Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:43 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times

Advertisements

Yes, I remember how as a kid I suffered with the second hand smoke, in the car and in the house. And even as a very young child, I KNEW i was being poisoned by it. Luckily, our house wasn't so small, and I had my own bedroom, so I could get away from the most direct exposure. But in the car, no such luck....

About the small houses - when I visited SLC, I was struck by how small all the older houses were. Tiny 2, maybe 3 bedroom bungalows. And the Mormon families routinely raised a dozen kids in these tiny houses! I don't know how they did it. They probably had a boys' room and a girls' room, and had 4 or more kids sleeping in each of those tiny bedrooms, I guess in multiple bunk beds. Probably put kids in the basements, too. And if the families weren't Mormon with a dozen kids, they were Catholic with a dozen kids, all stuffed into those tiny bungalows. One story with a small living room, small kitchen, one small bathroom, and two or three small bedrooms. That was it, for maybe 14 people!

When I had my 3rd child, I went shopping for a 4 bedroom house, knowing that the kids would each want their privacy eventually. Because I grew up with my own bedroom, I knew how important it was for a teenager to have privacy - and I wanted that for my own, too. Luckily I could afford it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 12:08 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
I forgot about smoking in the house and car. My dad smoked cigars, and the smoke made my clothing smell so bad, I was embarrassed by it at school.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:11 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
I wonder if those of us 60 and older will become the last generation to have so much cancer from second hand smoke?

Old 12-27-2018, 02:40 PM

23,225 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I wonder if those of us 60 and older will become the last generation to have so much cancer from second hand smoke?
Interestingly, my Dad smoked for 50 years, quit at 66, and lived on to 96, and miraculously, he never suffered any respiratory problems, never needed an inhaler. Miracles of Miracles! And? My mother breathed in all that smoke for 50 years and she died with no respiratory problems at all. Same with the grandmother who made it to 102, as grandfather smoked right up until he died at 89. But, yes, there are those with a predisposition to respiratory problems.

It's amazing how we never considered it unhealthy back then. But then, back in the 50's, even Doctors were saying it wasn't harmful, smoking.

What's surprising is there wasn't more assaults as a result of being cooped in such small areas, or even murders, particularly during a cold winter.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:23 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Gosh, never realized

My parents did not smoke - at all. I now realize that was a blessing.

My husband grew up with no AC in Miami, FL. My parents always had it but I can't imagine growing up in South Florida with no AC.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Expect something else to get you...

Have had more than a few non-smoker friends die of lung cancer (they didn't have exposure to second hand smoke) Radon? Work env. , pollution? (in Colorado?) yup - brown cloud most days on Front Range. Uranium content in soil is very high in CO and NM. High altitude = more exposure to skin / sun/ ...

Old 12-27-2018, 07:41 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Have had more than a few non-smoker friends die of lung cancer (they didn't have exposure to second hand smoke) Radon? Work env. , pollution? (in Colorado?) yup - brown cloud most days on Front Range. Uranium content in soil is very high in CO and NM. High altitude = more exposure to skin / sun/ ...
I remember that stink from the coal furnace more than the cigarettes...………….

Old 12-27-2018, 08:37 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
I had the amazing good luck to survive so many foolish mistakes, I'd never want to take my chances trying it over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband grew up with no AC in Miami, FL. My parents always had it but I can't imagine growing up in South Florida with no AC.
In those days, houses and buildings were designed for the weather. Now, they build an AC and set a Chicago house down on top of it. I lived in Louisiana in the pre-AC 50s and it was fine.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-27-2018 at 08:47 PM..

Old 12-27-2018, 10:10 PM

23,225 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Did your friends live in the L.A. area during the 60's-70's-80's? During that period, breathing in all that smog was the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day. Yes, even school children were "smoking 2 packs of cigarettes" a day! Exposure to dust can do it as well.

During the nastiest days in Pittsburgh, the smoke from coal, you couldn't even open a window!

Old 12-28-2018, 06:07 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Juxtapose THIS: I'm watching this rural India story about people drinking contaminated water in the same draw area as their excrement goes, they barely own anything other than the cloths on their backs, all are uneducated especially the women, BUT

EVERYONE HAS A CELL PHONE. Whaaaaaaaa???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement