, not to engage with the rider. I also look forward to the happiness of the parent(s) who can take a little break and see their kid doing healthy empowering things, sets them at ease to be part of it.

A major reason I moved to Colorado was I was uninspired by any horse life I could have in eastern MA. Uninspired by the landscape and the summer weather. It was the first indication I had to move, when I thought of the only travel I felt like doing was from eastern MA to guest ranches in the West, and why stay in the East.
I rode for 20++ years and was taught when riding downhill, keep over the horse's center of balance, not leaning backwards. Also, if you don't already know this, never traverse a steeper hill on the diagonal. A horse can trip over their own feet moving sideways and down.

Enjoy riding! I gave it up when my last horse had to be put down and was too sore to enjoy it any more because of arthritis.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Thank you for the encouragements. I had a grand ride. The woman I rode with wants someone to ride her trail horses (older and very well trained) while she rides behind on her green three-year-old. Not really in mountains, more fields and trails. No switchbacks. Eventually some arena work.

I just like seeing the countryside from the back of a horse. The woman wanted to talk. And talk and crack herself up with stories and stuff. It makes me get quieter and more so!

Driving back, seeing the white peaks and listening to country western music on the radio, it felt like vacation. Except I LIVE here and don't have to go back to work or anything.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:45 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
How fabulous!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man. Or in this case woman, right?
It's a fact the rhythm of the horse's walk and being carried does something very positive for the soul.
Miracles can happen in therapeutic riding programs! Very exciting!
Australian saddles are the most secure for me.
Enjoy!

Old 06-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
And she's riding English- I assume! I find a Western saddle feel so much safer.
She probably started side saddle back as a young proper woman!

Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Thank you for the encouragements. I had a grand ride. The woman I rode with wants someone to ride her trail horses (older and very well trained) while she rides behind on her green three-year-old. Not really in mountains, more fields and trails. No switchbacks. Eventually some arena work.

I just like seeing the countryside from the back of a horse. The woman wanted to talk. And talk and crack herself up with stories and stuff. It makes me get quieter and more so!

Driving back, seeing the white peaks and listening to country western music on the radio, it felt like vacation. Except I LIVE here and don't have to go back to work or anything.
THAT'S the ticket! You can "hike" further on horseback, and still be back in time for dinner. No need to do the thrill rides. It's just hiking, but you go further and you don't get sore feet. Plus, there is a lot of satisfaction in feeling it - where you and horse are in same rhythm, you don't bounce all over the place. OK, I know there are better terms. Just my take on it. Here's wishes for a fabulous avocation that will also broaden your connections to a whole new group of people!

Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
For those who want you to worry about getting hurt by falling off just reply you don’t intend to fall off.

Actually by just the limited isometric excersize of walking on the horse, your muscles are getting stronger and your bones are keeping their strength. True, some people have balance and fear issues and are better off not making the attempt, but if you can still get on with confidence it can only keep you healthier.

You indeed have found the perfect situation. I think I’m older than you and wanting to get back into it again. If only it wasn’t so hot and humid where I am.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

You indeed have found the perfect situation. I think I’m older than you and wanting to get back into it again. If only it wasn’t so hot and humid where I am.
To be honest, the first reason I wanted to move to Colorado was I couldn't picture riding in the East Coast humidity in the summer and was always visiting guest ranches out West in the summer. Like about 20 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement