Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:30 PM

48,559 posts, read 34,927,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't vacuum around a mess, I vacuum the whole floor every time--that's what cleaning is all about. I put chairs up on the table, pick up the firewood basket and any cords on the floor as well before I vacuum. Otherwise, the floor doesn't really get cleaned.

But if you just wanted to vacuum a small area, you can set the Roomba to do a spot vacuum, then you wouldn't have to vacuum the entire floor and pick things up to accomplish that.
We all have our different systems.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I had trouble with it banging up my dinner room chair legs.
Anyone else have that problem?
I have had problems with it hitting my white floor boards. The next time I touch up paint I will probably stick on some pads of cork or something to minimize that.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,910,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We all have our different systems.
I had a Doberman. If I dropped some food on the floors, he cleaned them up pretty good. Doubled as a security system, too. Where's the vacuum cleaner you can say that about?

Old 12-28-2018, 06:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Its better to wear out than rust out. Housework is GREAT exercise.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:36 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,910,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Speak for yourself!

Old 12-28-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I had a Doberman. If I dropped some food on the floors, he cleaned them up pretty good. Doubled as a security system, too. Where's the vacuum cleaner you can say that about?
LOL. My dogs are good at that too, what they are not good at is cleaning up their own hair, or mine for that matter.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Meh. Some are physically limited and a Roomba is a good option.

For me, house work is not even exercise, it gets m heart rate up to what? 90 BPM? That's IF I forget stuff on another floor 4 or 5 times in a row. I need it up to at least 145 to be called exercise. While I'm actually at the gym, or taking the dogs out - the Roomba is doing my housework.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:53 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The Roomba is ok, I got one about 5 years ago, it's really not a vacuum at all - it's a sweeper, no air suction involved. Does the job ok as long as the dirt is easily swept up, mine had the brushes that stick out & revolve like a clock break off fairly soon after starting. Also any electrical, extension, or curtain cords will get caught & tangled quite easily bringing all to a stop if not all elevated off the floor before beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Wrong--it does have suction. https://store.irobot.com/default/roo...0/R690020.html

"....and vacuum suction to clean everything from small particles to large debris off your floor."

Also, you have to elevate cords off the floor when you're using a regular vacuum anyway, what's the difference. Also, the brush that sticks out and revolves has never broken off my Roomba in 15 years.

It's also amazing at picking up pet hair.
The difference is that when you vacuum yourself you are momentarily lifting or moving them out of the way while you're doing it....with a Roomba, et al. they have to be permanently out of the way for as long as you're running it. What's the point of using a Roomba weekly? No, you have it on using it every day.

So no, wouldn't work for me because a I don't live a minimalist lifestyle with 3 pieces of furniture and nothing on the floor for it to trip over or get caught on. How does it work with a Christmas tree and presents all around it? ...because I really don't want to plan my house and lifestyle around a vacuum cleaner, but that's just me.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:06 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The difference is that when you vacuum yourself you are momentarily lifting or moving them out of the way while you're doing it....with a Roomba, et al. they have to be permanently out of the way for as long as you're running it. What's the point of using a Roomba weekly? No, you have it on using it every day.

So no, wouldn't work for me because a I don't live a minimalist lifestyle with 3 pieces of furniture and nothing on the floor for it to trip over or get caught on. How does it work with a Christmas tree and presents all around it? ...because I really don't want to plan my house and lifestyle around a vacuum cleaner, but that's just me.
When it bumps into something, it goes around it, or turns a different direction. It doesn't bang into things, just lightly touches them. See this dog/Roomba video for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXLEfsecGNs

If the object it touches it very light, it can move it around a bit.

I like not having wires and boxes and various stuff on the floor, not minimalist exactly, just like a tidy room. I don't mind moving dining room chairs off the floor, etc.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:15 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
I LOVE my Rhooma. I hate to vacuum so I let this little babe do it for me. I don't care about remotes, I just set the Roomba where I want it and press the button. Usually I use it while I'm doing other house cleaning so if I see it not getting into the area I want it to go, I give it a little nudge with my foot and off it goes.

It goes over wall to wall, a large oriental style rug with fringe, kitchen tile, bathroom tile, and about the only thing it gets stuck on is the dog's string toy if I forget to pick it up. I do go around beforehand moving things like wastebaskets or chairs or whatever is in the way. I would have to do that anyway.

It gets dog hair-and the dog isn't afraid of it, just slightly annoyed. I do have a flight of stairs going down to the front door so I put a shoe or anything else that's handy at the top of the stairs and it senses that it's not supposed to go there. I don't run it when I'm out of the house--I run it while I'm cleaning the kitchen or doing laundry, so I'm mostly on my feet anyway in case it needs a nudge. But for a lot of the time, I can sit and do other things that I enjoy rather than vacuuming.

For the carpeted stairs, I have a hand held vacuum cleaner, little thing, Dirt Devil maybe. I hate doing it because I hate vacuuming so much. But I love playing with the Rhooma. I even named it...Ruby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement