Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 02:00 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Well, with regard to SS, mine does not go up every year. It will this year, but there have been some years when it did not change. However, medical insurance, rent for my apartment, food in my local grocery stores, have all gone up.

<snip>

And something to remember..... not everyone who has a low retirement income deserved it for one reason or another. We are not all lazy slugs with no ambition.

Life happens.
The first part is right on. Even our mortgage went up due to taxes going up. About 10% total.

The last paragraph is right on too.

I always had two jobs during my working years. One year i had 4 jobs, rarely slept but was young.

When my medical issues began to weigh in i had to vut back to one job, tgen after spending 8 months total in tye hospital out of a rolling 12 month period, i couldn't keep a job. Thats when i went through all my savings and retirement to keep afloat until all that was gone and i was homeless.

May i never be homeless again. (Crosses fingers and toes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 02:05 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post

<snip>
. This week I fell again and did quite a bit of damage. I hate using a walker but it seems now I'll have no choice, they say it'll help prevent this from happening again.

So, my biggest problem in retirement is my health.
My health has been a problem for about half my life thus far. So much so i was early medically retired at age 40.

So i will have a problem with health in retirement as well.

I also hate using a cane, but hafe for a decade so im used to it. Last winter i was using TWO canes to get around. Hoping to avoid that this winter. Should probably have used a walker then.

Live and learn.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:11 PM

105 posts, read 85,820 times
Biggest problem is money due to husband having to retire early for health reasons. We lost good jobs back in the recession so we were already behind on savings and pensions. I still work part time, but my health is getting worse so I don't know how long I can stay even part time.

My health issues are joint and back related, and it scares me that I could live many years with limited mobility and limited finances. No golden years here. Just rust and dust.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:13 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Health and mobility issues.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Biggest problem for me is that I have still not realized that I don't need every new outfit I see when I shop-online. I simply have NO place to wear all these clothes.

We have a healthy retirement income, so money isn't the issue. I just don't NEED all these clothes. Major goal is to get rid of lots of my work clothes I am emotionally attached to.

I really just need shorts, tees, jeans, jackets and black turtlenecks.

Consider donating to good will.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Retirement - You never get a day off!

Old 12-29-2018, 02:46 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Multiple health issues are my biggest problem, followed closely by financial issues (which would not be as bad if not for the health issues; in 2008 I was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer while uninsured, and paying for surgery, testing, a year of chemo, etc etc put a huge dent in the assets that I had.)

As others have said, someone can be comfortably healthy through most of their life and then WHAMMO get blindsided with one or more medical problems of varying degrees when in their sixties or seventies. If anyone had told me at age 59 that I would have ANY of the problems I now have, I'd have scoffed. But the first one hit at age 60, followed by multiple other New and Unwelcomes between age 62 and 65. It was all downhill from age 62 onward.

The frustrating thing is that I did many things right, lifestylewise. I never smoked, never did drugs, rarely drank and gave even that up during my 50s, stopped eating red meat in my late 40s, was never overweight, and was a poster child for healthy eating (veggies, high fiber, whole grains, etc etc) until my entire digestive system went to Hades in a handbasket at age 62. So you never know.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:08 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
The frustrating thing is that I did many things right, lifestylewise. I never smoked, never did drugs, rarely drank and gave even that up during my 50s, stopped eating red meat in my late 40s, was never overweight, and was a poster child for healthy eating (veggies, high fiber, whole grains, etc etc) until my entire digestive system went to Hades in a handbasket at age 62. So you never know.
You sure don't know. But I imagine you would have had more health problems and earlier had you not lived right before.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:14 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I decided I am going to learn decent guitar improvisation for 'Giant Steps'. Don't know if I have enough time left.

I just listened to it. Wow! Depending on your skill level you may not have enough time. I'm pretty happy playing my acoustic to songs by Spirit, Kansas, Bread, the Beatles. I'm a child of the sixties and seventies and I love music from that era. Playing anything by John Coltrane is going to take some improvisational skills.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:24 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I always worry about money. Even though we always get by, and have a nest egg to draw on, and all our needs are met, I still always worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement