Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:41 AM

705 posts, read 562,340 times

Advertisements

There are things I can't eat anymore. No nuts or seeds, no corn or popcorn, no spicy foods, no red sauces.

Like everyone there are a things I've always disliked and that hasn't changed. I don't eat liver or other organ meats.

I can't even eat even a small piece of cilantro, it tastes like soap to me and I finally found out the issue is genetic. There are people that have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows us to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves.

I love vegetables but really hate Brussels Sprouts.

We don't eat as much as we once did. We have oatmeal for breakfast most of the time, sometimes an egg and toast or fruit. We skip lunch but have our supper earlier in the day, generally around 2:00. We don't eat out often but when we do, we share a plate most of the time and it's more than enough for us.

I don't eat at Buffet's because I think they are nasty due to a few things I observed years ago, I guess that's where I'm what you would call finicky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 07:54 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I'm not finicky, but my stomach sure is! I used to be able to eat anything/everything, but now find my digestive system is getting more and more sensitive....but also confusing. Some nights I can have pizza, no problem, other times it's like an inferno in my stomach! Things like cereal and fruit used to be no problem...now, well, we won't go into that! And again, some times no issue at all! Just another fun part of getting older, I guess!
Actually what you describe is very common for those of us with IBS. Although it may seem inconsistent, it's because the problem is often not just WHAT you eat, but also HOW and/or WHEN you eat it.

For example, I have eight foods that have showed themselves (over the past five years of dealing with IBS ... it's a learning experience) to be "safe" for my extremely finicky gut. For example, plain angel hair pasta is one of them. I normally eat a serving (2 oz) along with a cup of a steamed vegetable and some plain 2% Greek yogurt during the afternoon, roughly between 1 and 4 pm and all is fine. If I am out or busy and can't eat it until 5 or 6 pm instead, thus having an empty stomach since last eating at say 11 a.m., I have a 50/50 chance of my gut rebelling against even that "safe meal." And if I change things up and try to eat the same thing after 9 pm, it is almost guaranteed that I will have a painfully nasty IBS flare-up within 30 minutes.

In the second case, my gut is protesting against too many hours having passed since it last had to "do any work" digesting food. The ideal eating schedule for me is to eat something every 2 to 3 hours but that isn't always practical. In the third case (after 9 pm) it is probably the fat content (even just 4 oz of lowfat yogurt) that my gut simply cannot handle after having been 'on the job' for the past 12 hours. I can eat plain white rice with pieces of poached chicken at any time of the day or night with no problem, but there is zero fat in that combo. For some reason my stomach becomes less and less tolerant of any fat at all, the further into the day (night) I go. In the morning everything has "reset" overnight.

My suggestion would be to make note of the circumstances surrounding the times that pizza or the other things upset your stomach. Did you eat them on an empty (or emptier than usual) stomach? Did you have something different to eat or drink along with it that time? What about time of day? And definitely if you are stressed, any tummy-touchiness you have will be magnified, for sure.

ETA: Another problem scenario for me is how fast I eat. The faster I eat anything (no matter how safe), the greater the chances that my gut will revolt very quickly. Of course, if I have let myself get 'hungry' over 4+ hours, the tendency is to eat quickly. Always a huge mistake. It's ridiculous but it can easily take me a half hour to eat a single bowl of oatmeal. The days of coming home and grabbing a quick handful of anything and tossing it down just to get something to ease the hunger pangs are definitely over... unless I am willing to pay a painful price. :-(

Old 12-24-2018, 08:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
BBCJunkie...great post.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:59 AM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Not finicky....but as I age, I have to WATCH what I eat....a lot less junk food.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:40 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hydrochloric acid gets less as we age in our stomach. Buy some 'Super enzymes' at the Health food store...take em before you eat...you'll thank me...such an easy fix.
Sometimes even simple papaya enzymes will do the trick....oh, also a table spoon of apple cider vinegar after a meal does the trick, also.

Aging just means you add a couple things to adapt...helping the body do what it used to easily.
Yes, my brilliant EX-doctor told me to take acid blockers! Which I did for about a year, until having NO stomach acid made me a complete mess! Is the product actually called "super enzymes" or is there another name? I tried the apple cider vinegar thing, but just can't gag it down! I also tried the papaya enzymes, but didn't do a thing for me....I'm open to suggestions!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:40 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Mom is 82 and I've installed a landline phone just so we can understand each other. As she says: "My eyesight and hearing are going, but my TASTE BUDS are doing just fine!!!

Like mom, it's time for light beer, so salt (except for the eggs), and nothing out of a can, ESPECIALLY Campbells' and other "faux" foods. And less food anyway.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:47 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Actually what you describe is very common for those of us with IBS. Although it may seem inconsistent, it's because the problem is often not just WHAT you eat, but also HOW and/or WHEN you eat it.

For example, I have eight foods that have showed themselves (over the past five years of dealing with IBS ... it's a learning experience) to be "safe" for my extremely finicky gut. For example, plain angel hair pasta is one of them. I normally eat a serving (2 oz) along with a cup of a steamed vegetable and some plain 2% Greek yogurt during the afternoon, roughly between 1 and 4 pm and all is fine. If I am out or busy and can't eat it until 5 or 6 pm instead, thus having an empty stomach since last eating at say 11 a.m., I have a 50/50 chance of my gut rebelling against even that "safe meal." And if I change things up and try to eat the same thing after 9 pm, it is almost guaranteed that I will have a painfully nasty IBS flare-up within 30 minutes.

In the second case, my gut is protesting against too many hours having passed since it last had to "do any work" digesting food. The ideal eating schedule for me is to eat something every 2 to 3 hours but that isn't always practical. In the third case (after 9 pm) it is probably the fat content (even just 4 oz of lowfat yogurt) that my gut simply cannot handle after having been 'on the job' for the past 12 hours. I can eat plain white rice with pieces of poached chicken at any time of the day or night with no problem, but there is zero fat in that combo. For some reason my stomach becomes less and less tolerant of any fat at all, the further into the day (night) I go. In the morning everything has "reset" overnight.

My suggestion would be to make note of the circumstances surrounding the times that pizza or the other things upset your stomach. Did you eat them on an empty (or emptier than usual) stomach? Did you have something different to eat or drink along with it that time? What about time of day? And definitely if you are stressed, any tummy-touchiness you have will be magnified, for sure.

ETA: Another problem scenario for me is how fast I eat. The faster I eat anything (no matter how safe), the greater the chances that my gut will revolt very quickly. Of course, if I have let myself get 'hungry' over 4+ hours, the tendency is to eat quickly. Always a huge mistake. It's ridiculous but it can easily take me a half hour to eat a single bowl of oatmeal. The days of coming home and grabbing a quick handful of anything and tossing it down just to get something to ease the hunger pangs are definitely over... unless I am willing to pay a painful price. :-(

Is it possible to develop IBS in your 60's? I guess I thought this was more of a life-long thing? I do have other auto-immune disorders, so it's possible I now have another one! Lucky me!

Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Please, God, lemme loose my sense of smell.
I presume this is a joke, but there is reasonable evidence that some zinc products (particularly nasal sprays) can cause temporary to permanent loss of smell in some people. Generally that is considered a negative.

I don't have a great sense of smell, either - I buy a quart of milk every 10 days -2 weeks and use one of those frother things to make foam for the top of my morning espresso. I have to take the milk in to the spouse to sniff because I can't smell if it is starting to turn or not and he can. I can taste it and tell, but I'd rather not, lol.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 12-24-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-24-2018, 10:53 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I discovered I can not eat peanut butter anymore. Love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but they upset the tummy.

Better to have a "large" lunch and small snack for supper.
Me too! Peanuts taste good going down, but then just lie there in my stomach being uncomfortable.

I am not a picky eater, because I like most foods. My appetite has shrunken lately, though. This means I choose things that are healthful and high quality, because there won’t be enough room for the junk.

I choose green leafy lettuce, not iceberg.
Butter, not the yellow chemical stuff.
Whole fruits not juice.
Artisan bread
4 oz of meat is plenty

Strangely, I don’t even find universally appealing foods, like pizza and burgers, appealing anymore.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:54 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I presume this is a joke, but there is reasonable evidence that some zinc products (particularly nasal sprays) can cause temporary to permanent loss of smell in some people. Generally that is considered a negative.

I don't have a great sense of smell, either - I buy a quart of milk every 10 days -2 weeks and use one of those frother things to make foam for the top of my morning espresso. I have to take the milk in to the spouse to sniff because I can't smell if it is starting to turn or not and he can. I can taste it and tell, but I'd rather not, lol.
Buy organic milk. It has a loooong shelf life. We haven’t had to throw milk away since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement